Does this sound about right?

Kamilah

I'm about to wash but tell me if this sounds about right. My plan is as follows:

Pre-poo on damp hair w/Stay-Sof fro (to wet it) and some BBD creme

Shampoo w/either MNT or Creme of Nature

Condition w/Silicon Mix

Follow w/ORS pak (or Moisture Plus)

....is the Silicon Mix for silicone or protein? Should I use the Motions Moisture Plus instead of the ORS (is that one a protein?) ?

I know I need to use something after Silicon Mix b/c I used it on Tuesday and although I love the feel of my hair afterwards, I had shedding and my hair looks dry (and my ends felt dry/crispy).

Please help!

Kamilah said:
I know I need to use something after Silicon Mix b/c I used it on Tuesday and although I love the feel of my hair afterwards, I had shedding and my hair looks dry (and my ends felt dry/crispy).

IMO, if your hair was dry and crispy after silicon mix, it sounds like you need more moisture in your hair and less protein for awhile. Or you need to do a combo of protein (for shedding) and moisture for a while until you get into balance.

ORS is a deep or replenishing conditioner to put moisture back in your hair.

Dont know if this will help, but I just gave away my replenishing paks to my friend because I have found a DC that contains NO protein and that is something that i have been looking for. BTW I have been using Elasta QP DPR 11 and I :love: it. i dont know too much about silicon mix, but like auntysmoky said you might be lacking mositure, so I would go with the motions.

Are you deep conditioning with the Silicon Mix? Does the Silicon mix have a protein ingredient in it???

If it has protein, I would follow with a moisture only conditioner, not ORS because it has protein and that would be sort of redundant. If you like how your hair feels after ORS, you can deep condition with ORS alone.

Kamilah said:
So the shedding is from too much protein?

The dry and brittle hair is probably too much protein. Shedding to a point is natural. I am 13 weeks post and I still shed some hair because I only comb my hair when I wash it but my hair is healthy, growing and shedding less and less. It took a few weeks of maintenance for my hair to get properly balanced (moisturized and strength). Not just 1 or 2 washes.

You need to do a search on the board for:
A Newcomer's guide to starting out and Sisterslick Hair Breakage 101.

Last edited:
Back