Dont stone me... but I have a logical question...

With regard to Revelation 22:18-19 the warning and "curse" described herein apply to the words of prophecy in the book of Revelation only, not to the entire bible. It is easy to see how ppl construe it to cover the entire bible. IMO, whether a person believes it alplies to Revelations only or the bible as a whole, it is a good warning to heed.

Revelation 22:18-19
18For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of
this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: 19And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

PanamasOwn-

Interesting question...........

I actually know of a case in which the bible has been altered recently. There is a televangelist named Pastor Gino Jennings (from Philadelphia, PA) who has added some "lost" books to the Bible. My Father enjoys watching his telecast. I read to him Rev 22:18-19:
Revelation 22:18-19 (New International Version)

18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book. 19 And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

So my Dad says well they are "lost" books. I think the only one who will know who is right is GOD.

I think this is a question that only GOD knows. So make sure you can ask HIM when you see HIM. :grin:

The Bible is all I have to go on. So I do believe it. That doesn't mean that I don't have questions or wonder about scripture. For example, I wonder about the Rapture. It's not that I don't think it's possible but I do wonder with my small mind (compared to GOD's) how in the world is it going to happen. I think about the details.

In regards to the Bible, I will say this...........sometimes people limit GOD to only what's in the Bible. But HE is SO much more. HE performs miracles everyday (I know this personally) and he talks to us (just to name only a few things that he does).

HE is EVERYTHING and can do whatever HE wants WHEN HE wants.

I do not think that is disbelief. Paul states that it is his opinion. In one instance, he even states that it is not a divine revelation. So someone giving their opinion does not take away from the over all belief that the bible is the word of God.

Ok, maybe its just me, but I fail to see how Paul giving godly wisdom reduces the Bible as not being the entire Word of God. Case in point, Moses' father-in-law Jethro in Exodus 18 gave Moses godly advice by telling him to judge only the difficult matters, and to appoint godly men to judge the smaller matters. Every word in the Bible is not Spoken by God. You have history given, separate conversations, etc. But All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works (2 Ti 3:16-17).

Ok, maybe its just me, but I fail to see how Paul giving godly wisdom reduces the Bible as not being the entire Word of God. Case in point, Moses' father-in-law Jethro in Exodus 18 gave Moses godly advice by telling him to judge only the difficult matters, and to appoint godly men to judge the smaller matters. Every word in the Bible is not Spoken by God. You have history given, separate conversations, etc. But All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works (2 Ti 3:16-17).

No, it's not just you. Your post summed up what I was about to say.

this is why i trust god that everything that the compilers/translators of the bible included/excluded is/isn't god's word in the sense that the bible holds everything we as believers need. i rely on paul's godly wisdom as derived from god, however, i do distinguish between his opinion (rooted in godly wisdom) vs. god's words.

one reason for this is in a previous post (it may not be in this thread but i'll find it and edit later) where someone referred to women submitting to their husbands. also, if we go by the letter of his opinion, then we get word from the pulpit being taught that women should keep silent in the church taken to the level of women are not supposed to teach the word of god in any capacity. and, there are some denominations that believe that and practice that.

• i have a co-worker that is apostolic and she is taught and believes that women are not to wear makeup of any kind (incl nail polish- clear too), no pants or manly type clothing, and women do not preach/teach god's word - not even in their own homes and esp not to their sons. she has chosen jobs based on what the dress code is. she did not join the military b/c the uniform is pants for women which is against what her church teaches. (note i said her church not all apostolic churches)
  • there is a pastor online (youtube and his own site) that is soooooo letter-of-the-bible that he teaches all of the above and that women can't even quote scripture out of their mouths or type scripture onto his site's message board b/c this constitutes a woman teaching. and women members of his church are not allowed to read or teach scripture to male children either. (i'm not making this up)

those are extreme examples but each person has their own beliefs based on the bible, b/c they believe every word in the bible is god's word including a writer's godly wisdom based opinion.

point:
paul also talks about women's hair styles. am i supposed to take it as god's direct or inspired word that i can't braid my hair? if so, i need to change my avi and take the cornrows out. i need to get rid of all adornments i use in my hair that may be considered excessive. i'm not being sarcastic, i'm pointing something out. IMO i don't think god cares what our hair looks like, in general. but if we as christians want to win people to christ, i deduce from paul that we should conform to the standards in our respective society that shows who we are. we are taught to be distinctively different and called peculiar. chritsians can be "goth" but how many ppl in america will take them seriously as christians at first?

paul said women keep silent in church - that was the custom of the day. but then there are female profits in the bible. so who is right? can women preach/teach or not? (i'm not really asking just saying)

i do not get bent out of shape about some things, i rest on:

• god's love for mankind
  • his grace in giving us repeated chances to repent & accept christ
  • jesus's death was PAYMENT IN FULL for all of our sins
  • jesus is alive & is resurrected & is lord
  • that we are supposed to love others as ourselves upon which all the commandments hang

some of the other stuff is debatable.

Hey sis! I think your first step should be to pick up a book called "Hermaneutics" By Henry A. Virkler. It teaches you HOW to actually study the Bible. Kay Arthur has some great books as well. But as a crib sheet version lol, when reading a Scripture, you have to take into account the audience, the culture, the time period, the author, and the context of time. For example, when Paul speaks of women speaking in the church and teaching, you ave to loook at the context. Most women were illeterate at the time and were teacing just based on their own understanding of what they heard. The women were disrupting the service and talking during church (why do women STILL do this) and people were not receiving the Word because of this, hence Paul telling them to "shut up in chuch!:lol: Also, the culture at that time was one of rebellion and gender switching (Paul speaking on hair for example had nothing to do with God's ideal of hairstyle, but rather that at the time the temple prostitutes shaved their heads as a form of worship for their God.). When you actually study the historical context of the Bible it fits well. We for instance would look at the way women are treated as God oppressing women, when it wasn't. God loves women so much he allowed His SON to come out of one!:grin:

The real problem is people don't read their Bible's. They listen to some preacher with his presupositions and agenda, and take it as Gospel, then they get mad at God and say the Bible is mixed up. It's not sister, and when you actually look at History during the Biblical time period it gives further evidence of the Bible's accuracy. Check out Lee Strobel's "The Case For Faith" and anything else he writes because he dives deep into this. Also check out "The Case For The Real Jesus" as he speaks on the so called "lost books" as well.

HTH!

Back