Don't sleep on white stylists (long)

webby

Think Slim
As many of you know, I go to a white stylist to get my ends dusted. I always go when my hair is freshly blown, because I have never found a white stylist OR black stylist who can comb my hair when it's wet without complaining about the thickness or ripping me bald.

I washed my hair this evening, but just did NOT feeling rolling it or sitting under the dryer all night, only to get up in the morning to rush out to the stylist for a dusting. SO, I did the unthinkable...I went with wet hair (was praying from the time I left my house :lol:)

So...the girl who normally dusts my hair is out and I'm not about to leave now.
She gave me my halle berry cut about two years ago and said, "Are you SURE you want it that short?" That was a first, because most stylists are scissor happy, not this chick. However, she usually has a really nasty attitude, so I never went back to her.

Ok...back to the trim. I went with my own personal arsenal: Extra-large bone comb; large-rattail bone comb and a small rattail comb. I warned her that my hair is very dense and quite difficult to comb, so I brought my own tools.

She was ok with that, but examined my hair and asked if I would mind her trying a smaller comb, because she intended to section my hair and would comb it as she went along....I was hesitant, but let her start.

WELL...much to my surprise, not ONLY did girlfriend get the comb through my hair, but she didn't pull, she didn't rip OR snatch any of my hair...so far, so good.

She trimmed the first section and then this is where it gets really good.

June: Do you use protein in your hair?
me: :look: Yes....um...how do you know?
June: What do you use; which products?
me: KerapHix, Emergencee, Penetraitt
June: hmmmm....your hair is snapping. You're using too much protein.
me: (somebody needs to pass the smelling salts. I feel faint :shocked:) ur...ok...what do I do?

This woman grilled me about every little step in my regimine and told me that I need to eliminate my protein use and step up the moisture. She asked if I used Humectress (y'all know I'm a humectress junky...so at least I had THAT in my favor :up: )

She gave me the rundown and recommended products for my hair:

Regis Design Line: Olive Oil Treatment, which contains shampoo, conditioner and a hair masque (she said is a protein, but ultra light) $19.99 for the trio

Matrix Biolage Fortifying Shampoo - 33.8 oz $18.95
Matrix Fortifying Conditioner - 16 oz $20.95
Matrix Fortifying Leave-in Treatment (spray) 8 oz $12.95

She gave me 20% off everything, including the trim and told me to come back in about 4 weeks. She'd check to see if the products were working, if not...I can return them for a full refund.

I figured this was worth posting, because I have been going to the same dominican stylist for about 3 years and she NEVER mentioned snapping and always encouraged using Emergencee and it took a white stylist to give me this info. Perhaps THAT's what's been going wrong with my hairline :angry2:

So...webby's regimen has officially changed. I'll keep you all posted, if you're interested.

Wow, interesting story. Can you tell me more about the Olive Oil treatment line? What kind of sulfates does the shampoo have in them?

Hi Webby! :wave:

Please keep us posted on the results of your new products. The PJ in me is always scoping out for new products.

Lanelle said:
Wow, interesting story. Can you tell me more about the Olive Oil treatment line? What kind of sulfates does the shampoo have in them?
Hey Lanelle, the third ingredient is Sodium Laureth Sulfate. Is this bad?

@ Isis :wave: I wasn't planning on buying any new products, but I'm GLAD that this woman told me that I needed to cut back on the protein. I'm going to try a new stylist for my relaxer.

Gurl...you know I wanna be updated.....especially with these products she recommended if you decide to get.

Now the whole protein thing...my hair needs it...but I can't go buck with it...

I have to use diluted MNT...and Aubrey GPB works for me now...that I diluted it...but to completely stop a lot of breakage...light protein doesn't do anything...
I have to break out....the hated...Aphoghee (which I'm gonna do tomorrow mixed with Elasta BCS).

MonaLisa said:
Gurl...you know I wanna be updated.....especially with these products she recommended if you decide to get.
IF?! Girl, I bought every, single thing she recommended :sekret:

I asked if my hair was snapping due to needing a touchup (I have lost count to how many weeks it's been since my last touch up), but she assured me that it was due to over use of protein.

webby said:
IF?! Girl, I bought every, single thing she recommended :sekret:

I asked if my hair was snapping due to needing a touchup (I have lost count to how many weeks it's been since my last touch up), but she assured me that it was due to over use of protein.

