Does your SO like your hair?

i'm not too sure. all of my ex's couldn't keep their hands out my hair. they probably contributed to some of my damage in the past :lachen:but my SO doesn't really say anything about my hair other than the fact that he "better not see me in the barber's chair beside him getting a line up" lol. i don't wear my hair straight or down as much so maybe he doesn't truly realize how long and healthy my hair is or maybe he sees past the hair that i am desperately trying to grow lol

My honey loves my hair, he's always running his hands through it, even when I don't want him too :lachen:.

I've explained to him about why I'm not relaxing, etc, and he agrees, he just doesn't like the end result. He doesn't like short hair at all, and he says that's his main problem, but I have to wonder. There's nothing that I can do about it, though. I'm not changing my hair for anyone.

your hair looks nice and well done imo. i think many men are hung up on the length of their woman's hair and just prefer long hair. you often hear about the woman who BCs down to short hair and her man does not like it but when it grows longer he loves it.

i can understand it's upsetting when your man doesn't like one aspect of you but i wouldn't get too upset about it. he may just be one of these men who prefer long hair, whether relaxed or natural (please correct me if i'm wrong here). if he has deeper issues with your hair (he finds natural hair ugly) then i think his reaction towards your hair may have been more unpleasant. still, even if this wasn't the case, if he hates natural hair, this will probably make itself evident sooner rather than later.

if i were in your shoes, i wouldn't show him any pictures of other naturals nor would i keep questioning about his stance on my hair. he will get over it. sometimes men have to mentally adjust to their partner making a big change to their hair just like some women do.

My DH likes my big sock buns. :grin: But he loooooves when my hair is straightend out and flowing down my back. He cant keep his paws off my hair....especially while we're......well, you know. :look: Sometimes I have to slap his little hands becaue he'll start pulling and get a little to happy!! :hammer:

My husband loves my hair best when it's ~ natural ...preferably long/big('froed), twist outs, braid-outs etc.

middle tier ~
likes my twists, locs, braids, buns, corn rows, knots

low tier ~ tolerates but doesn't like -
relaxed, super-short cuts, bangs

We don't really talk about it a lot. I tend to jump up and do things when the mood strikes. When we we dating I TWA'd then had a coloring accident and ended up with an bronzey brassy blondey easter egg head mess.

no pics of that.

If I complain and threaten to shave my head, he'll watch the kids while I do my hair.:grin:

He loves my hair and he wishes it was even bigger and coilier! :grin:
To those with men that don't love their hair: do you! As long as you feel good about your process and your hair, that's all that matters.

I can honestly say that my current BF does not like my hair. He says that I wear the same style or variations on the same style. It is true, it hurt my feelings a little.

I've been very lucky to have someone that loves me and loves all my looks. He loves my hair. The only time he came close to saying something off was when it was the awkward grow-out stage. He looked and said, "this must be the awkward stage." I quickly fixed that statement, he never said it again.

When I first BCd, he didn't like it.

As if gets longer, he seems to be coming around a little more, but we don't really talk about it anymore because I know, deep down, he doesn't care for natural hair and much preferred my hair when it was long and relaxed.

Thing is, I stopped caring a long time ago.:lachen:I'ma do me, regardless. There are things about him that I don't care for, but I love him, so I deal. And vice-versa.:yep:

Mine hates mine. Hates it.

He was unhappy when I cut it off for the BC, but he knew how important it was to me, so he supported me. He doesn't say anything about it at all, but I have caught him looking at my hair with a distinct frown on his face. One time I badgered it out of him how he felt about it and all he would say was "Maybe I'll like it when it grows more". :rolleyes:

I was just wondering if anyone else had problems with an SO not approving of your hair....or maybe someone who's SO used to not like their hair and came to love it.
Awww, I'm sorry this is happening to you. I was growing my relaxer out years ago and my SO (now ex) was trying to throw hints that I should do something different with my hair. Then one day, he just came out and told me that he doesn't like my hair and wanted me to get it relaxed again. It's sad, but most of our men like our hair straightened- sometimes they are not open to natural hair. Soon after he said that, I caved in and relaxed. I'm not saying if that's good or bad though, but I just couldn't bare the thought of him deeming me unattractive just because of my hair.

Maybe you two can compromise. If he likes your hair straight, maybe you can keep it natural, but straighten it for him on the weekends or something like that. I wish you the best!

BTW: Your hair is beautiful right now! Can you imagine when it get's even longer having all those pretty ringlets?? :yep: I think he'll love it.

My DH is in the middle about the hair. Unfortunately when we met, I had just done a cut and I had short cropped hair (see fotki)
But I wore a lot of weaves, so he saw me in long hair a lot, and he prefers the long weaves.
There is one short style that he fancies, one where my hair has big curls (see fotki).
He picks at my hair a lot, saying that I have to use a rice grain to curl my hair :grin:

Anyway, I never really consult him about my hair choices, though. :ohwell:

Sadly, he hears about my long thick hair from old friends that are pre-DH, so he kinda sulks because he has never seen my hair like that.

This is so weird for me about these SO/BFs because I never heard anything about my husband's hair preferences until a while after marriage. Even during my EasterEgg Eve/Cisco experiment. He reassured me(because I was trippin' until I fixed it) & never made me feel any less attractive.

