I'm thinking of making a "drastic" hair change...

Peachtree

I\'m thinking of making a \"drastic\" hair change...

...drastic for me cuz I've never, ever thought of doing this before...."Going Au Naturale". I've been relaxed since age 13, that's 18 yrs now & counting.

Well, honestly, i've been thinking about this ever since my last touch up on April 19th. I knew from that day forward that i was gonna put away my hooded dryer & air dry for the next 5 mths. I wasn't sure of what to expect from airdrying, but i'm sooo happy that i made that decision. Airdrying has been THE BEST METHOD ever!!!
cool.gif
. In fact, I'm able to manage my hair, ESPECIALLY MY 3" OF NEW GROWTH so incredibly better now without heat than i did while using heat. I never, never, ever, ever thought that would be possible.
trampoline.gif

I'm not gonna say that i'm "transitioning" just yet, only cuz there's still some things that i need to sort through. I'm reading a ton of old posts about "transitioning", I've lurked around on "naturallycurly.com's transitioner's section" & a couple of other boards and i'm experimenting with products that works best for me. I think that once I get about 5" of new growth, then i'll decide whether to touch up again or transition. That way i'll have a pretty good idea of which products work best on my natural hair, and more importantly, a small sense of how to manage my natural hair.....

Another thing, the longest amt of new growth i've had was about 5". I didn't have a difficult time managing it & surprisingly enough, that was prior to having a regime. Now that I understand how to care for my hair, I feel inspired to make this "natural" change. Pray for me y'all! I don't wanna end up looking like this
antlers.gif
due to a lack of experience
ohwell.gif
. I TRULY BELIEVE I CAN SUCCESSFULLY DO THIS!!!!
trampoline.gif
trampoline.gif

Just thought I'd share with my hair buds what's been going through my mind these last several months...

Transitioners, please share your experiences with me... let me know what I'm in for...

Thanks ladies,
Peachtree

Re: I\'m thinking of making a \"drastic\" hair change...

Check out Motowngirl.com. That girl share a lot of good info on transitioning and caring or natural hair. good luck.

Peachtree, what's your hair type? I'm a 4b, relaxed but also thinking of taking the "plunge" to natural, but too scared, I don't know how I'll manage it.

[ QUOTE ]
Peachtree, what's your hair type? I'm a 4b, relaxed but also thinking of taking the "plunge" to natural, but too scared, I don't know how I'll manage it.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the longest I thought I was 4a/b, but lately i've been paying close attn to my new growth pattern, trying to figure out my type... Some sections have crimpy waves, some sections have formed spirals, another section is just a mass of hair.... So, i'm not really sure, but i'm leaning toward 3 sumthin
confused.gif
confused.gif
. I'll prolly post sum new growth pics in my July album if i ever get around to it...another thing, just wanted to add, if i do take the "plunge" as u call it, i'm sure to cut 2 maybe 3" at a time after growing 2-3". I'm not gonna take a drastic cut... I had a hard enough time trying to care for my "Halle" do yrs back, don't wanna re-live that experience!!!
nono.gif

Like u, I'm not sure how i will manage, but i'm overly curious to find out. If it becomes a headache to manage, then i'll just slap sum Optimum no lye on it & go on with my day
laugh.gif

Hi Peachtree
wave.gif

Best to you on your natural hair discovery journey!!

I played around with this idea for a long time myself and just recently decided that it's not for me. It seems more time consuming. So, I just wear natural hair styles. I guess I've worn my hair relaxed for so long it just seems easier to handle.

But...if I had to go natural because of extremely damaged hair or something, I'd do so without looking back.

Anyway, have fun collecting information and surfing those sites.

Thanks Nita

It's still in the pre-pre-pre planning stage
laugh.gif
. We'll see what the future holds
smile.gif

I say DO IT!
clap.gif
poke.gif
I loooooooove my natural hair. I used to have pretty short relaxed hair and I just kept cutting more and more til it was all gone. My hair is much healthier this way.
Maybe you want to check out www.nappturality.com and see what's going on over there. There are lots of ladies who have transitioned to natural hair there. Naturallycurly.com seems to have more ladies who have always had curly hair, or who don't have experience dealing with Black hair.
Good luck!

Good luck Peachtree. Please keep us posted.

Peachtree!

I'm so glad to hear that someone else is considering transitioning!
dance7.gif

I am sure that if you have gotten by easily on 3 inches of new growth and already have a routine, then it shouldn't be too much of a struggle to make the final decision. I wish I knew then when I know now!

Good luck and I think this is a good really good place for a transitioner. I think half of your battle is already over.

