Does Jet Black hair look good on anyone???

ttlayli

I know that's a dumb question, but I'm serious!!! :lachen:

I want...no I NEED a change. Badly. My hair is naturally dark brown (looks dark but in the sun, looks coppery) and I have a couple of reddish/copper highlights added like a year ago. I have always loved the look of dark hair though....and to be honest, after I saw the pic of Cassie in the entertainment thread I was hooked again! :love3: Her hair just looked so dark, healthy, shiny!!!! GAWSH I LUVED IT!!!! :spinning: So I thought "hmmmm...maybe I should try dark hair???" BUT....I don't know if it would look good on me. I am darker than Cassie but everyone acts like I'm lighter than everyone else. I have been told by a makeup artist that I have "olive skin" (um, whatever that means lol) Um....I don't know how to describe it though...I guess I have more yellow undertones than tan if that makes sense....I just dont want to buy the colorshower (from jennifermd of course!) and then I looked washed out! :rolleyes:

I think like certain clothes flatter certain people, certain hair colors also highlight certain skin tones. However, I know women of all skin tones who have very black hair and it works great for them. My hair is naturally very black and I love the color. My mothers hair is also extremely dark black. I just wanted to add, I love the color of you hair now. Lovely!

I think like certain clothes flatter certain people, certain hair colors also highlight certain skin tones. However, I know women of all skin tones who have very black hair and it works great for them. My hair is naturally very black and I love the color. My mothers hair is also extremely dark black. I just wanted to add, I love the color of you hair now. Lovely!

Your so right! That's why I'm nervous about such a dark color...you know how some look good with blond, while others look good with brown??? I don't want to put that black on my hair, and then realize I don't look good with it! :lachen: And thanks for the compliment btw....but I honestly hate it now!! :lachen: Maybe because Im soooo used to it now! :rolleyes:

Yeah I love Black hair for some reason too!!!!
It looks So shiney and Gorgeous!!!
My Sister naturally has midnight black hair and im kinda jealous:look:

try it you probably wont look washed out because you'll still have your summer bronze.

im waiting till fall and then i want to do a black gloss.

I love black hair!!! Luv it!!

But on me I don't like "flat" black hair, I need a few peeks of color.

I'm moving to TX next month and right now my hair is med brown w/highlights, and those chicas down there had me wanting some black hair. So I came home and put a dark brown rinse in my hair. I do like the rinse over the perm color because some of my highlights shine thru.

My hair looks jet black to the point where people ask me if I colour it to look that way (including my stylist and she's the only person that puts chemicals anywhere near my head). I love it and would never change it. I think the best way for you to see how you'd look with jet black hair before you take the plunge is to find a jet black wig and try it on. Make sure it looks natural and like your own hair and go from there. Make a decision. No sense colouring your hair if you are not sure how it would turn out.

I love jet black hair too, but I understand your hesitation because it does NOT look good on everyone. I remember a friend of mine dyed her medium brown hair black, and she ended up looking like Elvira. YIKES!!

If you want to be certain that it will look great with your complexion, why don't you go to a Beauty Supply store and try on a dark black wig? You don't have to buy it, but at least you'll get an idea for how it'll look.

I love jet black hair too, but I understand your hesitation because it does NOT look good on everyone. I remember a friend of mine dyed her medium brown hair black, and she ended up looking like Elvira. YIKES!!

If you want to be certain that it will look great with your complexion, why don't you go to a Beauty Supply store and try on a dark black wig? You don't have to buy it, but at least you'll get an idea for how it'll look.[/quote]

I was going to suggest this as well. I too think jet black hair is gorgeous, I just know it's not for me. I wore a wig once and got it out of my system :yep:

I don't think that everyone looks good with jet black or blue black hair. I love it and used to color my hair on a fairly regular basis. From your description, I think that we have very similar hair colors and possibly skin tones. My skin has a very yellowy base and because of this I have trouble buying foundation.

Ultimately I don't worry about whether other people like it.

yeah i agree with the wig suggestion. I think black hair is GORGEOUS. I think "Callie" off grey's anatomy has hot hair so i was thinking I was going to grow my hair about 4 more inches and get it cut and colored like her. I got a black rinse and I dont know if its because im so light but i looked a hot mess. Like i looked all gothic because the black really washed me out. so how it looks depends on each person.

I think it looks exotic. I'm planning to start some henna and indigo treatments to try and get a purple/black color. Like...so black when it shines its purple/blue

I love how shiny it looks, just not on me.

I tried it couple of times with Hennalucent and my mom absolutely hated it. I'm medium brown with red undertones. Looking back, I can admit that it wasn't the most flattering. I need to keep my color in the warmer end of the spectrum. So I'd probably go for a deep chocolate instead of blue black.

On the other hand, jet black hair looks great on my mother and sister. They are a shade darker and lighter than me respectively.

Last edited:
I keep mine jet black tried a lighter brown hated it and went back jet black i gotta have dramatic color :yep:

It sure can. :yep: Cassie and Kimora look nice with jet black hair. I think that it makes the hair appear very vibrant and healthy, especially if the ends are nice and full to begin with.

I guess it would depend on your skin tone. Jet black hair looks great on me. :grin: I dont like it when it turns back to its natural reddish brown color.:nono:

I love jet black hair. I usually rinse my hair black, but it's back to it's natural color and looking blah now.

I think dark hair is sexy. I have always had brown, copper, or gold tones in my hair and the last few year I have been wearing it black. At first I went super black everyone was like too gothic on me,:nono:. Nobody liked it. then I lighten the black to like a number 2. But I think as long as you find a shade of black what works for you. You will look fabulous. Personally I feel like black hair looks healthier.

I love Jet Black hair but be careful... I used Natural Instincts Midnight on my hair (their jet black) it was supposed to come out in 28 washes and 8 months later... I am trying to lift it out but that isnt working either... (sigh)

I advise you use bigen or a colorshower/cellophane if you do decide to go jet black cause if you decide to change again i dont want you to have the same headache i do right now:wallbash:

I have a friend that colors her hair jet black. It looks nice and healthy but on me I think it would look fake.

woaw ihave got the same problem just can't take a decision about color my hair in black or not !
Very difficult issue, cause once you 've done it you can not get rid of it easily !
just a question for the "black hair ladies " when you wash your hair right after coloring it in black(i mean a week after) is your hair as shiny as the first day or is it black/grey ?

I don't think jet black and blue black look good on everyone. It can wash you out or look really fake depending on your skin tone. I think a natural black looks great on just about any one but when you start changing the undertones, the whole thing looks different. IMO, the only people jet black looks good on are the ones whos natural hair coloring was already close to it.

try the "darkest brown" instead of black. i love black hair but it makes my skin look so washed out. so now i use the darkest brown and it makes my hair so shiny and it looks black :yep:

I don't know your skin tone but I am on the lighter side with gold undertones and I always do black (my natural hair is dark brown too). I get a lot of compliments when it is dark like that. Right now I have sworn off rinses for awhile until this Natural Instincts mess grows out a lot. It really dried my air out. I think your hair would look fab. black but I'm partial to it anyway.:yep:

I love jet black hair on myself. I do think it's a color that looks good on many, but it does wash some people out a bit. Just like dark brown hair looks really good on some people.

I think jet black looks well on most ethnic women. If you're really light, then I wouldn't suggest it.

It looks nice on me.:yep:

Back