Does ORS creamy aloe clarify/chelate?

Do you classify ORS as a clarifying/chelating poo?

• Total voters

shtow

This is one of my fav poos. I know this topic has been disputed but I want an answer! Please vote and explain your choice:grin:

I know it neutralizes. People say it clarify/chelates. Personally, I don't think it does. I don't think it's strong enough. I think clarifiers/chelators tend to have stronger ingredients like tetrasodium edta instead of the disodium edta. Again, I'm saying usually, not always, lol. However, the creamy aloe dries my hair out. Some people use it as a moisturuzing poo which is really nuts to me :lol:. I use it when I relax my hair but I always have to follow it up with a more moisturizing poo.

I said all of that to say, I don't think it is. Even the bottle says "with regular use...." etc. I take that to mean that it won't remove the build-up right away, but over time it will. Unlike a clarifying, chelating poo which would do it immediately.

I know it neutralizes. People say it clarify/chelates. Personally, I don't think it does. I don't think it's strong enough. I think clarifiers/chelators tend to have stronger ingredients like tetrasodium edta instead of the disodium edta. Again, I'm saying usually, not always, lol. However, the creamy aloe dries my hair out. Some people use it as a moisturuzing poo which is really nuts to me :lol:. I use it when I relax my hair but I always have to follow it up with a more moisturizing poo.

I said all of that to say, I don't think it is. Even the bottle says "with regular use...." etc. I take that to mean that it won't remove the build-up right away, but over time it will. Unlike a clarifying, chelating poo which would do it immediately.

What is the big difference between disodium edta and tetrasodium edta? They both chelate.

I do find that it chelates and clarifies, but because of the formula, it doesn't strip your hair to the bone. ALS is the 4th and 5th ingredient. I believe that's a good thing.

If you need your hair to be dry/squeaky clean after washing to feel that you have clarified your hair, this may not be the best shampoo for you. Although it can/has left my hair a little dry, it's nothing like other clarifying shampoos which leave your hair tangled and overly stripped.

Then again, I really don't think you need a special shampoo to clarify your hair. Almost any shampoo that is sls or als based will deep clean your hair, which is part of the reason we tend to stay away from sulfates.

Ingredients: Water Aqua , Cocamidopropyldimethylamine Propionate , Trideceth-7 Carboxylic Acid , PPG-5-Ceteth-10 Phosphate , Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate , Ammonium Laureth Sulfate , Lauramide Glucoside , Lauryl Glucoside , Polyquaternium-10 , Cocoglucoside , Glyceryl Oleate , Disodiium EDTA , Olive Oil Olea Europaea , Cetrimonium Carboxydecyl , PEG-8 Dimethicone , Cetrimonium Chloride , Sulfated Castor Oil , Lecithin , Propylene Glycol , PEG-12 Oleate , Silicone Quaternium-2 , Panthenol Succinate , Fragrance Parfum , Aloe Barbadensis Gel , Glyceryl Polymethacrylate , Propylene Glycol , Polyquaternium-7 , Cocamide MEA , Glycol Distearate , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Triethanolamine , DMDM Hydantoin , Methylparaben , Propylene Glycol , Propyl Paraben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Green No. 3 Cl 42053 , Yellow No. 5 Cl 19140

Last edited:
I think it depends on who is using it and what other products and hair care environment she's got going on.

For me, it is a chelator, but not a clarifier.

Edited to add:

When I REALLY need to clarify, I cannot use a shampoo that has oil and silicone in it.

I use it to chelate and it works just fine. I actually don't like other clarifiers because they leave my hair TOO stripped. This one leaves my scalp feeling lovely but I stil f/u w/a moisturizing poo.

When I was looking for a chelating shampoo, this was recommended by several members. I don't know exactly what makes a chelating shampoo, but by the recommendations I believe it is.

I use it to chelate and it works just fine. I actually don't like other clarifiers because they leave my hair TOO stripped. This one leaves my scalp feeling lovely but I stil f/u w/a moisturizing poo.

Eisani...you Haitian (checking out your avy)?

For me it does. I have hard water and I use alot of cones in my hair, and I have found that using this shampoo as directed (lather once then second lather leave on for 2-3 min) leaves my hair noticably softer, smoother and conditioner penetrates much better.

I don't think it is as strong as other brands but this is good because my water is so hard I need to chelate every wash. This is my one and only shampoo.

I use this shampoo for all my washes. I wash my hair every 2 weeks and, my hair is relaxed.

I've noticed that my hair feels really 'clean' afterwards.
Should I use a shampoo that provides more moisture?

I use this shampoo for all my washes. I wash my hair every 2 weeks and, my hair is relaxed.

I've noticed that my hair feels really 'clean' afterwards.
Should I use a shampoo that provides more moisture?

Just follow up with a ver moisturizing conditioner. :yep:

What is the big difference between disodium edta and tetrasodium edta? They both chelate.

Not sure but I read this before and if you look at the ingredients of many clarifying poos, there's a presence of tetrasodium EDTA.