Peachtree I kno that even if u do decide to go natural, you will still have one of the most gorgeous heads of hair around
Flahssssss.gif
. Good luck!

[ QUOTE ]
Peachtree I kno that even if u do decide to go natural, you will still have one of the most gorgeous heads of hair around
Flahssssss.gif
. Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree!

hey peachtree! we'll support whatever decision you make for your hair. definitely keep us posted!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I say DO IT!
clap.gif
poke.gif
I loooooooove my natural hair. I used to have pretty short relaxed hair and I just kept cutting more and more til it was all gone. My hair is much healthier this way.
Maybe you want to check out www.nappturality.com and see what's going on over there. There are lots of ladies who have transitioned to natural hair there. Naturallycurly.com seems to have more ladies who have always had curly hair, or who don't have experience dealing with Black hair.
Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for ur encouragement sweetie
Rose.gif

Yeah, that's the name of that site "nappturality.com"... i said naturallycurly.com, although I visited there too. On nappturality, i read a lot of threads under "transitioners"... they were very, very inspirational.

I still want to achieve my waist length "relaxed" goal, which i'm not to far from. But this "natural" kick that i'm on is really drawing me in
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Peachtree!

I'm so glad to hear that someone else is considering transitioning!
dance7.gif

I am sure that if you have gotten by easily on 3 inches of new growth and already have a routine, then it shouldn't be too much of a struggle to make the final decision. I wish I knew then when I know now!

Good luck and I think this is a good really good place for a transitioner. I think half of your battle is already over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Hairlove
cool.gif
. Your hair is really long & pretty
smile.gif

R U transitioning by cutting a lil bit at a time? If i decide, this will be my method...

[ QUOTE ]
Flahssssss.gif
. Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Awww shucks, thanks Mocha
kiss.gif
. Ur a sweetie
smile.gif

Allandra, Brownie, Adrienne,

Thanks for your luv & support. I'll definitely keep everyone posted
wink.gif

well, peachtree, the thing is, if your hair is a type 3-ish, the line of demarcation between the straightened hair and the natural hair wont be as hard to manage like 4a/b hair in terms of breakage and what not, so you could probably get six inches of hair before deciding. A caveat though, your hair's texture may be stretched with the length and weight of your tresses, so you may not necessary 'know' your texture until its cut, you know what i mean?

i guess you already do the right things,like Conditioner Washes, deep treatments and whatnot. I have read of people who have transitioned for the year and not necessarily 'trimming'. Although i have my reservations about this (its like having your cake and eating it at the same time)method it can work.

well, whatever you do, good luck!

yours

canuck

For me it was like I'll try it(I also wanted to take a break) and if I don't like it I can always relax again. Simple as that...at least it was for me.

well peachtree, good luck on whatever u decided to do in the end coz even if u decided natural wasnt for u then u'd always be able to grow it out and relax agen
grin.gif
wen i was on the pre-pre-pre plananin stage u're on i think what helped me the most was readin bout how other ppl had done it and lookin at pics really helped.

Lik sithembile i was VERY afraid bout how i'd deal with it coz i hadnt never seen no1 with my type hair havin success with dealin with the two textures but they really helped. Thembi have a look at these websites and good luck on whatever u decide in the end

http://motowngrl.8m.net/links.html#resources

I say get to your hair length goal first. You can do that with your newgrowth, that way you'll never regret the fact that you cut before your goal.

But I would definately go natural. I transitioned for 4 months before I cut my hair. It was difficult at first and I had a lot of learning to do in regards to having my hair look (what I thought was) decent. Now I'm going into my second year without a relaxer and I don't miss it. I can get my hair just as straight without a relaxer and my hair retains much more moisture that a relaxer took away.

The most important thing is to be nonchalant about going natural. If you make a big deal out of it, you will go back to relaxing. I just went into going relaxer free saying "I'm not going to perm anymore", and that was it. I haven't touched a chemical since.

I accepted that my hair in it's natural state is not straight, and it will frizz, but with some products and a ponytail holder my hair would look fine. Getting to that stage though took time, and there were times where I was frustrated but I got through those times.

I always regretted that a relaxer would get my hair so straight that a curl pattern was obliterated. Now when I get my hair wet it curls up into my nappy curls and I think they are cute.

I knew that my hair was going to be nappy, and if people had a problem with that oh well. Just be sure that you can deal with your naps. I figured what ever my hair was going to be I had to accept it whether it be 4b or a 3b. Check out boards for help. I was at naturallycurly when I first started but I found that their site seemed to be aimed at 3b/c ethnic hair. It's not the best place to be if you are a 4.

