Does Your Hair Ever Enter A Critical Period...

kblc06

Where despite your best effort, your ends become mangled, splits occur, hair loses moisture much more easily, etc. For me it seems that this period is a few inches below apl (when I'm 1-4 inches away from bsl :ohwell:). I HATE IT-even my most beloved products don't act the same :wallbash: - my hair just gets weird and stupid. I been at this point 3 times over the past year and lost the inches that would've put be at bsl :nono:. Does this ever happen to anyone besides me? How do you prevent it?

hey kblc. i read somewhere on here where a lady said that you may need to adjust your products, techniques or even your entire regimen as your hair reaches new growth stages.

it made alot of sense to me and when i think about it, i've changed my routines several times and even some products @ each growth stage.

things that worked good @ just touching shoulder length sometimes won't work at just below shoulder - maybe for the simple reason that more of the hair is making contact with more of the shoulder area , i dunno.

i know whenever my hair reaches a weird stage (there's been several) that's when i try to put it in more protective styles and start making adjustments like focusing on strength, moisture retention and avoiding over manipulation - at least until i get over the hump.

this may be your time to try different things to correct the problem especially if you find you've been at this point before. avoid doing things the same way as you did in the past.

^^^what lynnieb said!

i've had to switch up my products and reggie 3 times - that's almost every year! as hair grows out it takes on different needs... ESPECIALLY the ends. you have to understand, the ends keep getting older and have more wear and tear on them (combing, styling, etc.). so a light moisturizer that worked last year, might not be enough this year as your ends are "thirstier." (speaking from my own experience :look: )

i am a PJ at heart so i'm CONSTANTLY experimenting. some things i've found to be "too moisturizing" in the past might be exactly what i need in the future. shoot i never really needed protein treatments before this past year, but all that co-washing was making my hair mushy and causing my ends to split. i am dreading this upcoming year because now my shrunken hair touches my shoulders - i'm probably gonna have to switch from loose hair to protective styles. but this gives me an excuse to rock more cute braid styles and buy more fake hair (phony ponies, wigs, falls, etc.).

Last edited:
^^^what lynnieb said!

i've had to switch up my products and reggie 3 times - that's almost every year! as hair grows out it takes on different needs... ESPECIALLY the ends. you have to understand, the ends keep getting older and have more wear and tear on them (combing, styling, etc.). so a light moisturizer that worked last year, might not be enough this year as your ends are "thirstier." (speaking from my own experience :look: )

i am a PJ at heart so i'm CONSTANTLY experimenting. some things i've found to be "too moisturizing" in the past might be exactly what i need in the future. shoot i never really needed protein treatments before this past year, but all that co-washing was making my hair mushy and causing my ends to split. i am dreading this upcoming year because now my shrunken hair touches my shoulders - i'm probably gonna have to switch from loose hair to protective styles. but this gives me an excuse to rock more cute braid styles and buy more fake hair (phony ponies, wigs, falls, etc.).

Thanks you guys, I never thought about it that way. But all I need is something to set off my PJism :spinning:

This makes sense, never would have thought of it on my own. I'm glad I never throw any products away. :grin:

Yes. I believe haircare does change with length. I cannot handle my bsl hair the same way I could handle say, shoulder length hair. You may need to reevaluate how you comb, brush, handling hair when wet, etc. Consider minimizing manipulation to get over the hump. From personal experience, these factors can be very important with changing lengths. Just focus on being super gentle. As far as products I know my hair tends to get used to certain things, so I am always on the hunt for more products , unfortunately:spinning:that do what I need them to do so I can switch as needed.

YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am btwn APL & BSL and you have taken the thoughts right outta my head. this is exactly what's happening to the last 1-2 inches of my hair right now. :cry: last week I DC'd with humecto with heat I left it in overnight and the next day I DC'd with ORS replenshing pak and airdried and my hair was really nice and some with no breakage but this effect lasted literally only 1 day. The next morning I was back to tangley dry hair!:wallbash:

KEEP THE SUGGESTIONS COMING LADIES

Back