Does anyone use LOIS any more?

Amarech

I think it's better than Andre's 1,2,3,4 grading system. I also think it makes our hair easier to describe.

LOIS: each letter describes the overall shape of your natural hair (regardless of type)

L = L shaped, with bends and angles

O = Exactly like the letter. I've seen hair like this and it is so beautiful.

I = This would be Andre's type 1 or straight hair.

S= Just like the letter. And it can include Andre's type 2 wavys. I think of mine in terms of lower and upper case.

The hair on my crown is S and then I've got O's around the middle of my head. I've got small (or lower case) S on my hair line, nape and every where else.

I like defining my hair this way. What do you think?

I think I'm OS too. I find this typing system is very general....but it is better than andre walker, because I dont even know what I am with his. Every time I look at someone's fotki, my hair type changes from 3c to 4a.

I especially like these definitions from the web site:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thready - Hair as a low sheen, with high shine if the hair is held taut (as in a braid), with low frizz. Wets easily but water dries out quickly. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wiry - Hair has a sparkly sheen, with low shine and low frizz. Water beads up or bounces off the hair strands. Hair never seems to get fully wet.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cottony - Hair has a low sheen, a high shine if the hair is held taunt and has high frizz. Absorbs water quickly but does not get thoroughly wet very fast.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Spongy - Hair has a high sheen with low shine with a compacted looking frizz. Absorbs water before it gets thoroughly wet.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Silky - Hair has low sheen, a very high shine, with a lot or low frizz. Easily wets in water.[/FONT]

Those are actually the most important IMO when we decide what products to use, because of how our hair reacts to watery versus oily products. I have seen silky 4a and 3c for instance.

My hair is a combo of silky and thready I think.

Last edited:
Thready - Hair as a low sheen, with high shine if the hair is held taut (as in a braid), with low frizz. Wets easily but water dries out quickly.
Wiry - Hair has a sparkly sheen, with low shine and low frizz. Water beads up or bounces off the hair strands. Hair never seems to get fully wet.
Cottony - Hair has a low sheen, a high shine if the hair is held taunt and has high frizz. Absorbs water quickly but does not get thoroughly wet very fast.
Spongy - Hair has a high sheen with low shine with a compacted looking frizz. Absorbs water before it gets thoroughly wet.
Silky - Hair has low sheen, a very high shine, with a lot or low frizz. Easily wets in water.

Those are actually the most important IMO when we decide what products to use, because of how our hair reacts to watery versus oily products. I have seen silky 4a and 3c for instance.

My hair is a combo of silky and thready I think.

Thanks so much for posting this!!! I totally forgot about this part too.

Forget andre and his 3 a b c d e f whatever!:grin:

Back