Does Having Afro-Textured Hair Make You Feel Alluring/Exotic/Striking?

SimplyLive

Given the unique qualities of textured hair in comparison to the global norm of straighter hair textures, does it ever make you feel exotic (in the good sense)?

Or is it "whatever"?

Yes lol. My hair is awesome. I love it, even when I hate it. Because I don't know anyone else with hair like mine that isn't loc'd, I do tend to feel like I have something different going on. Most of the ppl don't understand why I would "bother" with my hair in its natural state

It makes me feel exotic where I am currently living. It gets quite a bit of attention if I wear it out. Personally, I think it really suits me and complements my features so I feel striking with it.

I get alot of compliments from men when I wear my hair in a more natural texture like a braid or twist out, they say I look more exotic because of the fullness and waves. Personally I prefer my hair poker straight, that's why I relax and flat iron.

I LUV MY HAIR! Do I feel exotic because of it? No. I tend to feel exotic because in the town in which I live, out of approx. 57,000 people, there are 4 black people that I know of and one is my mother. The other two? An older retired couple, and I haven't seen them in months so I don't even know if they're still here.

Maybe striking when I don't bother with it too much (braid out or afro).

I do feel exotic when I wear it kinky-straight, because it's longer than most peoples' in my area (predominantly black) and they tend to make comments or ask to touch it.

No. Even though people (black and white) comment that they like my hair and want to touch my hair, I don't feel strikingly unusual or foreign because of my hair.

Last edited:
Huh. Actually, kinda, yeah. I was at a liquor store this summer (don't laugh). My hair was in a short tapered cut, wng, cute little dress, red lippie. Some random hood dude (youngish and kinda fine) was just staring like wow and yes. :lachen: I'm 30+, I was amused.

What I'm finding is that, where I am, an area saturated with naturals of a certain class vs weaved up of all classes, since I don't come across as crunchy/ boho/ Solange- like, I present a conundrum. That's interesting and kinda 'striking/ alluring/ exotic', no?

When I was natural yes... I got compliments all the time. And YT was the one who felt like I was exotic, alluring, and all that. But then again, I guess they've always felt that way huh????..hehehehehe

I have to admit. Now that I'm natural, I feel more unique and more bold. Just free to be me. I wouldn't necessarily say exotic. I've seen so many other naturals out here with me in NY. I have a new found confidence. Like, I don't need bone straight hair to be pretty haha. I strut around like I'm a freakin' fashion model especially when I'm rocking a new twist out..yes :yep:

I get the creepy "exotic" feel from non blacks who never seen long natural hair before, that's it. My natural hair makes me stand out in my city. The majority of black women where I live are in weaves or relaxed. I only know of one who wears her natural hair consistently. I only get compliments from white women and black men. When I lived on the east coast, I got a ton of compliments from black women. Sometimes I feel like the odd one out, but I adore my coils too much to change a thing!

Maybe striking when I don't bother with it too much (braid out or afro).

I do feel exotic when I wear it kinky-straight, because it's longer than most peoples' in my area (predominantly black) and they tend to make comments or ask to touch it.
@Colocha, Go ahead you beautiful Bahama Pretty Mama:yep:

Back