WHEN NONE OF THE HAIR BREAKAGE TREATMENT WORKS... WHAT'S NEXT?

Im curious to know exactly how much breakage you are experiencing...? I mean, is it a significant amount? And is it each and every single time you comb or manipulate your hair? If its just a few broken pieces here and there, maybe it's not really a problem....?

In my case, with my hair being so fragile/fine/soft, i have come to terms with the fact that some breakage is just going to be inevitable. Mind you, this is after experimenting similarly with different things. Knowing this now, im okay with it and dont freak out anymore over it. Maybe there are some women on the board who can get 0 strands of breakage daily, but i realize that will never be me or my hair.

Anyway, good luck, and i hope you figure it out!

I was wondering how much breakage you were getting also---like about 10 small hairs a day? ....

My hair is also really fine and fragile, no matter how healthy it is, it can break easily. But when i manipulate it too much, and when it needs more moisture, then it will break even easier. Either way i have to be really gentle with it, if i ever hear any "pop" while combing i can just know ther will be hair coming out, so i comb it really slow and easy.

So i agree with sistaslick to try moisture for a while and w/Sacera to try and manipulate it less. It looks like you have thick hair, but maybe you have fine & fragile strands but alot of them?

Have you tried Cream of nature shampoo or Organic root stimulator replenish conditoner? Those things work great for moisture for my broke behind.

Thank you for starting this thread. I am having the same issues, and have been trying to overcome them but was failing miserably. I figured out that I was using too much protein and the conditioners that I used were not moisturizing my hair like they should.

I will be going to Ulta tomorrow to pick up Kenra and Nexxus.

Thank you for the tips.

Has anyone tried Matrix Biolage Ultra Hydrating Balm? I wanted to know if this would be a good one to add to the lineup?

The ingredients are as follows:

Water/Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Cetyl Esters, Lanolin, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Cetrimonium Chloride, Tricontanyl PVP, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate-20, Shea Butter (Butyrospermum Parkii) Fruit, Algae Extract/Algae, Safe Leaf Extract/Salvia Officinalis, Pollen Extract, Saponaria Officinalis Extract/Saponaria Officinalis, Silk Amino Acids, Wheat Germ Oil/Triticum Vulgare, Lemongrass Extract/Cymbopogon Schoenanthus

I have used this and it was okay at best. I don't think the Lanolin and Tricontanyl PVP were good for me. That conditioner did not seem to rinse as well. I can tell when a conditioner has coated myhair because when I try to apply my liquid leavein, my hair does not soak it up as well and drips. I ended up selling my Ultra hydrating balm on ebay.

I have used this and it was okay at best. I don't think the Lanolin and Tricontanyl PVP were good for me. That conditioner did not seem to rinse as well. I can tell when a conditioner has coated myhair because when I try to apply my liquid leavein, my hair does not soak it up as well and drips. I ended up selling my Ultra hydrating balm on ebay.

Thanks for the review Honey Dew!

I was wondering how much breakage you were getting also---like about 10 small hairs a day? ....

My hair is also really fine and fragile, no matter how healthy it is, it can break easily. But when i manipulate it too much, and when it needs more moisture, then it will break even easier. Either way I have to be really gentle with it, if i ever hear any "pop" while combing i can just know there will be hair coming out, so i comb it really slow and easy.

So i agree with sistaslick to try moisture for a while and w/Sacera to try and manipulate it less. It looks like you have thick hair, but maybe you have fine & fragile strands but alot of them?

Have you tried Cream of nature shampoo or Organic root stimulator replenish conditioner? Those things work great for moisture for my broke behind.
==============

Thanks for all your help :heart2: :infatuated: :heart3: :heart:...

I work midnight's so I have to get on line when I come home in the mornings... So I am responding to all the ladies who have replied to this post....