He might been thinking :shocked: :nono: but didn't show/tell it.:grin:

Now 90 percent of the time I ask him for an opinion.

When I was dating, if a guy made any sort of eval/criticism about my appearance he was out of the rotation. NEXT. If these SOs are really into you, then the hair thing can't possibly be that deep.

My husband loves my hair, but likes it when I wear the braidouts instead of it straight or pincurled. He told me that he would like for me to go natural because he likes messing with my new growth :lol:, but I told him about the horror I went through when I was natural. I told him maybe some time in the future, but I want to see how far my relaxed hair gets me, and how I do with managing stretches. I was surprised to hear him speak like this because he is an Asian man with some of the most beautiful silky hair.

My SO is like this. He wants me to go natural and I'm like nah, not yet. He did see me natural for a year and thats his preference. I'm still like uh uh, not yet.

He prefers it curly over straight and wishes I wouldn't bun or pony as often as I do (its my default hairstyle)

He's ok with the head wrap but always calls me grandma when I got it on:lachen:

He's very supportive no matter what I do to it.

-A

My SO has always loved my hair even when it was at it's shortest. He just loves healthy hair no matter the length. :yep:

Now that being said, homeboy is VERY excited about me growing my hair. :lol: He's never seen me with long hair (*I've* never seen me with long hair) so it's something for us to look forward to together. He doesn't like when I wear my hair clipped up. He and down, either straight or curly. When I do my wash n go's he is always playing in it, saying I look like I'm from an 'island'. :rolleyes: :lol: Silly man. :cloud9: (I'm extremely frustrated with him right now :hardslap: but I'll be over it in a few minutes. :love2::lol: )

My Hubby don't care what I do to my hair whether it be natural, relaxed, texlaxed, curly,nappy straight,bald,short dry fro etc. He supports me, all he ask now is that I just let my hair grow:grin: whatever I want to do with my hair he is all for it, so I guess that is why I have had so many BC and gone from natural to relax 5011 times LOL!!!

Oh dear.

This is SUCH a hot topic with me.

My SO prefers that I wear my hair pressed and straight. He doesn't really care about the length but he doesn't like natural hair :ohwell:

Well I prefer my men rich and don't necessarily like that he is not (joke) so he will have to get over it.

I dislike when he says "you can rock that fro cause your cute" What?

We just don't talk about hair much. As long as I look cute and put together, he says nothing.

I really wish women would do what makes THEM happy with their hair, not what a man says.

That said, I know it can be hard when someone you love gives you the Musiq Soulchild eye in reference to your hair but keep the faith.

Natural hair is beautiful, at ALL lengths! Rock on!

Mine didn't like it at first but he was supportive.

He tells me I'm cute a lot more now than he did when I was relaxed...maybe it "grew" on him.

He'll come around girl.

I think length is a factor too thought b/c my only real hair goal is unstretched SL. I'll be in heaven when I get there lol

The only problem that my guy has with my hair is that I wear it the same way all the time. The first time he ever saw my hair after an air-dry, he was just like, "Wow, I never knew you had that much hair on your head," (b/c I always wear it in a ponytail tucked under):look:. He even wants to take me to get hairclips to "switch it up a bit." I mean personally, I want to but I'm not very good with styling hair, I can't roller set and everything I do comes out looking funny so I just pull it back in the bun. Also, since I'm trying to stay away from the heat, there is not much I can do to style. (I can't even do proper braidouts!!!):wallbash:.

He likes my hair anyway I style it...when I actually style it...which is never b/c I always have a stylist style it. I am currently relaxed b/c I tried doing the natural thing b/c I stretched a really long time and LOVED the curls but turns out...I can't style natural hair either.

My husband doesn't care if my hair is long or short, but he prefers it natural to straight, he says natural hair suits me better. He also prefers my hair pulled back in a bun or ponypuff, he'll have to live without that style for a minute until I decide to grow it out again.

Mine likes my hair either way. But his favorites are Natural and long, Braid outs, wash and go. He wants to see it longer. So every day he tells me I need to go back to getting protective styles. He is a little too much into my regimen. I love that boy.

Mine likes mine especially when it's freshly done I think. He just doesn't understand why I want to grow it to WL though. I think he likes it just way it is now:rolleyes: or a little longer maybe. hmmm I'll ask him later. I never thought to before.

ETA: I asked him last night. He said yeah it's cool, he likes it. I asked him if he liked it when it was short (just under ear length) and he said he's never seen me with my hair short. I said remember beginning of 06? He said it wasn't short then. This was also when my hair was breaking like mad. He used to comment on that though. He's okay with me growing it longer now :) The good thing is whatever I do with my hair, he's going to support it. Love him to death.

Last edited:
I'm assuming that SO stands for significant other.

Mine really likes my hair natural. He's never been one for permed hair. He's not one to touch hair, but he certainly likes looking at it. Particularly since I've started wearing chunky fros, which is my favorite, easy style. He calls me Soul Sistsa #5. :lachen:

He's a lot older than me and I think sometimes remind him of the women he used to date in late sixties and seventies. :rolleyes:

Loves my kinks and also likes when I straighten it for a change.
Loves braids, but is'nt too keen on twists, which is what I have now.
He thinks the twist make me look like a little girl and he is right!

Back