DSD Needs Advice...

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I thought I was doing everything right with my hair and it is growing very well. I don't have a lot of shedding and minimum breakage but....It seems like it is so dry.

It doesn't feel as soft as it should and it seems like I always have to add extra moisture to it to soften it up.
What is going on?
Also what can I do to get that extra shine going? I use shine products but they only seem to last for a little while and then I am back to "dull city"

Does anyone have any recommendations for the dryness and shine? You input is much appreciated.
smile.gif

TIA

DSD

Hey DSD!

Girl I have been having the same problem, I am convinced that it is this crazy weather we have been having in atl. I used Dark and Lovely Naturally smoothing camomile wave moisturizer yesterday before rollersetting and it gave me moisture and shine. I used a little this morning before combing my hair. I like it so far but I've only used it for a few days. But it's worth a try, it smells good, and a little goes a long way! HTH

DSD, I must compliment you on your hair, it's growing and looking very nice. I have the same problem, we just have dry hair overall. I'm experimenting with ION shine spray so far it's been okay. Keep up the good work with your hair.

I hate to tell you this but all that stuff we do to make our hair moist and have shine is only temporary. The air itself is going to suck the moisture from your hair. If it a mattter of you wanting shine and moisture each and every day, then you are going to have to do (wash/condition) your hair more often, but I would recommend simply using about a teaspoon of olive/castor oil on our head. Simply rub it between your hands and run your fingers thru your head. You can do this every other day and you shouldn't have any greasy buildup.

But the main thing is that your hair is healthy and is not breaking or shedding. So you are well ahead of the gain.

DSD..What type of relaxer do you use lye or no lye?
Answer this and then I will have some advice for ya
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
I thought I was doing everything right with my hair and it is growing very well. I don't have a lot of shedding and minimum breakage but....It seems like it is so dry.

It doesn't feel as soft as it should and it seems like I always have to add extra moisture to it to soften it up.
What is going on?
Also what can I do to get that extra shine going? I use shine products but they only seem to last for a little while and then I am back to "dull city"

Does anyone have any recommendations for the dryness and shine? You input is much appreciated.
smile.gif

TIA

DSD

[/ QUOTE ]

How have you been styling your hair after washing? Wet set? Hot curl? Air-dry?

Thanks everyone!
Jaibee it is sort of hot and humid here
smile.gif

Dutches, thank you.
Jen, I only do the olive oil and honey about twice a week.
Edie, I will try the olive oil application.
smile.gif

Atlien, I use Revlon Mild lye.
PBE, I airdry 99% of the time.

I already wash on a daily basis. It may be that I am so used to having my hair up and moist all day. What is airdryed hair that is styled in a braidout or knot set supposed to feel like?

DSD..I live in GA too so I think it is the air my hair dries up so bad when I wear it down.
smile.gif
I asked you what type of relaxer you use because I heard on this forum that no lye relaxers drys out your hair I thought maybe that was the culprit but I guess not
smirk.gif
Maybe your hair is being over or under processed when relaxed this will definitely cause dryness and dullness I experienced it
frown.gif
. But DSD I think it's GA we need to move
frown.gif
I looked at your album and I saw your pictures of how your hair grows uneven, mine will grow the same way never had this problem when I lived in NY. My left side is to my brastrap and my right side is a quarter of an inch higher ain't that some shhhh
shocked.gif

I kept cutting it even but it kept growing the same way so finally I just let it be. But just keep it moisturized like you've been doing because from your pics you are doing something right
smile.gif

OOOOhhh DSD I forgot get some of that Cathy Howse daily moisturizer it's a good moisturizer and it doesn't have that greasy feeling. I think it's good for braid outs and crinkly styles.
smile.gif
Oh and when you say wash daily do you mean everyday because GA is also known for it's HARD WATER!!
smile.gif

Thanks Atlien for all the advice. I wash everyday. I don't think I am in the market for any new hair products as I have spent so much over the past month but I will keep Cathy Howse in mind. Never thought about the hard water thing.

I think I am just gonna put it back up and start using my s-curl again!

I banished my hair's dryness when I started doing twice weekly EVOO pre-shampoo treatments. Once a week will suffice, but my hair just feels so moist and silky from it, I want to do it twice a week!

Here's what I do:

I heat up some regular EVOO from the grocery store. I pour out a tiny bit over half a cup and heat it in the microwave for 25 seconds. I massage this into my hair until ALL of my hair is covered in EVOO.

