Dominican Blow- out

Vet27

Ladies,
I am taking my braids out this weekend. (7 1/2 wks) Next weekend I am going to get a Dominican blow-out(Thanks to Tai).
My question is if I like it would it be safe to get one every 2 weeks? For about a month, then the next month I would wear my bantu knot set. My last relaxer was 2/1/04, I guess I have 3a/b hair. I want to get to know my REAL hair texture:)
Has anyone experienced splits/thinning, w/blow-outs? I know JenniferMD was going to try it every two weeks.

Vet27

I've been getting blowouts every two weeks since April and haven't seen any splits or thinning; my hair is doing great. Go for it! Let us know how your first one goes.
smile.gif

Thanks JenniferMD!

I will diffently let yall know how it went. my appt. is July 3. she quoted $25.00 over the phone so if I like it, my budget will not suffer.:)

Vet27

Mine was also $25.00.

I would think that you shouldn't experience any damage or splits if you're just going every two weeks. Let us know how it all goes. You are having Harlet do the blowout, right?

Tai,

Yeap I made the appt. for this sat at 11:00am with Harlet. I can't wait. Just wanted to see if anyone had problems with getting them done often.

Vet27

I have gotten about 2 or 3 dominican blow-outs and my hair did not enjoy. Although my hair looked sleek, bouncy and wonderful, my hair suffered. I know this is b/c my hair was not strong enough to sustain the heat so if ur hair is strong I would say go for it. The only way you'll know is 2 get it and if you see your hair reacting badly u can always stop getting them and work on strengthening your hair. Good luck with the blow-out
smile.gif

I used to get blowouts all the time and my hair loved it as well. I say go for it but pay attention to your hair and let us know how you like it.

I get dominican blow-outs but the thing to remember is that you can request they only blowout the roots and wrap your hair (same results in my experience as a full blow-out) or you can ask them to turn down the heat slightly. I love dominican blow-outs but hate the amount of heat and tension they use, so now I just have my roots blowdried and I get the same results after it's been wrapped without burning my ends off.

Ladies,

I went to have my hair blown-out. My hair came out looking like silk! She only charged 25 bucks. I have a regular stylist(who I know is ready to perm my hair) But I kinda want to get to know my real hair texture. Anywho, some of the ladies where looking at me like I was a new day:) I did'nt care. She washed, cond, rolled, and blow dries my roots out. My hair was so dang bouncy, my couisn said my hair was moving like a white girls. And 2 girls at kroger (ages 10 or 12) were whispering about if my hair was real or not! I felt good all weekend. I made a appt. to go back in 2 weeks.
Thanks Tai!

Vet27

I'm so glad it worked out. Harlet is the bomb! I have a regular stylist too but I'm going to see Harlet at the end of the month & I'm taking my mom w/ me.
smile.gif

Did you take any pics?

I don't have a digital camera yet. But my hair is about the same lenght as yours(Tai) Dumb question is harlet the one with full lips and long black hair? One person washed and rolled, I guess harlet did the blow out. Did'nt you say her aunt owns a beatuy supply? Tai, why did I get all lost(stupid mapquest) I went down to far(by tireman) then went the other way I went down wyoming and ended up in dearborn into a arbaic neibhood:) turned around again and called the shop:) Harlet asked me who told me about the shop, and I said a friend!

Vet27

Harlet is the one w/ the full lips and the long black hair.
smile.gif
She works at the booth in the back of the salon. I had a pregnant lady wash & roll me. I didn't pick up her name. She didn't seem to speak much English.
Girl, I'm SO sorry you got lost. I almost always do in SW Detroit. I took 94 to get to the shop and didn't have to turn too much.
Harlet's aunt does own the BSS. It's on the corner of Vernor & Springwells but even though they sound close by, they're not. She has some Salerm, Lafier, and Nacidit products. She also has the Lacio Lacio that Sengschick loves that I'm just lukewarm about. I
love.gif
Salerm 21.

What exactly is a 'Dominican Blow out'? Where I live in Texas Elgin to be exact-I have never heard of it. Are chemicals applied? if so what chemicals? Is it like a perm? Can it be done on a child?
confused.gif

Also, is the Dominican hair product 'Star Perma Strate Wheat Germ Hair Conditioner' a perm, a deep conditioner or some type of relaxer? I have never heard or seen any Dominican products where I live.
frown.gif

Thanks for the info!
smile.gif

The Star Perma Strate is a creamy leave in conditioner. It's supposed to work well when doing blowouts or just using heat to straighten your hair.
A Dominican blowout is a style/technique. The stylist uses a handheld drier and a round brush to dry your hair. It's often done after a rollerset but it can be done on wet hair, too. For some reason, it seems to get your hair straighter than blowing it out w/ a comb attachment.
I've had my hair blown out by other stylists who used a brush but it wasn't as straight or as silky as when I went to the Dominican salon to get it done. Maybe their technique is different? I'm not sure.
Blowouts can be done on all hair types. There's no chemicals involved.
HTH

I hate the salons that insist you do it from rollers first. As if it's any less damaging? All it does is make you spend double the time in the salon. I end up sittng under a dryer for an hour and then they have to blow out my Shirley Temple curls. I also find that it just doesn't seem to last as long!
I like salons that will just blow it out from wet hair. It looks 100% better!

Harlet didn't insist that you do a rollerset first. I requested it.
I was the only one to have a rollerset before my blowout. The rollers she used were so big that I didn't have Shirley Temple curls.
I guess it all depends on the stylist.

Back