Dominican Challenge 1 Month Updates!!!

RabiaElaine

Hi Ladies,

It's been about a month since we started this challenge, so I thought we should update on the first of the month. Please update us on whether you are still on the challenge, your progress, and any problems or questions that you have.

My update:
- I've been going consistenly 1x per week. Last week was the only exception, I went to the Salon last sunday and got a relaxer. I knew I was going to be away this weekend so I washed it myself on thursday. When I washed it I followed the same process that they do at the salon. It came out pretty well. One thing I can say is after doing it myself, I realize how much better I like my hair when they do it, I'm lazy:lachen: .

-My hair has gotten a longer. I believe I retained about 1 inch between last sunday's relaxer and the relaxer I got at the beginning of January:grin: .

-I am experiencing very little breakage or shedding too :D . I experience little shedding right before the relaxer too, even though I had a lot of new growth.

-I'm trying to make sure that I moisturize with WGO or CD Healthy Hair Butter 2x per day, I need to stick to this.

-I am considering adding Hairtopia or Hair Formula 37 to my regimen to speed up my growth. I would love to get 1 inch per month. That would mean I could be very close to bra-strap this year, (I have a short torso, I probably only need 10 inches to get there).

I can't wait to go to the salon later this week or this weekend.

Send in your updates, I can't wait to see how everyone is doing.

Last edited:
I have been going weekly (with exception of this week no $$$$), and I too realize I can't do what they do!

I am 15 weeks post relaxer this week, going to the salon has helped to keep my hair looking straight (I get wrap no direct blow dryer)...but now is time for a relaxer and a 1/2-1 inch trim which I will get this weekend (will be trying Phyto Index 1). :)

I still bring my own products and sometimes pre-condition with Aubreys GPB which I like a lot then just shampoo (1x) and 5 mins with a moisturizing conditioner.

My post pardom shedding has almost completely stopped.

I also started to wash my hair on Wed and go to Dom Salon on Saturdays b/c I notice my hair starts to shed after about 4 days...

I have been using Surge for the past 3 weeks and I believe I SEE GROWTH from it :D :D :D so I am siked about that...I am eager to get a relaxer and trim so I can really watch the growth...and take some pictures

Hope everyone is doing well!!!

lkg4healthyhair,

Hey girl!! I'm glad that your shedding has stopped. Has anything in particular helped you with this. I'm not pregnant but hope to know what to do in case this happens to me in the future.

I'm also glad to know that you are doing well with the regimen!

Hi,

I too go every week with the exception of my touch up. I am happy with them . I had little issue the last time but it was not major just a littel thing. I do not use any kind of oil/grease in my hair.
FOrce of habit had the stylist put razac perfect for perms hair oil dress whateve it is. it was just a little but enough to weigh my hair down. We wrapped my hair up and that was that.
When I got home I left it pinned until the next day.
That was enough time for it to have less of an effect on my hair.

I usually go to the salon with conditioner in my hair to cut out the time I am there. I have noticed that I am begining to get acne on my back becasue of the shampoo and cond. running down my back. In my rush to save time I have blemished my once perfect back, so now I will not do that anymore.

Anyway things are fine with the mamis but they will not be cutting my hair, that is just me.

Thanks!!!! I am happy too...that shedding mess is NO JOKE!

I think weekly protein treatments followed by moisturizing cond did it. I used Nexxus Keraphix and Emergencee (alternating weekly). I noticed the shedding went from REALLY bad :mad: to Bad :( to almost gone now :).

I really think getting it done weekly at the Dom Salon helped also. I had so many tangles and knots I just couldn't handle.....after getting their rollerset I started to see less and less shedding. I washed my hair this week and there was NO HAIR in the comb. Last month I had clumps....