Oh Snaps! :lol:

Okay...in that case....I'll definitely be looking for reviews...if there's any competition or new roommates for my beloved products...:look:

I think I'm definitely gonna be cutting back on the protein usage after my heavy duty treatment tomorrow. It's gonna be a moisture filled summer 2005.

sbaker said:
There is a white stylist in my area that has only black clients. She makes a killing too.
Does she do relaxers? I'm not too far from you...I'm really in the market for a new stylist. I just want to get a fresh perspective.

webby said:

Hi, I found some threads for you {yes I dug into the "archives}. I tend to use shampoos with mild sulfates {sodium myreth sulfate for example] for regular washing of the hair or those with no sulfates at all [like the J/A/S/O/N line-supposedly contains no sulfates]. For clarifying, I use a clarifying shampoo with harsher agents to "strip" the hair so to speak. Here are the links to the threads:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=8750&highlight=sulfates

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=42298&highlight=alcohol

Lanelle said:
Hi, I found some threads for you {yes I dug into the "archives}. I tend to use shampoos with mild sulfates {sodium myreth sulfate for example] for regular washing of the hair or those with no sulfates at all [like the J/A/S/O/N line-supposedly contains no sulfates]. For clarifying, I use a clarifying shampoo with harsher agents to "strip" the hair so to speak. Here are the links to the threads:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=8750&highlight=sulfates

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=42298&highlight=alcohol
Wow...thank you so much :kiss:
That was so nice of you. I better get to reading, before I use this new shampoo :up:

webby said:
Wow...thank you so much :kiss:
That was so nice of you. I better get to reading, before I use this new shampoo :up:

No problem at all! :) I like searching some of the old "archives" every now and then...there are alot of informative threads in there.

I'm glad i read this post, my hair has been snapping a bit too much too... i do think it's too much of the Aphogee 2 min Reconstructor. Did that twice a week for a while, now i'm shedding/breaking a tad more than I'd like. I'm starting to not like my ORS olive oil either, i used it to moisturize everyday this week and my hair falls limp, no life. I can't wait to clarify tomorrow and remove the buildup.

I'm searching for a new, good moisturizer. I should pick up NTM huh? and even S-Curl, have been meaning to do that, but I didn't want to become a PJ :lol:

CarLiTa said:
I'm glad i read this post, my hair has been snapping a bit too much too... i do think it's too much of the Aphogee 2 min Reconstructor. Did that twice a week for a while, now i'm shedding/breaking a tad more than I'd like. I'm starting to not like my ORS olive oil either, i used it to moisturize everyday this week and my hair falls limp, no life. I can't wait to clarify tomorrow and remove the buildup.

I'm searching for a new, good moisturizer. I should pick up NTM huh? and even S-Curl, have been meaning to do that, but I didn't want to become a PJ :lol:
Yep...I think that twice a week is a bit much. CaramelHonee recommended Humecto as a moisturizer, that stuff is heavenly :love:

Uh oh, Webby don't be so quick to change your routine. Your hair looks bangin' so you must be doing something right. Sounds to me like this chick was trying to sell you products.

caligirl said:
Uh oh, Webby don't be so quick to change your routine. Your hair looks bangin' so you must be doing something right. Sounds to me like this chick was trying to sell you products.
Cali, that definitely ran through my head, but here's the thing...I only go to them for a dusting. They don't do relaxers at all, so there's no way this woman would know what types of products I use. She just flat out asked me if I used protein and that floored me, because it definitely indicated that she knew more about hair than just cutting and blow drying, ya know?

Also, I have been trying feverishly to get my hairline to return to its normal thick state....just not happening. So, I figured SOMETHING has been wrong for a while.

Now, don't think that I plan on just shooting my other stylist in the foot, but I've had my questions about chick for a minute now. I HAVE to bring in my colourshines, because she'll act like she put in the color I requested; she puts it in the bowl, so I never see the bottle and when I ask to see the bottle, she conveniently gets distracted :ohwell: AND I noticed the last couple of times that I've gotten my hair relaxed, she'll put the product in a bowl. There's that comfort that she has with me know, but I don't trust her...she could have ANYTHING in that bowl.

So, I'm going to try a new dominican stylist, probably my mom's girl...and see if these new products make a difference in my hair. If they don't, I'll return the products and go back to my old steps, but I really suspect that something may have been off just a wee bit.

Oh...and she actually wasn't even trying to sell me anything, just recommended that I quit using protein. I asked HER if she could recommend a product. We'll see...keep updating this thread :)

Last edited:
That is a great post, webby! I'm happy you had a great experience! I have a white stylist too, who have given me several tips on my hair. It feels great when your stylist is in sync with you and your hair!

webby said:
Does she do relaxers? I'm not too far from you...I'm really in the market for a new stylist. I just want to get a fresh perspective.

Yes, she and even wetsets. I can look up the information for you. I never went to her but my aunt does.

webby said:

@ Isis :wave: I wasn't planning on buying any new products, but I'm GLAD that this woman told me that I needed to cut back on the protein. I'm going to try a new stylist for my relaxer.
Another line is the Aubrey organicswhich I love btw it has no SLS (sodium lauryl sulfates) or you could try castille shampoo also natural. Jason some of the products are only 70- 80% natural.

I go to an Arab guy to get my color done. Prior to that I went to white stylist for color. The problem with many black stylist is they know how to color....But don't stay current with their color training. Black stylist usally focus on relaxers, cuts and weaves.

The dude I go to now is the bomb! I have highs and lows and get compliments daily. Disclaimer....My hair is natural...So this color method is not IMO good for relaxed hair.

Last edited:
I have been going to a white stylist since I was 14 years old, and when I was lvivng at home he administered my relaxers too. When my hair grows out it retains it's shape. You're right Webby...don't sleep on them...they know what they're doing! ;)

Back