Does the race of the doc. matter when it comes to treatment for your scalp/hair?

peachfuzzz

My 3 yr old dd is having issues with her hair coming out of her scalp w/o warning (I think it may be alopecia). I've been careful not to braid tight, I rarely use rubber bands near the base of her hair, but dime size areas still randomly just come out (with bulbs attached) when I unbraid to wash her hair. It's usually not around her edges either, though it has happened once there too. My dd's insurance will cover the derm. appt. But my mom told me to make sure I find a black derm. since they have a better idea about black hair.

Does this really matter? If any of you have ever had to visit the derm. did you find that the race of the doctor made a difference with the diagnosis and results?

I wouldn't care personally, my derm is a Chinese man, our hair is essentially the same it just has different textures. I would only go out of my way to find a black dermatologist if I felt like my current dermatologist was totally clueless & I've never run across that. I'd say don't be picky about the derm (you might be pleasantly surprised) but at the same time use your judgement, you know your daughter & her body chemistry better than anyone, don't let a degree fool you into thinking otherwise.

It doesn't matter to me. I have had my hair done by Black, White, and Asian with no problems. So, a doctor's race wouldn't make much difference either. IMO

My 3 yr old dd is having issues with her hair coming out of her scalp w/o warning (I think it may be alopecia). I've been careful not to braid tight, I rarely use rubber bands near the base of her hair, but dime size areas still randomly just come out (with bulbs attached) when I unbraid to wash her hair. It's usually not around her edges either, though it has happened once there too. My dd's insurance will cover the derm. appt. But my mom told me to make sure I find a black derm. since they have a better idea about black hair.

Does this really matter? If any of you have ever had to visit the derm. did you find that the race of the doctor made a difference with the diagnosis and results?

this is happening too much to our children. my grandsons were having this problem all summer and one of them it coming back. I really would like to know what is behind this.

Don't focus on your doctor's race. Focus on competency.

When I was younger my mom took me to this black dermatologist that came highly recommended by the black community and he wanted to take a blood sample. Tell me why they doctor and nurse thought my stretch marks were veins and were clueless about how to take blood. My mother was blinded by the degree and I am sitting there thinking how are you a dermatologist and have no idea what a stretch mark looks like.

this is happening too much to our children. my grandsons were having this problem all summer and one of them it coming back. I really would like to know what is behind this.

Me too! I don't know if it's allergy or just a very sensitive scalp. I've a friend whose son has something like this, but his is due to eczema of the scalp. I'm wondering if I need to remove dairy from our diet to help with this problem.

Don't focus on your doctor's race. Focus on competency.

When I was younger my mom took me to this black dermatologist that came highly recommended by the black community and he wanted to take a blood sample. Tell me why they doctor and nurse thought my stretch marks were veins and were clueless about how to take blood. My mother was blinded by the degree and I am sitting there thinking how are you a dermatologist and have no idea what a stretch mark looks like.
:blush:

WOW! That's scary!

I can say that I had different experiences, but I don't know if it was based on race or knowledge. I was seeing a white derm for nearly a year to treat seb derm - just because she was 3 miles from the house. She kept giving me foams and sprays that were drying out my hair and not treating the problem. I had one appt with a well-known black derm and he solved the problem with the first treatment. He gave me a shot of triamcinolone (steroid) and an ointment to grease my scalp. It's chronic, so he didn't cure it but it's under control. He's a 30 mile drive, but worth it. I only see him once a year for a touchup so to speak :lol:

Last edited:
they were giving them oral meds that is for wing worm but this stuff got all over my grandson body. I don't know what happen but I know they had to keep giving it to him and they could never tell us what it really was. so far his hair grew back and no sign of it again yet.

I've gone to derms of many races... Focus on knowledge as one person said... For example one white derm told me to use no conditioner AT ALL a black derm looked at my ao like it was crap and gave me something that I told her didn't work and a black male derm suggested I go relaxer free until my scalp was in order which is what inspired my transition but he still prescribed the same round of meds. I would take my child to a trichologist or holistic doctor before I let a derm touch my baby's scalp just my opinion though. derms are mostly taught one size fits all and that is just simply incorrect.

That sounds like a thyroid problem but my derm was white. I doubt what they tell you varies much since the focus is on the scalp and not the hair. Please do not wait though! I had seborric (I know I spelled that wrong) dermatitis on my scalp when I was 17 and that hair is still sparse in that area and I will be 21 in two months :nono:

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

Oh yeah I also wanted to add that what they give you more than likely will dry the hair. Medicated shampoos are not designed to be moisturizing to hair strands but rather to medicate the scalp.

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

No I don't believe it would. I went a few months back b/c my hair was falling out which I told the doc and he started running his hands through it, I guess to see if any would fall:perplexed. Anyways he tested me for everything under the sun, thyroid, CBC, metabolic, without me having to ask. He was white.

Imo, its the competency and knowledge. I have eczema and most of my life i seen white providers, they treated me like everyone, i had some positive and negative results. when i seen a black provider the treatments were always better, for my skin. Recently when i had reaction to indigo and was treated by white provider, i lost more hair. My primary provider send me to black provider and her dx was for my hair dermatitis is the medicated shampoo was not for our hair, she gave me some ointment for my hair and it stop flaking, her recommentation, don't use dye that certain chemical name its long. I cowash now every week, poo once a month, dermatitis gone, hair growing. For my skin it getting better. This provider is further away but when you have skin problems all your life and feel bad you do whats makes you feel great. My cost is covered by my insurance

If you have the option try the black provider even if they are not black, if she is not getting better, second opinions is your right. Everyone can't be treated the same even with the same illness or problems. I hope you find somethng soon!

I have often wondered about this! I always feared they'd give me some treatment that would break off my hair cause they didn't understand it. I finally went for another problem and asked about what I thought was dandruff at that time. They gave me a harsh anti dandruff shampoo and I never used it. Years later I'm dandruff free- I think my scalp was damaged from relaxers. But they wouldn't have known that!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Last edited:
My derm is white and DARN Good. I had him do laser hair removal last year and we had a long talk about African American Skin. He showed me pics of previous clients and the results. He taught me quite a bit about how African Americans with my hair type (acknowledging all Blacks don't have the same hair type) and my skin type (blemishes easily) would need special care, etc, etc. After 4 sessions the result is great and I am going to get the other 4 done soon. Ultimately, you just need to ask the right questions, and look at the professionalism. My derm is so professional as is his Physician Assistant. He didn't rush and let me ask my 10 or so questions with ease and he listened to my plight....There was even a mishap with the equipment so one of my sessions was free!

Its not always about color. A professional who has worked on numerous African-Americans with skin issues would be as well versed with our needs as anyone else with experience with that population. HTH

I think for scalp issues I wouldnt care what the race of my derm was, but for skin (blemish) issues I would prefer a black derm or one who is knowlegable about black skin issues.

I live in Jamaica so most every Dr is black anyways, but my derm is noted for his work and publications regarding acne and black skin and he's not even black lol

Back