Does anyone use heat on their hair everyday??

soslychic

There are a pair of sisters I know with bra strap length hair. I've known them forever and remember their hair before it was texturized/relaxed. It was definetely around a 4a/b texture. They now almost exclusively wear it straight with the ends flipped and when I asked them how they maintained such long healthy looking hair, they did mention frequent washing, deep conditioning, etc... but also said that they flat iron it completely once a week and every morning go over each section briefly bumping the ends. I realize that everyone's hair is different and everyone has a different tolerance level but I was simply curious to know if anyone here has been able to maintain a nice length, healthy head of hair using direct heat every single day :)

I would like to know this as well. I rarely use heat and I flat ironed for the first time yesterday. I didnt come out as straight as I wanted to but I didnt turn up the heat. Do they have thick hair the girls that use heat?

Everything ain't for every one...And I do feel that using heat daily will eventually catch up with them, I know it did with me...

I definitely agree. I think looking back that flat ironing my hair everyday is what has caused it to thin so much. I definitely think it will eventually catch up with them. It took a while for it to catch up with me, and I USED to have thick hair, so I definitely know.

During the school year (I am a teacher) I use heat every single day and have never really had a problem with dryness or breakage or thinness or anything like that. I am not advocating this at all because it is not the best thing to do and I am trying to grow my hair so I will be less inclined to do this. Even though I don't have these issues, I often wonder how much more healthy my hair would be if I didn't do that. I use high, high heat also...around 425.

ShiShiPooPoo said:
During the school year (I am a teacher) I use heat every single day and have never really had a problem with dryness or breakage or thinness or anything like that. I am not advocating this at all because it is not the best thing to do and I am trying to grow my hair so I will be less inclined to do this. Even though I don't have these issues, I often wonder how much more healthy my hair would be if I didn't do that. I use high, high heat also...around 425.

Exactly ShiShi...

and your hair probably did look good!
After all, the heat and and flat iron forces your cuticles to lay down. You get the nice shine and the swinginess...

I would NOT advocate it, because chances are, little ends of your hair will be breaking off as you smooth that hot iron down the length of your hair. They'll be so small that you don't really think it's a big deal, but your ends... they're the ones to touch your bra strap, mid back, waist first... so treat them right, they've ben through a lot!!!

I do :look:

I either use hot rollers or curlers pretty much 3 - 4 times a week. My hair is thick, I haven't had any breakage, the only thing I could say is that it may not grow as fast as it could. In any event, it's healthy and it still grows.

I used to use my Carusos everyday - does that count?

It was fine for me, but I get tired of doing it every morning.

I do use heat everytime I shampoo (1-2 times a week), otherwise I just would not be able to get my texlaxed hair straight the way I like to wear it.

I do I prefer my thick texturized flatironed hair vs. my old bone straight relaxed hair that needs little heat.

Years ago, I used to get up every morning and either curl my ends with the curling iron or redo my drop curls with a small barrell curling iron. My hair was still long and thick but over time (about 3 years) it did get pretty damaged. I ended up cutting it off to the Halle Berry and starting fresh again.
Even though I managed to retain length and thickness, my hair would get really frizzy fast and on wash days, I'd have lots of little broken pieces in the tub and on my clothes. To the world my hair looked healthy and bouncing but it really wasn't. And I had a permanent dye in my hair too. :eek: There could never be a benefit to using heat every single day.

I knew a girl who always curled her hair everyday with a curling iron. I told her she was going to damage her hair doing this, but I could see for myself that her hair was long and appeared to be healthy. :confused: I didn't really have a leg to stand on...I guess some people hair can take it.

Divinek said:
I do :look:

I either use hot rollers or curlers pretty much 3 - 4 times a week. My hair is thick, I haven't had any breakage, the only thing I could say is that it may not grow as fast as it could. In any event, it's healthy and it still grows.

:eek: YOU DO WHAT:spank: :spank: J/k :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

It works, your hair is very pretty and looks healthy too. :)

I used to use heat every single day ... which is a no-no for my fine strands. The funny thing is that my hair used to be a lot thicker and could take it, but now it just can't handle it.

sweetcashew said:
Years ago, I used to get up every morning and either curl my ends with the curling iron or redo my drop curls with a small barrell curling iron. My hair was still long and thick but over time (about 3 years) it did get pretty damaged. I ended up cutting it off to the Halle Berry and starting fresh again.
Even though I managed to retain length and thickness, my hair would get really frizzy fast and on wash days, I'd have lots of little broken pieces in the tub and on my clothes. To the world my hair looked healthy and bouncing but it really wasn't. And I had a permanent dye in my hair too. :eek: There could never be a benefit to using heat every single day.