Thanks,
Kankakee's too (Cute wedding picture)
The breakage happens each time I comb, so I do not comb but on wash day now... I do not comb everyday, twice a week at the most... I put it in one large french braid and leave it after roller setting... Then toward the end of the week I will finger comb it and wear it loose for two days then bun it the next day and wash the next day... I am gentle with it, I think, I even put on latex gloves:hand: to make sure nothing is snagging it...
I have some thick strands and some that are coarse some are strong and some are week, so I have a mixture of hair... The breakage strands can be about 15 plus and if I finger comb it, same amount will fall on the sink ...

I will keep those Poo's and conditioner's in mind after I use this Kenra...

Thanks Sareca,
I do have the Jib shower comb, that is the only one I use...I do have a small tooth comb I use when roller setting to smooth my hair after I have detangle with the Jib(I will stop using it) and I have started diluting my POO's, After I use the Kenra on Friday, I will just use CW for a couple weeks...

Thanks, Sweetness,
I will not be buying that Cheap junk anymore, I have enough to last me until next year this time... :nono::yep: ... I will buy only quality products for now on...

Thanks, EM Jazzy,
Yes, you are right, and hides under another name too, so does the silicone the Sisterslick mentioned, I will be off for a few days in a couple weeks and I will check into the ingredients and how they can hide under a different name...

Gorgeoushair,
I am going to send and get some samples of their products... They seem to be made of good quality ingredients...

Thanks Supergirl,

Yes, I did describe everything... I have been a member for only a couple plus years, and I know it saves a lot of time replying back and forth gathering the needed info to help someone with their hair problems.... So I tried to write all the details I could... I was wondering about the Sheamoisture, I just starting using it also in the spring... Well, needless to say it gone:flush: ... Thanks Supergirl, That was great investigation... When I get my days off, I will be investigating and seeing just what is in the products I have here... and I bet most will be in the trash... I will only use quality products from now... I will be hitting JCPenney this weekend they are having a big sale 50% off all hair products from 8 till noon on Saturday, so I will pick up the Mazani and some other good hair products... I did try the Garlic treatment and it helped with the shedding a lot... I feel better now knowing I can over come this with quality products... My poor hair is:ill:, but I am babying it and going to give it what it needs MOISTURE ,MOISTURE, MOISTURE :guiness: :drink: :coffee: :bath: :bath2:

I am glad I decided to post and I hope other ladies that are going through this will learn from this post also... Get quality products to get the job done right, I have learned my lesson...
I will be posting an update after I use these products on Friday...

Well, I have to jump in bed for work tonight :sleeping:
The Ladies on LHCF :waytogo: :urock: :worship2: :woohoo: :sweet: :thankyou: :bouncy:

Last edited:
I have to co-sign on the Mizani night time treatment. I tried it last night for the first time and I already feel a difference in my hair. I know that this is going to be a staple. I got it along with the Mizani conditioning hairdress for $14 total from JCpennys yesterday (The gift set was already 20% off plus an additional 15% w/ my coupon).

I have to co-sign on the Mizani night time treatment. I tried it last night for the first time and I already feel a difference in my hair. I know that this is going to be a staple. I got it along with the Mizani conditioning hairdress for $14 total from JCpennys yesterday (The gift set was already 20% off plus an additional 15% w/ my coupon).

=========

I will be headed there also:cowgirl::iroc::auto:

Thank you for starting this thread. I am having the same issues, and have been trying to overcome them but was failing miserably. I figured out that I was using too much protein and the conditioners that I used were not moisturizing my hair like they should.

I will be going to Ulta tomorrow to pick up Kenra and Nexxus.

Thank you for the tips.

Has anyone tried Matrix Biolage Ultra Hydrating Balm? I wanted to know if this would be a good one to add to the lineup?

