Dominican salons--maybe not for everyone? (Kind of long)

Crystalicequeen123

Lately I've jumped onto the domincan salon challenge along with some of you ladies here on the board. I was sooo excited when I first started out. I thought to myself: "finally! a salon where I don't have to wait an hour before I'm seated, and the roller sets are AWESOME!"

Since then, I've gone to the dominican salon 4 times. My regimen was washing my hair every other weekend (with an occasional CO wash during the week sometimes) and then going to the Dominican salon every other weekend (on the weeks I don't wash my own hair) for a wash, condition, and roller set. However, before AND after my last touchup, I noticed that my hair is looking and feeling REALLY thin. ESpecially on the ends of my hair. Also, my first blowout burned my scalp along my edges, so my hair along my hairline is still recovering. YEt, I still went to the Dominican salon for 3 more visists sans a blowout.

Yet, after each visit, I started noticing that my hair is still feeling quite thin! I'm starting to think that maybe Dominican salons are not for everyone. Does anyone else think this?

I mean, I hate to have such a pessimistic view and lump ALL dom. salons in the same category especially since everyone talks so favorably about dominican salons on this board. But I have to do what's healthy for MY hair. ANd maybe the dom. salons in MY area are not as good as elsewhere. All I know is that right now, I've just been noticing that my hair is getting thinner at the ends. I get the feeling that the dominicans (although very nice) don't really know how to be gentle with my type of hair. I have type 4b fine hair that tangles easily, yet they YANK a fine toothed comb through my hair every time I get a roller set! I feel bad for telling them not to stop since I'm afraid that they will get offended and start talking behind my back in spanish! LOL* Plus, they may be used to straighter spanish hair that hasn't been relaxed. I don't know. My hair (I feel) is VERY fragile. I have to baby it because it is so fine, and it's not THICK. I don't know, I guess I just feel like a "black" salon, or stylist would understand what I mean about NOT putting a fine tooth comb through my hair. I wouldn't blink an eye lash telling a black stylist NOT to scrub my hair with fingernails, and not to put a tiny toothed comb through my hair. But if I'm hesitant to even speak up for myself @ these Dom. Salons, then maybe it's best that I don't even go. :-/

I think I will just eventually end up doing my own hair until I get my touch up every 3 months. I noticed that when I was doing my OWN hair, and NOT going to the salon (ANY salon) every week/2 weeks, my hair was THRIVING! My hair was growing, and it felt thicker. Especially my ends. I know because I have pictures that have documented my growth. But now..my hair is just so-so. Plus, the language barrier (although not a problem in itself) at the dom. salons could pose somewhat of a problem sometimes. THere is this wash girl at one of the salons in my area, and she likes to wash and scrub my scalp with her FINGERNAILS!! (ouch!!) This last time I went to the salon, I told her "gently". SHe didn't understand me at first, so I had to tell her again. But you better believe that had she been a black stylist, I would have told her straight up.

I'm just wondering if maybe the dom. salons around my area don't really know how to tenderly take care of my type 4a/b baby fine relaxed hair. I do see other black women in the salon, and their hair looks nice. But I don't know...

What do you guys think??

SOrry this post was so long...but I really want your input on this.

You're right. It's not for everyone.

From the beginning, visits to Dominican salons was a challenge that some members committed to and others did not. Not everyone decided to make this commitment because, like yourself (myself included) some members did not believe that making weekly visits to Dominican salons or any salons for that matter would help in achieving their personal hair goals.

I say stick with what you know best and do your own hair. Even though it would take more time, commitment and energy on your part, you know your hair better than any stylist out there and doing your own hair would result in it being more healthier, manageabler, stronger, and in this case thicker than what your stylists were able to achieve. Save your money girl, and start doing your own hair! :yep:

All the best and keep us updated on your hair's progress :kiss:

I agree with what you said aboutmaybe the salons in your area wasn't as good as other salons ladies here have gone to. Just because there have been raves about the results of dominican stylists on this forum doesn't mean all dominican stylists are experts at styling black hair. Also, did you let her know that a fine tooth comb would cause stress to your textured hair? And when she burned your scalp, did you let her know that it was too hot? Make sure you speak up and let them know initially off bat about your hair so they don't ruin it, even if you think they know what they are doing. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the dominican salon. best wishes to u & your hair!