This pic is AFTER cutting 7 inches? :eek:

Gorgeous.

LovelyZ said:
I knew a girl who always curled her hair everyday with a curling iron. I told her she was going to damage her hair doing this, but I could see for myself that her hair was long and appeared to be healthy. :confused: I didn't really have a leg to stand on...I guess some people hair can take it.

You have beautiful hair... :yep:

Gosh, where have you ladies been? I'm getting so motivated.

I have thick hair but I don't use heat everyday. Before I knew any better, I would hot curl my hair daily and wonder how come it did not grow.

Some people have hair that can stand heat...other's don't.

TaraDyan said:
I used to use heat every single day ... which is a no-no for my fine strands. The funny thing is that my hair used to be a lot thicker and could take it, but now it just can't handle it.

TaraDyan....You have beautiful hair!!!!!

i had about hair almost to brastrap a year and a half ago and would use a curling iron to set waves in it about every other three days. needless to say one years later my hair broke off to about shoulder length.

I went from damn near brastrap in halloween 2005 to halloween 2006.....

imbald.jpg

improper and/or frequent use of heat is SURE to cause breakage, whether it be now or some time down the road.

Everytime I use heat I think about this from the PG site. The words are stamped in my head!

http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_73.htm

"Hair dryers and other heated appliances first soften the keratin of the hair. If they are too hot, they can actually cause the water in the hair to boil, and tiny bubbles of steam then form inside the softened hair shaft. The hair is thereby weakened, and may break altogether.

Usually hair damage takes place gradually, stage by stage, as follows:
-the hair is weakened
-the cuticle begins to break down
-the cuticle disappears, layer by layer
-the cortex is exposed
-split ends appear
-the hair breaks. "

I cannot stop thinking about this.

I have relatively thick hair and heat doesn't seem to bother it. The combination of chemicals and heat is what messed me up. I used to use heat daily back in my relaxed days, and had the breakage to prove it!:( But I think it depends on the styling tool, heat setting, the frequency of using heat, chemicals (color, perms, relaxers), cleanliness (of hair & styling tool), and also the health/condition of the hair that makes a difference. With that said, I still wouldn't recommend or use daily heat regardless of how resilient and/or healthy the hair may be.:perplexed

My mother used to do it. I don't think she does anymore but she never had a problem with her hair breaking off or falling out. If I had tried that when I was relaxed my hair would be falling out all over the place.

My mother used to do it. I don't think she does anymore but she never had a problem with her hair breaking off or falling out. If I had tried that when I was relaxed my hair would be falling out all over the place.

My mother did too, but no longer does that, she's a rollersetting junkie LOL. The same can be said about my older sister as well, but for her, she came into the damage sooner than later. She hot-curled her hair every day before school (mine's was in some ponytails with perm rollers on ends of them). Well one morning before school, we were in the bathroom and she took the curling iron and started at the top of her hair (I'm brushing my teeth here, while she doing her hair) and for some strange reason, her hair fell into the sink, and I'm looking at my sister like, what are you cutting your hair for. She didn't cut it, the darn curling iron actually burned the hair off near the roots!!! She left curling irons alone after that, and later went to a barber and got her a faded do. So I wouldn't even advise anyone to do that, if they must, they would need to take extreme caution.

my mother does this. she got a brand spankin' new ceramic curling iron in august 2007. that's when she started using it every morning before work.

she went from about 2" below shoulder length in september 07 to neck length in december of 07.

every time i ask her how her hair's doing, she says it's breaking off like crazy, so she does hard protein treatments weekly to "fix" the damage. (this is on top of her relaxer and half an inch trim every 4 weeks)

yet every time i buy her a moisturizing conditioner; tell her to stop curling; hide her protein treatments so she doesn't use them as often, she says "ceramic = healthy", and "i know how to care for my hair, i've been doing it for umpteen years!" and "why should i take advice from someone who washes their hair every day like a white person?"

i'm scared to see her when i go back home this summer, no doubt she'll be bald.

and she'll get a big fat "I TOLD YOU SO" when i walk in the house swangin my APL hair all in her face.

(we don't get along, lol)

Back