Does anyone use a water softner at home?

hillytmj

Hello ladies,
This is a follow-up to a thread I saw recently about hard water and its affect on our hair. Does anyone have a water softner installed in their home? Has it made a difference with your hair/skin? Was it expensive, and does it require a lot of maintenance?

Thanks in advance for any responses.:yep:

Maybe Sareca will see this.

She used to have one before she moved and I remember her reporting wonderful benefits.

I 've looked this up and the prices range from $800-1200+
I was interested in buying the system , but it is to expensive for me.

We have one and it is AWESOME! I nearly miss it more than my own bed when I have to travel. The water practically feels silky.... I'm not sure how much it cost - we included it when we built the house, but the maintenance is practically nonexistent - just throw a couple 40 lb sacks of salt crystals in it every 3-4 months.....

Yes, Rainsoft and it was expensive. I don't know if I can tell the difference, we've had it so long that I can't really compare. However, I know that when we visit my m-i-l outside of Orlando I always have white gunk on my toe nails after I shower. :ohwell: If you have hard water and can afford it, a softener is a nice investment. Even more so if you have sensitive skin. But it is not a flowing fountain of liquid gold like the Rainsoft salesman promised. :lachen:

We have one and it is AWESOME! I nearly miss it more than my own bed when I have to travel. The water practically feels silky.... I'm not sure how much it cost - we included it when we built the house, but the maintenance is practically nonexistent - just throw a couple 40 lb sacks of salt crystals in it every 3-4 months.....

Thanks so much. I know it will be kind of pricey but if it's giving you those results and it's low maintenance, I'm down.

Yes, Rainsoft and it was expensive. I don't know if I can tell the difference, we've had it so long that I can't really compare. However, I know that when we visit my m-i-l outside of Orlando I always have white gunk on my toe nails after I shower. :ohwell: If you have hard water and can afford it, a softener is a nice investment. Even more so if you have sensitive skin. But it is not a flowing fountain of liquid gold like the Rainsoft salesman promised. :lachen:

That's so funny! Thanks for the details. I always have a white film over my entire body after a shower, so it sounds like a softener is definitely for me. Thanks!

Maybe Sareca will see this.

She used to have one before she moved and I remember her reporting wonderful benefits.

I miss that water softener every single day. ANY PRODUCT WORKS on my hair when it isn't battling a calcium coating. It was shiner, softer, held moisture better, the color appears deeper and darker, it stayed soft all day even w/o product. I actually had to be careful not to overmoisture. :eek:

Right now, in the new house, I only use bottled water on my hair (I buy the 5 gallon drums) and siphon water out until it's light enough to pick up.

I got fed up and ordered an in shower softener. People frequently mistake water filters and water softeners. Filters don't soften and softeners don't filter. Meaning a filter won't take out hard water minerals and a softener won't take out chlorine. They are entirely different. A softener has to be "recharged," meaning you have to rinse the minerals it's collected from the medium. I think it's every 20 uses for this model. It does it automatically (on a timer) when it's the whole house softner. Filters, by contrast, only need to be replaced once/year. If the instructions on your device doesn't say "rinse every X number of uses with salt water" then you don't have a water softener. You have a water filter and you still have hard water.

Here's the only "in shower" water filter I've ever heard of. An LCHF'er started a thread about it but despite my best efforts I haven't been able to find it. It filters and softens and it was only $180! :eek: The whole house water softener we had on the old house was $1300 (i think). It kept hard water minerals off the facets and sinks, from fading clothes in the washes, the dishes from drying with white spots, and baths were just heavenly. Unfortunately, we have other priorities right now and another whole house will have to wait until spring. :(

The WaterStick should be delivered today. It's supposed to be easy to setup. We'll see. :) I'll post a review as soon as it comes in.

ETA: I'm not knocking filters. Chlorine will do nasty things to hair and skin. I have a filter on my shower head and I can tell the difference. I just want to make it clear, if you have hard water it will still be hard after you've installed a filter.

Last edited:
I have a waterstick and I never installed it (cuz I am lazy) I need to install mine.

:rolleyes: Sareca I thought hubby shot that idea down.

I miss that water softener every single day. ANY PRODUCT WORKS on my hair when it isn't battling a calcium coating. It was shiner, softer, held moisture better, the color appears deeper and darker, it stayed soft all day even w/o product. I actually had to be careful not to overmoisture. :eek:

Right now, in the new house, I only use bottled water on my hair (I buy the 5 gallon drums) and siphon water out until it's light enough to pick up.

I got fed up and ordered an in shower softener. People frequently mistake water filters and water softeners. Filters don't soften and softeners don't filter. Meaning a filter won't take out hard water minerals and a softener won't take out chlorine. They are entirely different. A softener has to be "recharged," meaning you have to rinse the minerals it's collected from the medium. I think it's every 20 uses for this model. It does it automatically (on a timer) when it's the whole house softner. Filters, by contrast, only need to be replaced once/year. If the instructions on your device doesn't say "rinse every X number of uses with salt water" then you don't have a water softener. You have a water filter and you still have hard water.