You are absolutely right. I used to go the Dominican Salons in NYC for several years and had fine, almost see through hair to show for it. I stopped going to them in October of last year and got on to the hairboards and I have almost 3 inches of growth to show for it. My hair is past my shoulders and much thicker. However, I still see the breakage that I experiences because of those fine toothed combs that they use and those cheap, hot, hot, hot dryers that they use.

I have the same time of hair that you have, except my hair is fine fragile 4a/b. If you looked carefully at the posts on the Dominican challenge, not everyone is doing it. Some people might be using the Dominican products themselves and not going to those salons. I know that I am doing this because some of their products are good and, for the most part, they are cheap. Also, as has been said many times on this board, no one can love your hair like you can.

It is my personal opinion that people with fragile type 4 hair like mine might not benefit from those salons. If you have thick hair, strong hair, coarse hair, then you might be alright. After all, most of the women who work at salons are DOMINICANS. Most of the onexs who look black are mixed, either with Indian or Hispanic, blood. I am not mixed, so I know that what they do to other Dominicans will most likely not work on my hair. Again, this is my personal opinion, I respect that others might choose to go to them, to each their own.

I think you need to tell them to put that fine toothed comb away! Don't be afraid to speak up about that--I think that's probably the explanation for the thinning.

There are two dominican salons near me. I gave serious thought to going to one of them after seeing some of the posts about them. I would look to see what the clients hair look liked whenever I passed. Then my best friend started going to one so I started watching what her hair looked like when she came out. I'm not impressed with the way they take care of my friend's hair. She has issues with the relaxer they use in her hair so she had to start bringing her own relaxer. They trim her quite often. Most of all I can't stand the heat of those dryers. My friend got a scalp burn from those dryers.

I think I'll stick to doing my own hair.

If you go too often, I think it will thin your hair out. But, i dunno... i think it takes a while for some people's hair to get used to it. Okay i know this sounds crazy, but now my hair takes so well to a good blow out. I think I may even be able to go more often. What do u think?

You are correct Dom Salons are not for everyone.

I think we have the same hair. I am 4a/b and very very fine..like a baby. I just can't get the same result from doing my own hair that I do at a Dominican Salon.

I go to one near my home and I had to tell them not to scrub my hair with their nails while shampooing....what I did was tell them BEFORE they started not to scrub (doing the motion with my hands) just smooth "suave" and to wash only 1x. I walk them thru everything because they are rough. The Dom Salon I had been going to for years is in NY and I live in NJ so its just too hard to get there after work or on weekends weekly and don't have to walk them thru anything....they know and are very gentle with my hair (I get my relaxers there).

It sounds like doing your own hair works for you so you should continue with that....maybe you could find a black salon that uses the same technique (roller sets). I don't get my hair blowdried (doobie only) because I feel it is too thin for that type of heat and pulling.

There are plenty other challenges you can join :D

Crystalicequeen123 said:
I have type 4b fine hair that tangles easily, yet they YANK a fine toothed comb through my hair every time I get a roller set!
That's my problem, except the shampoo girl rips through it at the wash bowl to detangle it.

Crystalicequeen123 said:
I think I will just eventually end up doing my own hair until I get my touch up every 3 months. I noticed that when I was doing my OWN hair, and NOT going to the salon (ANY salon) every week/2 weeks, my hair was THRIVING!
There's the solution! I'd rather take my time at home. My hair detangles better when it's just damp, not sopping wet.

I have very fine 4b hair also. It grows in TIGHT coils.

I'm afraid of that hot blow dryer they use. It just doesn't sound healthy, even just doing the roots. You would have to have really strong hair to handle that. I've gone back to doing my own rollersets with my mesh rollers and just flat ironing my roots with a warm flat iron. However I would love to get my hands on some of their hair products!!