The ingredients are as follows:

Water/Aqua, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Cetyl Esters, Lanolin, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Cetrimonium Chloride, Tricontanyl PVP, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate-20, Shea Butter (Butyrospermum Parkii) Fruit, Algae Extract/Algae, Safe Leaf Extract/Salvia Officinalis, Pollen Extract, Saponaria Officinalis Extract/Saponaria Officinalis, Silk Amino Acids, Wheat Germ Oil/Triticum Vulgare, Lemongrass Extract/Cymbopogon Schoenanthus

I used Matrix Biolage Ultra Hydrating Balm early in my journey. It was OK but Humectress changed my hair "life". I do really like their leave-ins(the Daily Tonic).

This thread is a life saver as I think I also use more protein and no moisture.

I am just going to get a range rather than individual products.

I use Keracare for my shampoo, Motions moisture/ors replenishing for moisture and Tresemme almond silk/trespak (protein)/ motions cpr and atone leave in.

My question would be should I get Mizani/Jocio/Redken/Aveda?

Does Aveda have a moisturizing conditioner?

LadyZ - I am glad that the women came through, they were amazing!!!

This is a good thread...very useful information. I've realized some parts of my hair a re prone to breakage if I wear the same style for too long so I have to switch it up. At the beginning I used a lot of protein. Now I don't use so much but I could always do with some more moisture.

This thread is a life saver as I think I also use more protein and no moisture.

I am just going to get a range rather than individual products.

I use Keracare for my shampoo, Motions moisture/ors replenishing for moisture and Tresemme almond silk/trespak (protein)/ motions CPR and atone leave in.

My question would be should I get Mizani/Joico/Redkin/Aveda?

Does Aveda have a moisturizing conditioner?

LadyZ - I am glad that the women came through, they were amazing!!!

=======

Your hair is very pretty...
I am glad this thread is helping us... I will receive my products on Friday and I can not wait to use them...
I don't know much about the products you mentioned... But I am thinking about buying the Joico moisture line after I use the Kenra... I think the Mazani line is well liked too... I know if you send Sisterslick a PM she can tell you, she knows a lot about salon quality products... Watch out for the Motions Moisture Plus, Sisterslick said it is full of C-O-N-E-S, That's the one I think ran me into problems.... and the ORS does have some protein in it... Let us know what you decide...

These Ladies are great... I love them soooooooooo much...

This is a good thread...very useful information. I've realized some parts of my hair a re prone to breakage if I wear the same style for too long so I have to switch it up. At the beginning I used a lot of protein. Now I don't use so much but I could always do with some more moisture.

====
Very pretty hair...
I am glad this thread is helping others also... I was reluctant to post at first, but this constant breakage was just growing out of control and I had to find out what I was doing wrong... I will use salon quality from now on and use that drug store junk as a Pre poo until it is used up and I will give a lot to my son...

God Bless This Forum and the Ladies here also...

THANK YOU

=======

Your hair is very pretty...
I am glad this thread is helping us... I will receive my products on Friday and I can not wait to use them...
I don't know much about the products you mentioned... But I am thinking about buying the Joico moisture line after I use the Kenra... I think the Mazani line is well liked too... I know if you send Sisterslick a PM she can tell you, she knows a lot about salon quality products... Watch out for the Motions Moisture Plus, Sisterslick said it is full of C-O-N-E-S, That's the one I think ran me into problems.... and the ORS does have some protein in it... Let us know what you decide...

These Ladies are great... I love them soooooooooo much...

I am literally in the same boat as you. i was using the motions conditioner also as a deep conditioner and my hair would always be dry. The moisture/protein balance is so crucial it will make or break our hair. I am going to buy the Kenra this week also. I am really glad you started this thread. I don't what i would do without this forum.

