Dr. Oz says stop damaging your hair

White man or not, I think medical doctors get a pass on talking about topics of health. Black women and our specific needs are usually the last topics on doctors' minds, so I appreciate that he was at least thinking about us.

I like Dr. Oz, I love it when he shows those nasty clogged arteries. I better stay away from those damn steaks!

This segment was not targeting black women but common hair care methods that cause damage. Why are people so agitated? :ohwell:

My doctors don't offer me unhealthy alternatives and I would not expect them to do so. My doc says eliminate sugar during every annual and not because their is a health problem. He does not say eat a substitute, a little less sugar, or give me ways to make sugar healthier. My derm's recommendation was straight, no chaser - no relaxer, no hot comb. I know a few other derm's make this suggestion to their clients. (Stop relaxing, don't clog your follicles, warned of hot comb alopecia, etc.)

Are people agitated citing that he was targeting black women? I'm not seeing that. I was agitated that his examples were a bit exaggerated and could be seriously misleading, regardless of the ethnicity of the females participating in the examples.

I;m sure he would have brought that topic up if the majority of white women permed there hair, but he did bring up the coloring issue which most white women do.

I dont see why folks are getting so upset about a white man talking about our bad hair practices, its not that serious.
Im not upset. I think that all because you have a relaxer doesnt mean you hair will be damaged.

Welcome to the board op! Interesting discussion I haven't watched the video I don't know if I will I find it kind of odd that a doctor is talking about hair

Hmmm, that was really dramatic. But if he used the normal concentration of lye that is in real relaxers they would have been sitting there for a minute before that paintbrush melted. I agree though, relaxers and flat irons do change the integrity of your hair. However, there are obviously ways to minimize that damage and have thriving and gorgeous hair that does what we want it to. Or else this would be a bald-headed ladies support group.

Are people agitated citing that he was targeting black women? I'm not seeing that. I was agitated that his examples were a bit exaggerated and could be seriously misleading, regardless of the ethnicity of the females participating in the examples.

@ bold, I read some of the post that way.

As a person who relaxed in the past and intends to use flat irons in the future, I understand his examples were necessary to prove a point in the shortest amount of time. A reasonable person can estimate that over time the kind of damage he demonstrated may occur. As such, one should take the steps necessary to limit the complications of each of these practices. Especially, if they do not intend to quit cold turkey. For the people who are not hair savvy, perhaps they will seek information on healthy hair practices after watching the segment. The examples were not that far fetched to me because I see the damage daily.

Am I a Dr. Oz stan, maybe. :lachen::lachen:

Disclaimer: My relaxed hair was very healthy.

Back