Nappturality is good, but beware of posters who always ask about silkening or trying to do something with their hair that they can't. I think that portrays a message that their hair isn't good and needs to be fixed. It could send a tranisitioner straight back to relaxing.

I'm not knocking relaxing hair, but if that's not your goal you have to be careful. It's easy to relapse the first few months of going natural if you're not sure about your decision.

Whatever you decide to do good luck!

Good Luck Peachtree... regardless of what you decide, i know you will look great - and so will your hair
smile.gif
. AND you'll be posting "how to's" for the other au naturale sistas.

HI, Peachtree!
A resouce that really helped me out was the book "Good Hair" by Lonnice Brittenum Bonner. Her hair is a little below shoulder-length and is beautiful. She not only talks about how to take care of natural hair but also includes some different styles in there. The good part is that this book is only about $12.00! I was one of the ones that made a big deal out of going natural...it took me 2 years to be brave enough to do it! After a friend came back with her teeny-weeny afro, I decided to just do it. I cut mine off to about 1/2 and inch. I did it because I knew that my hair know-how was lacking and I wanted to get acclimated to the hair texture that God gave me.

Some people worry that natural hair won't "look right on them" or "is for people with a (smaller/larger/longer/shorter) head" . My personal belief is that God created us a certain way and I wanted to be able to accept that. Whether my hair would be coiled up like a pen spring, kinky and straight like my grandmothers' hair, or loosely curled. For the record, I am not against relaxers and will not say that I would never get a relaxer again! I don't think I will because I have trouble keeping my hands out of my hair..I'm always sticking my hand in my hair or pulling on a coil. I would miss my wildly kinky/coily hair! This whole process has been very spiritual one for me and has helped me with accepting who God made me to be...accepting my limitations and excellence. My lifestyle has changed since my hair has. I exercise more, eat healthier and am studying holistic approaches to health. This doesn't only happen to the natural heads but that was my journey. God bless you in whatever you choose to do! Happy growing!

Good luck peachtree. I agree too, that you have to be somewhat nonchalant about it. I caught alot of stuff from the family when I did, because my hair isn't a type 2 or 3 and I heard all sorts of comments, but I did what worked for me, and loved myself, and now everyone seems to be catching on. I found a lot of info at nappturality too, but in terms of developing healthy habits, the ones you have are alot like what I do with my own hair. The less is more approach, hot 6 oil is one of my favs, and I am sure to do protective styles. Keep us posted.

Tracy

Going natural was one of the best decisions that I have ever made. It takes a little work to relearn how to deal with your natural hair, but it is worth the effort.

Good Luck girl!

Wow! If you decide to transition I'm sure we all will be paying close attention. I hear what your saying though. I thought about it for a minute too. When I was pregnant I had to find a way to deal with the new growth and found that I loved my natural hair. In fact it was more easy to deal with than the relaxed part...go figure
huh.gif
I liked the smooth and sleek when I would do the condition washes. Made the newgrowth really soft. Aphogee stinky treatments made all the difference in the world. No breakage!! I even contemplated using WGO too to this regimen but broke down and touched it up anyway.

Would you consider just cutting a little at a time as you grow out? That would make the shock of the big chop less obvious
smile.gif

I've gone from relaxed to natural a few times. I didn't have any support the first two times. But with the help of hair boards I have learned to listen to my hair. It's been 18 mos and no relaxer. I am loving it. Remember whatever you do be comfortable with it.

Auntybe

Peachtree,

I transitioned. I have been natural a year now. When I started my hair was past my shoulder but did not reach my bra strap. My hair is more like 5b than 4b. I was really not sure about my decision to go natural so I transitioned so that if I changed my mind I would not lose my length.

I NEVER combed the two textures when dry. To avoid breakage I wore straw sets and braid outs. That way I did not have to use a comb once dry. I wore it down and when it got older and frizzy I put it up in a loose bun. The style lasted about a week to two weeks. I would wash and deep condition/hot oil treat it and put back into a straw set or braid out. I had little to no breakage. At about month # 8 because my hair is so thick, it over powered the permed hair so I had no choice but to cut it, I had about 2 to 3 inches of new growth. By the time I cut it, I was ready mentally, spiritually, and physically. I done a tone of research and felt confident about cutting off my perm. I actually was so glad I did because I loved my hair when the perm was finally gone and I did not have to deal with two textues anymore.

Wearing braid extentions are also ideal way of transitioning. Many of the tips used here for growing hair long are also things that can be done for natural hair. Like air drying and no heat. Castor oil, jojoba oil, and coconut oil, hot oil treatments. Daily rinses with distilled h20 and also the no poo method for washing hair.

Good luck with your journey what ever you decide.

Back