I agree it may not be for everyone. It's the same as hair products. everyone's hair responds differently. I have always loved my experience going to Dominican salons but then again my visits are very sporadic. I don't have a problem with the heat from the blowdryer but my friend cannot take it she actually almost cried one time. I think it's good that you reconize that your hair doesn't seem to doig well and are going to cut it out of your regimen. I also agree with the other posters speak up about things they do that you don't like and that goes for every salon not just the Dominicans. Anyway I think your making the right choice for the health of your hair. Happy hair growing.

Hey Crystal,

I'm sorry that it hasn't worked out for you:( , especially since I was the one who started the dominican challenge. I personally never let them blow dry all the way through my fine 4a/b hair, only the roots, and some times I don't even let them do that. I guess I'm blessed to have found the salon that I have. They are very gentle when rollersetting my hair. I check the comb after they are finished and there is very little hair in it. The only time they comb through my whole head is with conditioner in it, while water is running down the length of the hair with a VERY WIDE tooth shower comb. And before they comb through my conditioned hair to detangle they put in extra conditioner to add more slip.

When rollersetting my hair they are very very gentle. After I'm done drying they ask me if I want them to blow my roots or go directly into a wrap. Sometimes I choose to go into a wrap and sometimes I let them blow only the roots. When they blow my roots they DO NOT pull the brush through my hair AT ALL. They only use the brush to hold the hair while they briefly use the blow dryer to straighten my roots. You should not get burned during this process if it is done correctly. When they blow my roots it takes only a minute and a half (I've timed it), so my hair is not exposed to the heat for very long and they blow the roots in big sections. They are also VERY GENTLE while doing this as well.

I understand that this process might not work well for everyone. I actually had the same problem when going to a dominican salon a few years ago, my hair did thin out, but it was the way they were handling my hair there. At that salon they had mostly hispanic clients with curly, not coarse hair. At Amiris, where I go now, they have predominantly black clients or hispanic clients with textured hair. So I am having a great experience there because they do know how to handle our hair at that salon.

Once again I'm so sorry that this has not worked out for. You should definitely do whatever is best for you to take care of your hair. Please keep me posted on what you decide to do.

I think it's more that specific techniques don't work for everyone. In general I only go to salons for touch ups and special occaison do's because I can't take heat - blowdrying with domincans, flat ironing at AA salons. Even with just a wash and set, they aren't going to be as gentle as I would if I did it myself. My AA hairdresser is into healthy hair, but on a regular she doesn't have the kind of time that I devote to doing my own hair.

Crystalicequeen, I'm glad you found the culprit for your thinning ends. I know how heart-breaking it can be to take such excellent care of your hair only to have a set-back due to "professional" handling. I've never been to a Dominican salon, but I know you're not the first on here to have posted a negative experience, so you're not alone. Hopefully, you can find a stylist who knows how to gently care for your hair. BTW, there's no guarantee about AA stylists either b/c every single one I've been to out here whips out that baby-tooth comb to go through my hair (but an ex-stylist I saw use a wide-tooth comb on a white client with Type 2 hair....go figure). Some stylists, regardless of nationality, lack education (but that's a whole other thread). Good luck to you.

I have fine hair and I can only go to a Dominican salon every 10 weeks for a touch up. So, it's good you figured out what works for you, you can adjust your regimen accordingly.

Dominican salons can be a hit or miss type thing since there are so many of them. Techniques, product and tools used can vary from salon to salon. I've been to one salon and noted that each operator had a different way of handling wet hair. One girl was extremely rough while another was really gentle. I also noticed this when the girls would get doobies. They would yank those brushes thru and not properly comb out the curls before proceeding to the doobie.

Those blow dryers are probably like 5000 watts (if it's exists LOL) and overtime it can be damaging. When I used to go to a salon I always wanted one specific girl to rollerset my hair (this was before I found the boards and she was the most gentle). I could almost never get her because the place was ran basically like an assembly line.