I will be on this challenge for a long time because it works for me :)

I found another very good salon to go to on the weeks between my appt with my normal stylist. I too have noticed less shedding after using Aphogee before a moisturizing treatment followed by Emergencee two weeks after that treatment. My hair has grown but I still despair of my kitchen. I will have to continue treating that area gently. I bought some biotin creme for my hairline and kitchen so hopefully this will help. The

HWAY said:
I found another very good salon to go to on the weeks between my appt with my normal stylist. I too have noticed less shedding after using Aphogee before a moisturizing treatment followed by Emergencee two weeks after that treatment. My hair has grown but I still despair of my kitchen. I will have to continue treating that area gently. I bought some biotin creme for my hairline and kitchen so hopefully this will help. The

That's great HWAY!!,

I'm glad that you found another salon. Are they well priced?
I'm also glad that you are experiencing less shedding. I give myself Emergencee treatments every now and then myself.

I know what you mean with regards to the kitchen:perplexed . I have been experiencing trouble there this winter because I was trying to be cute with my Pashmina scarf. I'm no longer wearing that only silk/satin now, though it's not as warm. Anyway, WGO has helped me to soften it up so it's starting to fill back in. The middle of the kitchen is doing the best right now, the sides need more help. I have started (since the end of last week) to use a concoction of essential oils to stimulate the growth back there, I massage them in for a few minutes then wrap my head in a warm towel. I found the recipe on this board. I'll let you know how that turns out. My recommendation is not to let anything touch back there that isn't your silk scarf, no turtlenecks, nothing! I also try to remember to moisturize back there 2x per day (though sometimes I forget).

Nice job ladies. I wish I had a DS within 15-20 miles of my home. I would be in on the challenge if I could go more often.

melodee said:
Nice job ladies. I wish I had a DS within 15-20 miles of my home. I would be in on the challenge if I could go more often.

You can still be on it. Some people are doing it themselves, just following the techniques that they use.

msniq said:
Hi,

I usually go to the salon with conditioner in my hair to cut out the time I am there. I have noticed that I am begining to get acne on my back becasue of the shampoo and cond. running down my back. In my rush to save time I have blemished my once perfect back, so now I will not do that anymore.

What type of conditioner were you using (pre-poo). I use Aubrey's GPB and it doesn't drip at all.

I go to Mirror Image on 109th & Columbus Ave in NYC for my relaxers only since I live in NJ its too much to try to get there weekly...can't wait to go this week (15 weeks post relaxer!!!!)

I get my weekly wash & sets in NJ at Alba's Doobie Place in.

If you go to Alba's in West Orange, that's the place I've gone to the last two weeks. $20.00 for wash/doobie, deep conditioner and blow dry. My hair feels silky smooth. I bought 2 large silk scarves and a satin pillowcase. Hopefully these will help.

Do any Dominican stylist flat iron the roots instead of blowing out the roots after a rollerset???

HWAY said:
If you go to Alba's in West Orange, that's the place I've gone to the last two weeks. $20.00 for wash/doobie, deep conditioner and blow dry. My hair feels silky smooth. I bought 2 large silk scarves and a satin pillowcase. Hopefully these will help.

Yeah that is the one....I pay $15 for a wash and set and doobie. Why do you pay $20 is it because of conditioner or hair length?

Poohbear said:
Do any Dominican stylist flat iron the roots instead of blowing out the roots after a rollerset???

I've seen them use a flat iron on children with natural hair. They usually blowdry the hair after washing it then do a light flat iron.

lkg4healthyhair said:
What type of conditioner were you using (pre-poo). I use Aubrey's GPB and it doesn't drip at all.

It is the shampoo that is causing the skin reaction. When i wash in the shower it happens. going down my back.

RabiaElaine said:
I've seen them use a flat iron on children with natural hair. They usually blowdry the hair after washing it then do a light flat iron.

This is the only time I see them use a flat iron also. I have seen it several times on natural hair (kids). They wash & Condition, blowdry with a brush and then flat iron. It comes out nice.

I have to add that I don't think they liked doing it though :perplexed

Back