Here's the only "in shower" water filter I've ever heard of. An LCHF'er started a thread about it but despite my best efforts I haven't been able to find it. It filters and softens and it was only $180! :eek: The whole house water softener we had on the old house was $1300 (i think). It kept hard water minerals off the facets and sinks, from fading clothes in the washes, the dishes from drying with white spots, and baths were just heavenly. Unfortunately, we have other priorities right now and another whole house will have to wait until spring. :(

The WaterStick should be delivered today. It's supposed to be easy to setup. We'll see. :) I'll post a review as soon as it comes in.

ETA: I'm not knocking filters. Chlorine will do nasty things to hair and skin. I have a filter on my shower head and I can tell the difference. I just want to make it clear, if you have hard water it will still be hard after you've installed a filter.

I have a waterstick and I never installed it (cuz I am lazy) I need to install mine.
:eek: Are you kidding me!? I'm working from home today so I can install it the second it arrives.
:rolleyes: Sareca I thought hubby shot that idea down.
I'm not without my wiles. :kiss4:Actually, he didn't even know I ordered it until yesterday. I tried doing the household democracy thing, but I'm tired of hauling water from the well.

Last edited:
Sareca,

Thanks! That post made a lot of sense. I just moved from Memphis to Minnesota and I was WONDERING why my kitchen sponges would dry with white spots underneath them, or why my dishes always dried with white spots...or why my hair was shedding like crazy lately. It IS the water?!

Ugh. Too bad my landlord said that the water softener in the basement (apparently all houses in my town come with one installed -- I should have KNOWN then...) leaks all over the floor and he couldn't figure out how to make it work. It's a big HUGE machine that you have to pour rock salt into once a month (says my neighbor).

What else can I do? Calling the plumber every week for a house I don't own isn't really an option.

Last edited:
:eek: Are you kidding me!? I'm working from home today so I can install it the second it arrives.

I'm not without my wiles. :kiss4:Actually, he didn't even know I ordered it until yesterday. I tried doing the household democracy thing, but I'm tired of hauling water from the well.

I know. I think I saw it when it came and was like :look: Procrastination set it quick after that. Meanwhile, EVERY week, I go to the health food store to get jugs of water refilled. It is a pain. You are inspiring me to get my act together and install it.

I am glad you got yours though! :yep:

Sareca,

Thanks! That post made a lot of sense. I just moved from Memphis to Minnesota and I was WONDERING why my kitchen sponges would dry with white spots underneath them, or why my dishes always dried with white spots...or why my hair was shedding like crazy lately. It IS the water?!

:yep: The worse part is it's leaving that same residue on your hair and skin.
Ugh. Too bad my landlord said that the water softener in the basement (apparently all houses in my town come with one installed -- I should have KNOWN then...) leaks all over the floor and he couldn't figure out how to make it work. It's a big HUGE machine that you have to pour rock salt into once a month (says my neighbor).

That's the one. It's like 3-4 feet tall and holds 30-40lbs (depending on the model) of rock salt.

What else can I do? Calling the plumber every week for a house I don't own isn't really an option.

Aww, that stinks. Has the landlord tried calling the softener manufacturer? They almost always put a phone number and name on the unit. Also Lowes and HomeDepot install softeners, they might be able to permanently repair it.

Last edited:
I will look into that. Thanks for the advice.

Is that residue why my scalp won't seem to get clean either? At this point I feel like I could wash everyday and it wouldn't get clean or that I'd be bald after a week or 2 from the amount of shedding that results.

I've been putting straight coconut oil on my skin for the last week or so, and that sure has worked wonders...

I will look into that. Thanks for the advice.

Is that residue why my scalp won't seem to get clean either? At this point I feel like I could wash everyday and it wouldn't get clean or that I'd be bald after a week or 2 from the amount of shedding that results.

I've been putting straight coconut oil on my skin for the last week or so, and that sure has worked wonders...

We're living parallel lives my friend. I use oil rinses to help keep hardwater minerals from adhering to my hair. Oil definitely helps. I also add it to my bathwater. It might be product buildup on your scalp. Things build up faster when you have hard water. I find that I have to use a chelating poo more often when I use the tap.

It's installed! I'll test it when I get back.

Heard a truck and ran to the door (for the 4th time). It was actually him this time. Ran across yard to meet him. He didn't seem surprised. :blush3:

11:45A
Opened box, read instruction (actually I just looked at the pictures), found tools (wrench), removed old shower head, installed WaterStick, and cleaned up.

11:56A
Done and leaving to drop dh off at the auto shop.

HD, get off the Web and go install the dang thing already. It's super easy.

ETA: I tried it out. A handheld shower head is genius! I should have gotten one a long time ago even it it didn't have a softener attached. I means you can wash your hair without taking a shower. I didn't get a drop of water on my clothes.:yay:

So, frirst, I just rinsed my hair. It didn't feel as soft as I remembered so I decided to give it a hand and clarified. I rinsed (it felt like straw like is always does after I chelate). and applied conditioner. My hair melted into my hands as I applied the conditioner.

