Drastic hair change after a breakup...

Rina88

Have you ever done this? Does this happen often? I was reading the thread ROLL CALL! RELAXED/TEXLAXED TYPE 4, past BSL please post! and a user mentioned that she was BSL until she cut her hair to CHIN length "over a man". I don't think I would ever do anything that drastic. But after my last breakup I decided to get serious about me transitioning. I don't know if the breakup really had anything to do with it, but I do recalling that person saying how he did NOT like curly hair, and by his look you would think that curly hair shot his dog or something:ohwell:. That sort of made me uneasy and wonder what he would think if I transitioned.

So have you or anyone you know made a drastic hair change after a breakup (cut, color, or style) and why?

Not exactly. I had a very ignorant comment from some random dude. I figured my man is going to love me for me and not just my hair. I was transitioning and just decided to chop off all my relaxed hair. So, I ended up with about 2" of hair and loved it!

My hair is between CL and SL and there's only a few relaxed ends in the front, the rest is natural. I cut it myself and missed spots..it's usually in cornrows under a wig or in a bun.

I shaved all my hair off in june because of a bad breakup, but I always wanted to go natural it was just the push I needed to do it. It was a now or never type thing.

I have.... Sophomore year of college broke up and next hair appointment I went in and said..."cut it off" I would never do it again tho... unless I just wanted something new or fresh~

I had been transitioning for about 10 months and when it was clear that things were officially done, I went into the bathroom and cut off all the straight hair--like 5-6 inches. Sometimes you just need a fresh start.

I did it and regret it to this day... I was at APL and cut to ear length...why? Just crazed.Foolishly said I wanted a FRESH START:perplexed. My hair aint been right since.:nono: I feel like I cut on the wrong moon and wrong hormones...arghhhhhhh

After my divorce, I got Sisterlocks. It really had more to do with me coming to grips with myslef and learning to love ME. It just so happens that the ex-husband was part of my self-hatred bad habits and the timing correlated.

My hair change for me marked a total change in my personality and overall outlook on life. I have NEVER regretted it.

I did. I cut my relaxed just above bsl hair to a fade after a bad breakup. No transition.

It was time to make some changes in my life.

I have as well. I decided to begin officially transition november 09 after an official break-up. Although I haven't cut my relaxed ends off yet, I still feel like I made a fresh decision.

I didn't cut my hair but I got a nipple ring. lol. But I totally understand the need for a change of just something, anything really, to distract you from the pain of the situation.

No, I haven't done anything drastic after a break up. If I decide to chop my hair one day, it will be because I want it short for a long time, not because of a break up. A spa day or a short vacation would be more refreshing and renewing for me.

Sure did. I got a Brazillian after my divorce.
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Love it!

When I knew my marriage was over, I shaved my head for a second time. It's not something I regret now, but it was definitely impulsive, I hadn't planned it. I figured, it was a fresh start, and ALSO I didn't want to deal with men at the time, especially those caught up with superficial attributes such as hair (Not to say I wasn't FINE with a low cut:grin:. Just know for me, I got a different kind of attention the first time I shaved my head) .

Now, Big Poppa and I have been together, almost as long as I've been growing my hair out...Go figure....:perplexed

i went natural after a bad break up. i stopped getting perms. my hair dresser thought i was going through a phase until i walked in one day and told her to cut.
i needed a change, it signified a new me

I haven't done this over a breakup but just wanted to add that we as women do all kinds of things to our hair based on our emotions. A breakup, good or bad, brings up all sorts of emotions hence the need for certain women to do something "drastic" or "different".

I've seen women change the hair over death, moving to a new city, getting married, having a baby, etc...it's just the easiest way for us to express the way we feel sometimes.

Back