I am literally in the same boat as you. i was using the motions conditioner also as a deep conditioner and my hair would always be dry. The moisture/protein balance is so crucial it will make or break our hair. I am going to buy the Kenra this week also. I am really glad you started this thread. I don't what i would do without this forum.
====

I thought I was in love with Motion's, my hair would feel so great after using it... I did not know it was slowing killing my hair:wallbash:... I will never use that junk again... I was also using a shampoo(SheaMoisture which contained the bad sulfate and did not know it, the shea butter ingredient threw me off and had me thinking this stuff was good:nono:... I will be studying ingredients from now on... Live and learn:look:...
I hope this Kenra will give our hair what it needs and I m sure it will... Please keep me posted on how it is going...

:yep:I want to add you to my freind list

====

I thought I was in love with Motion's, my hair would feel so great after using it... I did not know it was slowing killing my hair:wallbash:... I will never use that junk again... I was also using a shampoo(SheaMoisture which contained the bad sulfate and did not know it, the shea butter ingredient threw me off and had me thinking this stuff was good:nono:... I will be studying ingredients from now on... Live and learn:look:...
I hope this Kenra will give our hair what it needs and I m sure it will... Please keep me posted on how it is going...

me too! After about a month of using it I realized it was just sitting on my hair and not moisturizing it at all. Threw that crap out!

====

yay, I have a new friend :)

Yeah that motions gives really good slip but not enough moisture. I'll definitely keep you posted on the kenra. sistaslick said it takes some weeks to improve the moisture balance so I am going to give it a couple of tries before i give my final verdict.

I haven't read all the replies but I agree w/ the professional products. Depending on what you relaxed your hair w/ makes a difference. Our hair needs keratin and ceramides. So I recommend Kenra, Mizani, or Redken hair products. They helped me and my friends. And since you have a good regimen these should help. And I also wanted to ask how to do dry your hair. If its w/ a hooded dryer. I know air-drying helps some people but it causes breakage in mine no matter what products I've put in it.

GREAT THREAD!!

I think I'm going to purchase the Kenra conditioner.

Can anyone help me find a good moisturizer. I'm thinking of the Rose H20.
I've tried Organic Olive Oil, NTM, Cantu breakcure (caused my hair to dry up)and B&B Castor Oil.
So far I like the Castor Oil one but it is kinda heavy on my fine hair.
Does anyone have any other suggestions.

Lady, have you tried salon quality products? Some people on this board SWEAR that cheapie products does wonnders for their hair and i take their word for it. but they do nothing for mines. Salon quality works very well such as Nexxus, keracare, and kenra are wonderful and the Holy Grail is Aveda. Aveda Deep conditioner immediately stopped my breakage after one use> And since your regimen sounds good i would assume that your protein deep conditioner isnt working for you> try aveda>

Lady, have you tried salon quality products? Some people on this board SWEAR that cheapie products does wonnders for their hair and i take their word for it. but they do nothing for mines. Salon quality works very well such as Nexxus, keracare, and kenra are wonderful and the Holy Grail is Aveda. Aveda Deep conditioner immediately stopped my breakage after one use> And since your regimen sounds good i would assume that your protein deep conditioner isnt working for you> try aveda>
Use any product that will send you to the delivery room:look:

Tell that chile to get outta there!

GREAT THREAD!!

I've tried Organic Olive Oil, NTM, Cantu breakcure (caused my hair to dry up)and B&B Castor Oil.

That has ALOT of mineral oil....it doesn't do a thang for me.

Try BB castor oil lotion or growth lotion, the castor oil one comes in a white and pink bottle. The growth lotion is a yellow bottle. You can find them both at sallys.

Also, look into ORS olive oil cream in the jar.
Profectiv and Elasta qp both have nice moisture lotions.

I have fine hair and I use castor oil. I put a dime sized amount and massage it in root to tip. I do this every three days.

Oh decisions, decisions.... I was set to take up the Jocio now I am not sure - Aveda is calling.

That has ALOT of mineral oil....it doesn't do a thang for me.

Try BB castor oil lotion or growth lotion, the castor oil one comes in a white and pink bottle. The growth lotion is a yellow bottle. You can find them both at sallys.