Nexxus Aloe Rid, Suave Daily Clarifying poo, Aveda Detoxifier, Bumble and Bumble Clarifying, and Pantene Pro-V clarifying shampoo all have Tetrasodium EDTA. But there are a few that have disodium too. *shrugs*

In the past, I tried to google a comparison of the two, and the only info I could find is that the level of Edta that's used, depends on the product's ph. Idk.

More importantly though, w/ regard to OP's question, I found something interesting, and to me it makes sense:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2009/03/02/how-do-clarifying-shampoos-work/

Clarifier can’t condition

In addition to choosing the correct type of cleansing ingredients it’s very important to choose a clarifying shampoo that doesn’t contain any conditioning agents. You want to make sure that you’re removing gunk from your hair, not depositing more stuff. So avoid any “”cones” like dimethicone, cyclomethicone, or amodimethicone and any conditioning polymers like guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride and Polyquaternium 7 and 10.

Polyquaternium 7 AND 10 are both listed in the ORS creamy aloe formula ingredients up there. (Not to mention the Olive Oil, cones, and Castor Oil).

_________

I suspect that's why the Creamy Aloe label says "with regular use may help..." etc. It doesn't appear to be a one shot deal like regular clarifying poos. I suspect with the ORS it happens over time w/continued use, as the label states. Unless the label on the bottle is also incorrect. Again, Idk.

ETA: I just realized how old this bumped thread was lol. Oh well, maybe the info can be of use to someone.

Last edited:
Not sure but I read this before and if you look at the ingredients of many clarifying poos, there's a presence of tetrasodium EDTA.

Nexxus Aloe Rid, Suave Daily Clarifying poo, Aveda Detoxifier, Bumble and Bumble Clarifying, and Pantene Pro-V clarifying shampoo all have Tetrasodium EDTA. But there are a few that have disodium too. *shrugs*

In the past, I tried to google a comparison of the two, and the only info I could find is that the level of Edta that's used, depends on the product's ph. Idk.

More importantly though, w/ regard to OP's question, I found something interesting, and to me it makes sense:

http://thebeautybrains.com/2009/03/02/how-do-clarifying-shampoos-work/

Clarifier can’t condition

In addition to choosing the correct type of cleansing ingredients it’s very important to choose a clarifying shampoo that doesn’t contain any conditioning agents. You want to make sure that you’re removing gunk from your hair, not depositing more stuff. So avoid any “”cones” like dimethicone, cyclomethicone, or amodimethicone and any conditioning polymers like guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride and Polyquaternium 7 and 10.

Polyquaternium 7 AND 10 is listed in the ORS creamy aloe formula ingredients up there.

_________

I suspect that's why the Creamy Aloe label says "with regular use may help..." etc. It doesn't appear to be a one shot deal like regular clarifying poos. I suspect with the ORS it happens over time w/continued use, as the label states. Unless the label on the bottle is also incorrect. Again, Idk.

ETA: I just realized how old this bumped thread was lol. Oh well, maybe the info can be of use to someone.

It is useful, as I was using the ORS to clarify. Thanks :)

Would you qualify ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner as a moisturizing conditioner?
(It makes my hair soft)
No, ORS Replenishing is a lite protein conditioner. It definitely has protein in it so I wouldn't consider it a moisturizing conditioner.

If I were at home I'd go grab my bottle I still have around from the relaxer days. I believe it actually says chelating on the bottle.

Would you qualify ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner as a moisturizing conditioner?
(It makes my hair soft)

That's my fave moisturizing DC. It contains very light protein but not enough to make it a protein treatment or anything. I even use ORS Replenishing as moisture DC following a Nexxus Emergencee treatment...as do some others on LHCF. It's very moisturizing.

Thanks guys. Could you reccomend a moisturizing conditioner to me?
I should probably sitch my shampoo and conditioner up when they are finished.
I guess they aren't what I thought they were.

Thanks guys. Could you reccomend a moisturizing conditioner to me?
I should probably sitch my shampoo and conditioner up when they are finished.
I guess they aren't what I thought they were.

Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner

Joico K-Pak Intense Hydrator Conditioner
Joico Moisture Recovery Conditioner

Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner
Aubrey Organics White camellia Conditioner

Jason Naturals Jojoba Conditioner
Jason Naturals Sea Kelp Conditoner
Jason Naturals Apricot Conditioner

Nature's Gate Hemp Nourishing Conditioner

Mizani Moisturfuse Conditoner
Mizani Thermasmooth Conditioner

Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner

I love this shampoo because it does exactly what it says it does. It is creamy, yet it clarifies the hair. It does not strip it completely like a purely clarifying shampoo would, but it does it just right for my hair. And the price is reasonable.

To me, ORS Creamy Aloe shampoo is in its own weird category. It removes calcium build-up (the level of calcium in water determines its softness or hardness). And when calcium builds up on the strands it block moisture from properly reaching hair strands.

But it doesn't chelate (binding with minerals, including iron). And it doesn't clarify per se (removing all different kinds of product buildup).

But nonetheless, it is excellent at what it does do and I use it at almost every shampoo. :yep:

Back