I'm glad you found what the culprit was. Do what's best for your hair.

simplycee said:
There are two dominican salons near me. I gave serious thought to going to one of them after seeing some of the posts about them. I would look to see what the clients hair look liked whenever I passed. Then my best friend started going to one so I started watching what her hair looked like when she came out. I'm not impressed with the way they take care of my friend's hair. She has issues with the relaxer they use in her hair so she had to start bringing her own relaxer. They trim her quite often. Most of all I can't stand the heat of those dryers. My friend got a scalp burn from those dryers.

I think I'll stick to doing my own hair.
Once I stopped going to them and stop trimming my hair began to grow.

Honi said:
Dominican salons can be a hit or miss type thing since there are so many of them. Techniques, product and tools used can vary from salon to salon. I've been to one salon and noted that each operator had a different way of handling wet hair. One girl was extremely rough while another was really gentle. I also noticed this when the girls would get doobies. They would yank those brushes thru and not properly comb out the curls before proceeding to the doobie.

Those blow dryers are probably like 5000 watts (if it's exists LOL) and overtime it can be damaging. When I used to go to a salon I always wanted one specific girl to rollerset my hair (this was before I found the boards and she was the most gentle). I could almost never get her because the place was ran basically like an assembly line.

I'm glad you found what the culprit was. Do what's best for your hair.
I agree with this. People who worked at the salon used to talk in Spanish because I was never copacetic with the assembly line thing and would wait, even if they were about to close, for the one gentle shampoo lady and the one lady that I would let touch my hair. Interestingly enough, she was not Dominican she was Haitian. It was the first time that I had ever met a black woman working at one of those salons. She was good but I still stopped going there for a number of reasons after I found this board and my hair and my pocket book are thanking me for it. Even with all of the products that I have bought, I have still saved lots of money because I used to go every two weeks. Every two weeks to get my hair and pocketbook thinned out!

Thank heavens for LHCF, LOL! I am no longer completely stylist dependent.

Hey girls...

THanks for the advice. I think I'll take the advice that some of you have suggested and just do my OWN hair @ home. :-/ At least if my hair thins out I'll know it's because of something I have done and not anyone else. I am extra gentle with my hair since I know how my hair is. My type 4a/b hair is just too fragile. So, I think me doing my own hair at home is probably best.

I'm kind of torn though because I DO like the way my hair is swinging after I come from the dom. salons. My hair is easier to manage (especially when that 10 week post relaxer time comes around). But the problem is...I can't roller set worth CRAP! lol* So, I barely do it myself. Not only that,but I go to a church where the congregation is majority black, and every SUnday the girls around my age have thier hair in pristine condition fresh from the beauty salon. Here I come in with my little hair twists looking so juvenile, while other young women my age are wearing their hair down and out, or in cute little curls/styles, etc. I just feel so embarrassed. LOL*

I guess I just have to do what's best for MY hair though.
When I went to the Dom. salon the first time, I was smart (because of reading this board) so I only let them blow out my roots. WEll...you know how "roots" are for some of them. "Roots" may mean from the scalp to half way your hair length in some people's eyes. LOL* I was in such pain and discomfort that I wasn't really looking how far down the dryer was going, but I dont' think it went the whole length of my hair. I just remember my hair feeling SOOO thin afterwards! Silky, smooth, and moveable...yes. But so thin. I felt like all of my 10 week post relaxer efforts had all gone down the drain. :-*(

But I'm glad to see your inputs and it helps me to see that I'm not the only who feels that maybe dom. salons aren't for everybody. Or, at least not the ones in my area.

LIke some of you, I'm not "mixed" either...at least not with any hispanic in my blood that I know of. SO, my hair isn't the typical kind of hair one would call "mixed". So, maybe they just don't know how to do my type of hair.
But like someone else mentioned, I applaud those see GOOD results from going to Dom. Salons. I mean, do whatever is healthy for YOUR hair. Whether it's from Dominican salons, black salons, white salons, or just your own HOME salon. Ha-ha! :-D

I couldn't rollerset my own hair either. But I learned while in college because I didn't have that much money to constantly go to the salon every week and I had stopped just blowdrying my hair. It DEFINATELY takes practice and LOTS of patience. When I do rollerset myself I keep a spray bottle of water near by because it takes me so long that my hair starts to dry a bit. The key to getting a good rollerset is for the hair to be wet (not dripping) when you put it on the roller and rolling the roller so that it is taut and straightens the root.

