Does Jet Black hair look good on anyone???

I know that's a dumb question, but I'm serious!!! :lachen:

I want...no I NEED a change. Badly. My hair is naturally dark brown (looks dark but in the sun, looks coppery) and I have a couple of reddish/copper highlights added like a year ago. I have always loved the look of dark hair though....and to be honest, after I saw the pic of Cassie in the entertainment thread I was hooked again! :love3: Her hair just looked so dark, healthy, shiny!!!! GAWSH I LUVED IT!!!! :spinning: So I thought "hmmmm...maybe I should try dark hair???" BUT....I don't know if it would look good on me. I am darker than Cassie but everyone acts like I'm lighter than everyone else. I have been told by a makeup artist that I have "olive skin" (um, whatever that means lol) Um....I don't know how to describe it though...I guess I have more yellow undertones than tan if that makes sense....I just dont want to buy the colorshower (from jennifermd of course!) and then I looked washed out! :rolleyes:

This describes me as well and funny you should say that you have dark brown hair which is exactly the color of my natural hair as well and looks the same in the sun as yours. I like you needed that change a long time ago and started putting black rinses in my hair and everyone says it looks great on me. I never regretted it and never went brown again since.

Now when I start to age some more, I might stop using the black rinse and allow my natural hair color to come back in and try to find a rinse the same color of my hair then. But for now, black it is for me:yep:.

Hey thanks for all the responses ladies! :grin: Yeah I am super-dooper excited about this black rinse! And just to clarify, I wasn't going to dye my hair, I was just going to do a rinse or rather a color shower. I think I will just take the plunge and try it. :drunk: I mean, shoot I have earned it; my hair isn't waist yet or close to it (and I've been on this friggin board for almost a yr now! grrrrr :wallbash:, I can't find ANY stylist in LALA land who can cut some fierce bangs in my hair...think Meagan Good...and I'm bored outta my mind!!! :lachen:)

How long do the colorshowers last anyways??

Considering most of the world's women have jet black hair, I'd say YES.

I'm knocking on the biege door and the blacker my hair is the BETTER. It's naturally jet black, but will bleach to strawberry blonde in a HEARTBEAT.

I'm not joking. Fall/winter/spring = inky black hair. Summer = Elmo. :nono:

I love Black hair! I went to college in DC and everyone in DC seems to dye their hair Blue/Black, so I tried it and was sooo shocked that it didn't look right. :nono: I know my hair looks black in my avi, but in real life its dark, dark brown. I'm brown skinned, so I was very surprised that it was too harsh on me. I've since realized that it depends more on your undertones than your skin color.

Someone mentioned going and trying on jet black wigs. I would definitely recommend this.

Considering most of the world's women have jet black hair, I'd say YES.

I'm knocking on the biege door and the blacker my hair is the BETTER. It's naturally jet black, but will bleach to strawberry blonde in a HEARTBEAT.

I'm not joking. Fall/winter/spring = inky black hair. Summer = Elmo. :nono:

I've noticed this as well. Or atleast hair that gives the appearance of black hair.

Hey thanks for all the responses ladies! :grin: Yeah I am super-dooper excited about this black rinse! And just to clarify, I wasn't going to dye my hair, I was just going to do a rinse or rather a color shower. I think I will just take the plunge and try it. :drunk: I mean, shoot I have earned it; my hair isn't waist yet or close to it (and I've been on this friggin board for almost a yr now! grrrrr :wallbash:, I can't find ANY stylist in LALA land who can cut some fierce bangs in my hair...think Meagan Good...and I'm bored outta my mind!!! :lachen:)

How long do the colorshowers last anyways??

This will depend on how often you wash/co-wash your hair. When I use a rinse, I noticed that I have to re-do it once a month at least because I wash/co-wash my hair about 3 times a week total. I color rinse my hair myself. I always start with the roots first then I do my ends, I find it to be less messy this way.

