Does your SO like your hair?

Leeda.the.Paladin

Mine hates mine. Hates it.

He was unhappy when I cut it off for the BC, but he knew how important it was to me, so he supported me. He doesn't say anything about it at all, but I have caught him looking at my hair with a distinct frown on his face. One time I badgered it out of him how he felt about it and all he would say was "Maybe I'll like it when it grows more". :rolleyes:

I was just wondering if anyone else had problems with an SO not approving of your hair....or maybe someone who's SO used to not like their hair and came to love it.

No SO here, so no advice-- but I'm sorry you're having that experience :sad:
Hopefully it will get better.

mine supported me in the bc but prefers it long...doesnt say much about it now but he likes it better str8 so it looks longer :ohwell: and he doesnt like my puff becuz it looks frizzy he likes the curls defined or naked but not finger picked.....but i like it both ways soooo since he loves me he deals with it and all of the hair talk that i constantly engage him in lol

NO, I BUN IT EVERYDAY AND HE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND WHY I WON'T WEAR IT DOWN. HE'LL BE HAPPY IN ABOUT 1.5 - 2 YEARS, MAYBE A LITTLE SOONER :grin:

Mine never had any complaints about it. Everytime i tell him I'm going to cut my hair he just smiles and says ok

mine didnt care that i bc'd because he wanted me to loc it..but now he hates my protective styling aong with the fact that I refuse to loc

He was unhappy when I cut it off for the BC, but he knew how important it was to me, so he supported me. He doesn't say anything about it at all, but I have caught him looking at my hair with a distinct frown on his face. One time I badgered it out of him how he felt about it and all he would say was "Maybe I'll like it when it grows more". :rolleyes:

I was just wondering if anyone else had problems with an SO not approving of your hair....or maybe someone who's SO used to not like their hair and came to love it.

What doesn't he like about it ? i think you need to know that and work it out from there.
My SO likes mine, but I love to color (I was a blonde last summer) :nono: and he was not crazy about that .. but nothing about my hair really bothers him. I'm relaxer free as well ...
be positive and show him pictures of natural hair .. tell him what the relaxer was doing to your scalp and hair .. and once in a while blow your hair out to let him see that is is growing healthy and you have choices now that you did not have when it was relaxed.

What doesn't he like about it ? i think you need to know that and work it out from there.
My SO likes mine, but I love to color (I was a blonde last summer) :nono: and he was not crazy about that .. but nothing about my hair really bothers him. I'm relaxer free as well ...
be positive and show him pictures of natural hair .. tell him what the relaxer was doing to your scalp and hair .. and once in a while blow your hair out to let him see that is is growing healthy and you have choices now that you did not have when it was relaxed.

I've explained to him about why I'm not relaxing, etc, and he agrees, he just doesn't like the end result. He doesn't like short hair at all, and he says that's his main problem, but I have to wonder. There's nothing that I can do about it, though. I'm not changing my hair for anyone.

First of all, your hair is very pretty and will only continue getting prettier as it grows out :yep:

I'm sure you're not crazy over every part of him. I'm sure you're attracted to him overall, but there are things about him physically that you don't find to be "perfect". No one is perfect.

People have their preferences, most men prefer long hair on women. He's still with you, hopefully you have a good relationship with him... maybe he just simply prefers you with longer hair.

I know we always want our SO's to love us to pieces and become their ideal woman in every way, but it doesn't always work like that.

Personally I know that my SO prefers natural red, long, straight hair. :lol: No matches there... but he does like my hair and it seems as it gets longer he likes it more. When I straighten it he goes ape though.

Truthfully I prefer curlier, kinkier hair and he's a type 1. I like his hair, but coily hair is my first love :)

I know I rambled some, but hopefully I got my point across. lol

Don't let it get you down! Maybe try telling him to be a little more sensitive to your feelings (don't FROWN at your hair) but you'll live if he isn't crazy about your hair.

The important thing is that he's crazy about YOU.

I've explained to him about why I'm not relaxing, etc, and he agrees, he just doesn't like the end result. He doesn't like short hair at all, and he says that's his main problem, but I have to wonder. There's nothing that I can do about it, though. I'm not changing my hair for anyone.

Ok .. Men LOL .. Next year he'll love it ,it will be a lot longer .. it's a waiting game for now .. YOU LOOK great !

hmmm... yes and no. He likes straight hair - but he understands my hair goals and all the pain the goes with trying to change my texture.

