Does your S/O know how to do your daughter's hair?

tropical-punch

Just curious. I bet alot of us had our hair cared for primarily by our mothers (or another female) but there always seems to be that one time that mom wasn't around and dad had to do our hair :lachen:.
Have you taught your S/O what to do with your daughter's hair?
If so, is this part of the routine that is shared amongst the two of you or does one usually tackle that part?

Maybe you should post this in Childrens Hair Care.

And the times(very rare) that my dad did my hair I had lopsided ponys and crooked parts!

^^^ At least your father attempted to comb your hair sadly, whatever style my mother left my hair in is the one she met me wearing along with it being matted and having a little fuzzy in it and that man still had the nerve to tell me that I looked good when I went to school in the morning.

I wish DH would make (a real) effort to learn to do the girls hair. In my house I'm getting everyone dressed, fed, doing hair,packing food,any necessary supplies, cleaning the kitchen all while he eats and asks if I'm ready. ....sigh...

I understand why men usually marry quickly if they loose their wife. Sometimes I wish I had a wife.

My SO doesn't know how to style hair but he's really good at scalp oiling and massaging. :giggle: When I was 8 my mom had to leave the country for 3 months and my dad had to take over hair care for his four daughters. I remember he would try to braid it and then just tuck it under. LOL. Those were good days. It looked horrible but I love him for trying.

No, & I'm OK with that. My daughter has a nice bit of hair for her age & besides myself I'm only comfortable with myself, my mom or my aunties touching her hair. When I young my dad could not take all the wincing when mom did my hair so she always stopped midstream whenever he arrived & I have lots of pics with half done hair. At least DH is not that bad.

Don't have children, but my father frequently did my hair. My mother had to be at work at 6 am for several years, so my father got me ready. He did a pretty good job. Nothing complicated, but he could do a couple ponytails. He had a banging afro back in the day, so he wasn't unfamiliar with taking care of hair. Only thing was, he wasn't nearly as gentle as my mother.

When I was around 6 and my mom was pregnant with my sister, she taught my dad for months how to style my hair.
I remember like it was yesterday, :lol: my mom went into labor, and my dad tried to style my hair before it was time to go, my mom went off when she saw my head. Poor thing did my hair in between contractions.

My dad wasn't good at that stuff, he watched me wash my hair with cheap soap once and thought that's how it was done. :look:

My S/O helped me wash my daughter's hair once, and a few times when I was I tired or in a rush, he put my daughter's hair in a ponytail for me. It was very neat.
After I wash her hair or when I'm styling, he watches. He's very observant, so I think he could do it. :yep:

Our children are mixed and my husband who is white took the family back to Indy without me becuase I had to work. Now I schooled this man for at least 2 weeks before he left because my daughter was NOT about to look like a lion the whole time. He took the time to practice and knows never to comb without a spray bottle and some conditioner. He loves the curly natural look on her, but forgot about the tangles. This man let our 2 year old go to sleep on a wash and go! He is a man after all. I say he got a C+ from the pictures I saw when they got back. But honey, his grandmother tried to do my daughters hair and he had to pull the brush away from her, lol. They love Dani, but they are 100% clueless about how to do any kind of textured hair.

He's gotten alot better at detangling since then. If you asked him he thought he did a GREAT job. He was so proud of his accomplish , he sent me a pic of her on FB. I was horrified at what I saw, but I didn't tell him. If I make him feel like he's terrible at it, he'll never want to do it again.

no, but he needs too. he has tried to style her hair a few times, and it looked a hot mess, but i didn't say anything. i really wish he would learn. i hated picking her up from her dad's house, since i knew she was going to be looking crazy. it was a shame that she had an aunt and grandmother around that didn't do anything to her hair either.

My DH tries (bless his heart), but she just has way too much hair for him to tackle. He knows how to carefully undo her braids or ponytails, but as for an actual style that looks presentable, he hasn't quite gotten there yet.

He understands not to ever comb her hair while it's dry, and to use a leave-in, but that's about it. Once I had to go visit a relative in the hospital, and he had to get DD ready. When I saw her hair, it looked like she had been in a fight or just had been rubbing her hair on the carpet. DH said, "I "fluffed" it and seemed proud of himself.

Last edited:
I remember when my mom was stationed in Korea for a year. My dad made attempts at trying to do my hair and he tried bless his heart. I love him for it.

I don't have any kids with my SO but my own naturally curly hair and everything I do for/to it blows him away :lol:

He can do 1 simple ponytail on top of her head and he can undo-redo 2 ponytails (that Ive previously done) ,as long as he doesnt have to 'repart', hes good

ETA: but hes still skeptical on his outcome and hes still learning :grin:

As a mixed kid, I feel Msmchy's daughter's pain....lol...My mom was clueless...(Hell, she can't even do her own straight type 1a hair...lol)....so my dad was the primary beautician in the family....and I must say he rocked it.....he could braid ribbons thru the ponytails and get the straightest cleanest looking parts and twists going...not to mention he could blow dry too....wow. when I think about it now he was pretty damn good at it!...(THANK GOODNESS HE GREW UP WITH SISTERS)....LOL.....My ex, who I have a DD with is a hot mess on the other hand...my daughter always winds up looking like a cave woman when she comes back from his house.....smh....at least hes a great dad tho'

Not quite but he is going to learn! At the least (now) he can put on the hairbows that may fall off while she is playing and retwist a ponytail.

Back