And guess what?? I was just trying it out on Sunday to save time - what I did was put DC on dry hair then applied my rinse with the DC still on my hair, covered with a plastic cap, left it on for an hour without heat, then proceed to wash as normal and guess what, my hair still turned out GREAT. I mean it it totally black. I used the Beautiful Collection brand that has no ammonia and no peroxide in it and it does not require heat to color. Loved it.

OP, I know what you mean...I have a funny skin color...straight up just yellow... finding a matching make-up color is a bi-otch..:ohwell:

But whenever I want to go dark, I usually get a dark brown rinse, and that gives the same effect as black...if that makes any sense:rolleyes:

I remember a few years back I went dark brown, and everyone asked me if I was going goth (now they say emo...lol) so ummm yeah...no black for me...I just cant do it with my skin tone....

I LOVE black hair. It is sexy and sultry, and healthy looking. However, your hair color also looks soooo good on you.:grin:

I love Black hair! I went to college in DC and everyone in DC seems to dye their hair Blue/Black, so I tried it and was sooo shocked that it didn't look right. :nono: I know my hair looks black in my avi, but in real life its dark, dark brown. I'm brown skinned, so I was very surprised that it was too harsh on me. I've since realized that it depends more on your undertones than your skin color.

Someone mentioned going and trying on jet black wigs. I would definitely recommend this.
OMG, I have seen girls browner than me who looked bad with black hair. I was shocked.:perplexed I then realized black is not for everyone. I always have worn black, and I stopped assuming because I was lighter(skin wise) I could go lighter in my hair. Ummmm no, every lighter shade I tried looked bad. So I have stuck with black.:ohwell:

Jet black hair looks good on me. Blue/black looks even better. I got some kind of dark auburn on my hair once (my stylist did it and she's a colorist/expert) and I didn't like it. In a word, I looked dusty.

I'm a mocha/caramel complexion with yellow/red/gold undertones (more red/gold in summer; yellow/gold in winter)....

I colored my hair with what was supposed to be a blue/black (L'oreal Color Shines, I believe). The black was deep and pretty but where was the blue?:look:

So those colorshowers...are they just Black or Blue/Black...what's really the difference?? Which looks better??? :perplexed

I personally love jet black hair. I think it looks good on a multitude of complexions, from very fair to very dark skin. I've seen fair-skinned women with pitch black hair and green eyes and that mess looks fierce, in my opinion. And just at work the other day I saw a pretty woman with very dark skin who had long, raven-black hair and I thought it looked awesome on her. I feel that there is a way for any and everyone to rock any hair color. It's all about finding the right shade and the right style to wear your hair in so that it adds to your style and reflects your personality.

It's funny that I read this post because I just pulled my blank rinse out so I can do it tomorrow. I am dark skinned with yellow undertones and for me this is the only color I really like. Pre relaxer my hair was jet black but its not a brownish color. I like the way it looks when its jet black. However on some people it may not work. I rather see the black vs the hideous colors I saw on some people today:pullhair:

looks good on me. just rinsed my hair black on saturday and the next time i flat iron im going to do it again. its the first time i had black hair in years, i got tired of the dirty brown look.

Jet black hair does not look good on everyone! I tried it once and it made me look so pale!:perplexed :nono: I hated it and took it out as soon as I got home! Brown hair matches better with my skintone which it sounds like we may be close.

IMO if you want to try black hair just do a rinse, it will wear off anyway... That way you can say you tried it.:yep:
Or maybe a weave...:rolleyes:

Although, I love jet black hair it doesn't compliment my skin tone. So I'm one of those that can't rock jet black hair:ohwell:. But for those that can, it's quite stunning!

I just used indigo this weekend to dye my hair jet black and I love, love it. My DH is away he didn't think that I would look good with jet black hair so I will have to wait and see how he likes it.

ive been thinking about going black too for a while now actually im planning on getting a haircut and a fierce colour to go with it, i had a black wig (colour number 1b) and it looked alright (i guess..i cant exactly remeber and i lost the wig when i moved as well :ohwell:) but im not sure if darker would work

I've always had Black hair and would still add a Blue Black rinse to it. Black hair looks very very good on me.

Do the henna and indigo girl!

Back