I then get a halfdollar-sized dallop of KeraCare Dry&Itchy scalp deep conditioner. You can use any old deep conditioner or even conditioner (you don't even need conditioner or deep conditioner for this, really); I just picked this particular one because I wanted to use it up. I spread the deep conditioner all over my hair. Next I wrap my hair in a french twist and tuck the ends under. I use a duckbill clip to secure it and then put on a shower cap.

Next, I sit under my soft bonnet dryer for 30-45 minutes. You can absolutely do this without heat, and you can also try it for more or less time.

When the time is up, I head into the shower and take down the french twist and allow the water to run on my hair for a few minutes. Maybe two or three.

I have been doing this since late March and my hair doesn't even feel like it belongs to me anymore. My hair would always be very dry. If you go back and look at my review posts, where I state the condition of my hair as dry, you'll see only one or two of the recent ones doesn't state that. That's what I started using EVOO as a pre-shampoo treatment.

Also, my hair no long has this crunchy feeling to it and it actually has shine on its own, now. I don't have to supplement any "sorta, kinda, almost, maybe" moisture that my hair used to get before I started doing pre-shampoo treatments.

I hope it works well for you!

Boadicea, thanks for posting that! I am going to try it this evening. I will let you know how it works out. If it is as good as it sounds I will become a regulare part of my reg.

L.Mo. I have never done an acv rinse before but I have heard good things about it. I may have to give that a try in the very near future.

Thanks Ladies!
smile.gif

I forgot you asked about shine, as well. I've found that Salerm 21 imparts a wealth of shine. Have you tried it yet?

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
Boadicea, thanks for posting that! I am going to try it this evening. I will let you know how it works out. If it is as good as it sounds I will become a regulare part of my reg.

L.Mo. I have never done an acv rinse before but I have heard good things about it. I may have to give that a try in the very near future.

Thanks Ladies!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Regarding the EVOO treatment -- you can also try sleeping with it on!

Regarding the ACV rinse -- let us know how it turns out... make sure you dilute it!!
wink.gif

No I haven't. Where can this be purchased? As if I haven't already spent enough money on hair products. I would def have to wait a couple of weeks to purchase!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
L.Mo. said:
[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:

Thanks Ladies!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Regarding the EVOO treatment -- you can also try sleeping with it on!

Regarding the ACV rinse -- let us know how it turns out... make sure you dilute it!!
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I am going to see if I can find the recipe that SweetCocoa uses. She swears by acv rinses!
smile.gif

It's generally $8.49. I don't think I've seen it for less (I think some other ladies have), but I've seen it for slightly more. You can find it in most BSS and you can also purchase it online at www.metrobeauty.com

In some BSS they are kept behind or close to the counter. Usually next to Biolage and other salon products like Sebastians and Matirx, etc.

DSD, I must say your hair is looking fabulous.
Anyway, I think air drying may also be the culprit. Certain hair types and textures don't end up as shiny when air dried as others. Keeping that hair moist is the best thing for you, and you're already doing that. Using a pomade immediately following your co wash will help boosst shine. I am curenlty using Volumax, recommended by someone on this board. I keeps my hair shiny when I slick it back, but doen't appear to have mineral oil, a moisture zapper.

Boacidea,

How often do you do this? Is your hair wet first. I think I will try this also got tons of EVOO that I don't use...

[ QUOTE ]
melodee said:
DSD, I must say your hair is looking fabulous.
Anyway, I think air drying may also be the culprit. Certain hair types and textures don't end up as shiny when air dried as others. Keeping that hair moist is the best thing for you, and you're already doing that. Using a pomade immediately following your co wash will help boosst shine. I am curenlty using Volumax, recommended by someone on this board. I keeps my hair shiny when I slick it back, but doen't appear to have mineral oil, a moisture zapper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!
grin.gif
I never thought of that.

It's this weather girl. Doing more conditioner washes has been helping some. I remember doing EVOO treatments last year when I had the dryness problem and that did help as well.

Oh and btw... DSD your hair still looks great! Looks like you've got a huge growth spurt going on.
smile.gif
clap.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Stormy said:
Oh and btw... DSD your hair still looks great! Looks like you've got a huge growth spurt going on.
smile.gif
clap.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks girl!
smile.gif

Back