Do a search..some ladies have documented with pics how to do a proper rollerset. I think Webby has, and someone else too.

Good luck!

RabiaElaine said:
Hey Crystal,

I'm sorry that it hasn't worked out for you:( , especially since I was the one who started the dominican challenge.

Oh you don't have to feel bad Rabia. Haha. It's not like anyone put a gun to my head and FORCED me to go to a dominican salon! Haha. Don't feel bad at all. I'm just glad that I have found this out NOW! Who knows what shape my hair would be in had I continued to go to these Dom. salons (I've tried 2 different ones already in my area) after 1 month, 4 months, 8 months...a YEAR! I mean, who knows? Maybe the culprit is NOT the dominican salons. But at least if I cut out one variable I can get to the ROOT problem of what is thinning out my hair. I can vouch for one thing however, my hair just feels thinner every time I go. :-/

I'd be a fool to continue doing the same thing (going to the dominican salons in my area) and expecting different results. That would be silly. lol*

So....I don't know. Maybe this won't be the LAST time I go to a dominican salon. But I am definitely going to take a huge break from going to ANY salon, at least for a while. I noticed when I was "poor" (yes, I'm a starving college student...LOL*) or "low on funds" shall I say...haha...I didn't go to any hair salon often (so I was mainly doing my own hair at home), my hair was thicker, and actually getting longer. So I'll probably stick to this routine for a few months at least until my hair has recovered from that HOTTER than HOT blow dryer they used on my hair. IT only takes one time to burn your scalp. I didn't have any scalp burns or anything, but the left side and right side of my hair line was as smooth as a baby's bottom (lol*) and I've been using biotin cream to sort of nurse it back to health.

Last edited:
Maybe? Definitely not for everyone! I went to a very highly recommended salon in my area and walked out before being served. I just needed 10 minutes to sit and watch the process in order to know that my babies could not handle all the pulling, tugging and blowdrying--especially not on a regular basis. I don't think your view is pessimistic, but realistic. Knowing your hair and its limits is one of the most valuable tools in achieving and retaining length in my opinion.

ubavka123 said:
Maybe? Definitely not for everyone! I went to a very highly recommended salon in my area and walked out before being served. I just needed 10 minutes to sit and watch the process in order to know that my babies could not handle all the pulling, tugging and blowdrying--especially not on a regular basis. I don't think your view is pessimistic, but realistic. Knowing your hair and its limits is one of the most valuable tools in achieving and retaining length in my opinion.

Thanks for your viewpoint. Yeah, maybe I should have taken a GOOD look too before even sitting in the chair to get served. I should have known better that my locks wouldn't be able to take all of that! LOL* Now, maybe if I had natural VIRGIN hair dominican salons and thier blowouts would be okay I suppose.

But I get the feeling that the dom. salons in my area (at least) don't really know how to care for RELAXED black hair. I mean, baby fine hair needs extra tender loving care in the first place. But ADD on to it that my hair is chemically RELAXED and that's almost a recipie for disaster!

Plus, (this is just my opinion...not wrong/right) I get the feeling that even though most dominican salons don't use hot combs and curling irons like african american salons (although a GOOD thing) are basically probably doing the same damage with HOTTER than hot blow dryers. Sure, the dryer isn't an iron, and it's not usually touching your hair, but when I go to the salons I see so much HEAT and smoke coming from those dryers that I just KNOW they are burning people's hair! I see some hispanic girls with straight hair even getting a blow out. I'm like: "you don't even NEED a blowout! Your hair is already straight." I just think that over time, the heat from those high watt blowdryers can probably be just as damaging as some of those curling irons. I can only speak for the dom. salons in my area, but one girl (black) had beautiful, LONG, pretty hair, and after her roller set, she sat in the chair to get a blowout. I watched carefully. I'm telling you, they must have spent at LEAST 15 minutes doing a blow out on her hair because not only did one hispanic girl (the one I was talking about earlier) get a blowout after, but the hispanic girl was blown out and out the door while they were STILL blowing out this other black girls' roots! That was too long IMO. It seems like you've found a place of gold Rabia , because they only spend a minute blowing out your roots. I know they spent more than a minute on my hair. So...I guess all I'm trying to say is: feel lucky that you have a salon that you can trust will take care of your hair gently. The rest of us aren't so lucky sometimes. LOL*