Also, look into ORS olive oil cream in the jar.
Profectiv and Elasta qp both have nice moisture lotions.

I have fine hair and I use castor oil. I put a dime sized amount and massage it in root to tip. I do this every three days.

Thanks Gym,
I will try to use a smaller amt of the BB-Castor Oil since it is the only one that has provided me good moisture so far.
I need to find the one in the yellow bottle too.

GREAT THREAD!!

If you're referring to the Rose H20 Night Treatment, it is NOT a moisturizer. It is more of an anti-breakage treatment.

==============

Thanks for all your help :heart2: :infatuated: :heart3: :heart:...

I work midnight's so I have to get on line when I come home in the mornings... So I am responding to all the ladies who have replied to this post....

Thanks,
Kankakee's too (Cute wedding picture)
The breakage happens each time I comb, so I do not comb but on wash day now... I do not comb everyday, twice a week at the most... I put it in one large french braid and leave it after roller setting... Then toward the end of the week I will finger comb it and wear it loose for two days then bun it the next day and wash the next day... I am gentle with it, I think, I even put on latex gloves:hand: to make sure nothing is snagging it...
I have some thick strands and some that are coarse some are strong and some are week, so I have a mixture of hair... The breakage strands can be about 15 plus and if I finger comb it, same amount will fall on the sink ...

I will keep those Poo's and conditioner's in mind after I use this Kenra...

Thanks Sareca,
I do have the Jib shower comb, that is the only one I use...I do have a small tooth comb I use when roller setting to smooth my hair after I have detangle with the Jib(I will stop using it) and I have started diluting my POO's, After I use the Kenra on Friday, I will just use CW for a couple weeks...

Thanks, Sweetness,
I will not be buying that Cheap junk anymore, I have enough to last me until next year this time... :nono::yep: ... I will buy only quality products for now on...

Thanks, EM Jazzy,
Yes, you are right, and hides under another name too, so does the silicone the Sisterslick mentioned, I will be off for a few days in a couple weeks and I will check into the ingredients and how they can hide under a different name...

Gorgeoushair,
I am going to send and get some samples of their products... They seem to be made of good quality ingredients...

Thanks Supergirl,

Yes, I did describe everything... I have been a member for only a couple plus years, and I know it saves a lot of time replying back and forth gathering the needed info to help someone with their hair problems.... So I tried to write all the details I could... I was wondering about the Sheamoisture, I just starting using it also in the spring... Well, needless to say it gone:flush: ... Thanks Supergirl, That was great investigation... When I get my days off, I will be investigating and seeing just what is in the products I have here... and I bet most will be in the trash... I will only use quality products from now... I will be hitting JCPenney this weekend they are having a big sale 50% off all hair products from 8 till noon on Saturday, so I will pick up the Mazani and some other good hair products... I did try the Garlic treatment and it helped with the shedding a lot... I feel better now knowing I can over come this with quality products... My poor hair is:ill:, but I am babying it and going to give it what it needs MOISTURE ,MOISTURE, MOISTURE :guiness: :drink: :coffee: :bath: :bath2:

I am glad I decided to post and I hope other ladies that are going through this will learn from this post also... Get quality products to get the job done right, I have learned my lesson...
I will be posting an update after I use these products on Friday...

Well, I have to jump in bed for work tonight :sleeping:
The Ladies on LHCF :waytogo: :urock: :worship2: :woohoo: :sweet: :thankyou: :bouncy:
It all depends on what is breakage to you. Are you aware that you are suppose to shed between 88 to 100 hairs a day? 15 is very good. You do not need to worry about 15 hairs. If your hair thined out then I would be concerned but shedding while manipulation is normal. Now having a bathroom floor full of hair every day, now thats breakage. Just keep taking good care of it, moisturize and do you occasional protein it will be fine. Sometimes hair just need to be left alone, not looked at and inspected every second of the day. Keep you hands out of it.

Last edited:
Back