My SO says he likes my hair curly (think shrinkage), BUT the second I get my hair blow dried he's all oohing and aahhing me and tries to get me in bed so fast I almost get whiplash LOL

So he might be pulling my leg or just likes the hair when it looks longer
Don't know

First of all, your hair is very pretty and will only continue getting prettier as it grows out :yep:

I'm sure you're not crazy over every part of him. I'm sure you're attracted to him overall, but there are things about him physically that you don't find to be "perfect". No one is perfect.

People have their preferences, most men prefer long hair on women. He's still with you, hopefully you have a good relationship with him... maybe he just simply prefers you with longer hair.

I know we always want our SO's to love us to pieces and become their ideal woman in every way, but it doesn't always work like that.

Personally I know that my SO prefers natural red, long, straight hair. :lol: No matches there... but he does like my hair and it seems as it gets longer he likes it more. When I straighten it he goes ape though.

Truthfully I prefer curlier, kinkier hair and he's a type 1. I like his hair, but coily hair is my first love :)

Don't let it get you down! Maybe try telling him to be a little more sensitive to your feelings (don't FROWN at your hair) but you'll live if he isn't crazy about your hair.

Thank you for saying that ever so much better than I could have!! :lol: I was about to agonize over a post.

I honestly don't know how DH feels about my hair. :lol: He doesn't comment on it (besides remarks on my kitchen witchery) much at all. I know he likes it out (which I don't like) so sometimes I'll wear it that way for him. Otherwise - *shrug* - we don't talk on my hair.

He was more supportive than I thought he would be when I BC'd. I wore my twa under a wig for several months when I first BC'd and he would be the one to say, "your hair is so cute, wear it out like that."

The only time he had a complaint was when I wore protective styles for almost a year and a half. He got tired of that. Hell, even I was bored looking at myself. :lol:

Now that its longer, he prefers rollersets over flat-ironed hair.

Yep. That is what really matters. As long as that does not change, then you're good, girl.

No, not right now. He likes it when I wear my hair out straight. For the past 6 weeks or so, it's been in either a bun or a braidout. He knows I'm trying to grow my hair longer, so he's 'dealing' with it.

My husband loves my hair, but likes it when I wear the braidouts instead of it straight or pincurled. He told me that he would like for me to go natural because he likes messing with my new growth :lol:, but I told him about the horror I went through when I was natural. I told him maybe some time in the future, but I want to see how far my relaxed hair gets me, and how I do with managing stretches. I was surprised to hear him speak like this because he is an Asian man with some of the most beautiful silky hair.

I totally understand where you are coming from. My Boyfriend does not like my hair natural at all. I also catch him at times looking at my hair very strangly. He prefers for me to have my hair straight. I told him that he has to deal with it :yawn:.

My husband loves my hair, but likes it when I wear the braidouts instead of it straight or pincurled. He told me that he would like for me to go natural because he likes messing with my new growth :lol:, but I told him about the horror I went through when I was natural. I told him maybe some time in the future, but I want to see how far my relaxed hair gets me, and how I do with managing stretches. I was surprised to hear him speak like this because he is an Asian man with some of the most beautiful silky hair.

awww thats so sweet! and so rare in our time..

It's not his favorite attribute of mine, but he has characteristics that aren't my ideal so we're cool. :yep:

MY ex SO loved when I BC. He hated permed hair and thought that many BW should consider going Natural. On the other hand, my new SO says he loves my hair straight more than in its natural state, but isn't dead against my natural. He says he prefers my eyes anyway and my hair is just an accessory.

to the OP: I hope you don't consider relaxing on the opinion of you SO. I know so many of us choose our hair length and styles according to what we think men like instead of what we really desire.

He LOVES it.

Everytime I wear it down (every 3-5 months) he compliments me on it. In a cute lil boy voice he said " I wike you hayeh" :drunk:

I asked him about going natural and a BC and he said " You know I would be a fool to comment on your hair". I don't think he would like me being natural though.

I will admit I care alot about what he thinks of my looks and probably won't do anything drastic without atleast discussing it with him

OP: Your hair is beautiful.

Last edited:
He loves it. He is extremely supportive in whatever I decide to do. He doesn't care. Long short whatever. He is actually the voice of reason manys times when I want to do something crazy to it.

Back