Crystal, I see you're in Maryland. Have you only tried one salon? I got my last blowout at a dominian salon in Silver Spring and was pleasantly surprised at the fact that the chick who did my hair went over my roots very quickly. It wasn't bone straight, but I prefer that. Maybe you should check the salon review bpoard for recommendations. I still saying doing your own hair is best, but you may want to have a place in mind for special and/or last minute occasions (since they take walk ins).

I have had nothing but positive experiences at the Dominican salons. Anyone can be in a rush and try to pull a comb through tangled hair, that is not the domain of only Dominican stylists. In fact, in my experience, only black stylists have done this to me (4a fine, color treated hair). I get upset because they should be the first one to reach for a detangling comb and some water. Again, I think it could just be the salon. However, I still try and support the black salons. I'm still trying to find the best stylist/salon for my hair. Despite the bad experiences, I firmly believe there are good black stylists out there. I just have not found one in my area. I guess I am just sensitive to generalizations. However, I also believe that you are the expert on your own hair and if something is not working, leave it alone.

I used to go to this Dominican salon in Atlanta all the time and my hair really took off. It wasn't their nationality just the techniques of a high tension roller set and the blow outs for the roots. I wish I had a spot for the challenge now. The only bad thing I remember is I would sometimes forget I was due for a touch-up until I tried to wash-n-set my own hair. One time I washed it, felt the roots during the set, and almost fell out the roots were so thick. :eek: The visits really helped me stretch out my relaxers without breakage. With my own roller sets, I find that I get relaxers after about week 10 because anything longer and I am just inviting breakage.

Recently, I went to a Mexican salon because there are no Dominican salons in my area on the advice of this Panamanian lady at my school. The stylist is trying to branch out in the black community. She did an excellent roller set and blow out of the roots. For any salon, I just watch and listen.

I don't understand how anyone can tolerate that HOT blowdryer. I do a lot of things in the name of beauty that hurt e.g. getting eyebrows/legs waxed, cuticles clippled, exercise. But having my scalp burned with what feels like a blow torch is where I draw the line.

I have 4 fine hair too. I would never subject my fragile locks to a blow out. I have several friends who love dom. hair dressers, but they all have thick, lengthy, stong hair. My hair is no where near their texture, so when they rave about their experience I just cheer them on and go to my black hair dresser who is very gentle with my fine hair (she has fine hair also). To each his own. We all have different hair types with different needs. For some, the dom. experience my be just what the doctor ordered. My hair is doing better now than in years and I'm not letting anyone blow it off my head.

caligirl said:
I don't understand how anyone can tolerate that HOT blowdryer. I do a lot of things in the name of beauty that hurt e.g. getting eyebrows/legs waxed, cuticles clippled, exercise. But having my scalp burned with what feels like a blow torch is where I draw the line.

It's funny you said this...I was just in the car with my husband this afternoon telling him that I nearly swore when that dryer hit my roots this morning. I told Lucy that HAD to be the hottest blowdryer in the WORLD. Today, prior to this post even, I decided to space out my bi-weekly visits to the Dom. Salon and maybe go once a month...it's just too freaken hot!

IMO, the blow out is not for fine 4b hair. I think that the combo of heat and pulling is too much for the delicate strands to handle. Finding someone who is gentle is like looking for a needle in a haystack with any type of hairdresser. When I go to a Dominican or any salon for that matter I only let them rollerset and refuse a blow out except for rare occasions like a date or LHCF meeting. :) So Crystal I would continue to go and speak up when you have an issue and just get a rollerset. Tell them to roll tightly so the roots get stretched and you wont need to get anything blown. If necessary I will get a rollerset and come home and run a warm flat iron over the roots for more shine and swing factor. HTH.

Back