Here's the softener...
P1080645-vi.jpg

It took 11 minutes and one wench from intercepting the UPS guy to cleaning up.

Here's the proof...
P1080648-vi.jpg

Very hard = dark orange. Very soft = green.

It's the third from the top. I don't have to tell you which is before and which is after.
It's a success! :yay: No more hauling water! :happydance: I can't wait to rinse my relaxer (when it's most vulnerable to hardwater) with this water.

Last edited:

OMG!!! I have to have this filter/softener...Its affordable too. Thanks Sereca!!

thanks for sharing this sareca! I have this on my to buy list for Christmas.

So it's been a few days and I'm completely in love and kicking myself for not buying it sooner. :rolleyes:

This is a MUST if you're having hair issues and you have hard water.
Here's some info including a map of areas in the country with hard water.

The test for water hardness/softness is cheap and easy. Anyplace that sells aquarium fish will sell testers. Test your water before you buy the WaterStick.

So it's been a few days and I'm completely in love and kicking myself for not buying it sooner. :rolleyes:

This is a MUST if you're having hair issues and you have hard water.
Here's some info including a map of areas in the country with hard water.

The test for water hardness/softness is cheap and easy. Anyplace that sells aquarium fish will sell testers. Test your water before you buy the WaterStick.

thanks sareca. I am going to try petco and lowe's for the hard water test.

Sareca, I believe there are some shower filters that also soften the water. Like the AQ-4100 which costs less than $100. I first read of it in an article that stated this:

...Personally, I don’t recommend to use regular water softeners to treat your home water. It’s definitely not for your drinking water. But you can use drinking water filters to improve your water quality, purity and taste.

For non-drinking water, I do recommend you to use special water filter system such as shower water filters or whole house water filters that can filter harmful chemicals (chlorine, synthetic chemicals, THMs and VOCs), and balance minerals level with natural copper/zinc mineral media called KDF-55D. So that your home water won’t be hard, but there is no side-effects by water softeners like salt. For shower water filter I highly recommend AQ-4100...

AQ-4100 shower water filter has a unique 2-stage filter process that remove chlorine and enhance ph balances in Stage 1 and filters out harmful VOCs and THMs and other synthetic chemcials or by-products in stage 2. After such treatment, your water is softened without harmful effects by salt-treated water. On the top of that, it is the cheapest shower water filter with its high quality and performance.

Full Article

Sareca, I believe there are some shower filters that also soften the water. Like the AQ-4100 which costs less than $100. I first read of it in an article that stated this:

Full Article

It's 2A so I could be wrong, but I don't think it's me. I think the person that wrote that article is mistaken. When you click the product link http://www.aquasana.com/product_detail.php?product_id=2 it doesn't say anything about removing hard water minerals. It says your hair and skin will be softer from removing the chlorine, VOCS, and THM (which all chemicals not minerals). The article mentions calcium and magnesium, which are hard water minerals, but the product manufacturer doesn't say anything about them.

Stage 1 removes chlorine and enhances pH balance with a natural copper/zinc mineral media called KDF-55D. The second filtration stage uses a carbonized coconut shell medium for the removal of synthetic chemicals, THMs and VOCs that vaporize from tap water and are inhaled or absorbed through the skin, potentially causing adverse health and cosmetic effects.

If the product manufacturer doesn't say it softens water or removes hard water minerals then I'm inclined to think it doesn't. You could call and ask but to me it looks like a fancy filter that uses some kind of copper minerals to filter out chemicals and adjust the PH (which is really cool) but not a softener. The author is probably confusing the shower model A4100 with the whole house filter/softener combo model http://www.waterfilter-usa.com/filter-softener-combos-filtersoftener-combo-c-105_85.html. Notice they call it a filter/softener combo . that's because typically filters don't soften and softeners don't filter.

Thanks for the product pointer! I'd love to skip the salt replacement part of the process. I'll talk to DH about getting one one instead of the salt-based one for the house. :up: As far as the shower one goes I think the article author is wrong. That one doesn't soften.

Last edited:
It's official, we have hard water:wallbash:. I purchased a bottle of the L'anza swim & sun daily chelating shampoo from online last night and had a question. With the purchase of the water stick, do you still need to chelate?

tia,
tishee

It's official, we have hard water:wallbash:. I purchased a bottle of the L'anza swim & sun daily chelating shampoo from online last night and had a question. With the purchase of the water stick, do you still need to chelate?

tia,
tishee

You might still have product buildup but it won't be ANYTHING like hardwater buildup. The only time I chelate now is when I've neglected to "recharge" in time and the water got hard again. When I remember to recharge every 4 weeks I feel absolutely no need to chelate. I use so much less product when the water is soft that buildup isn't even an issue.

:update:

I've had the WaterStick for a little over 2 months now. I've recharged it twice. The first time I did it on schedule. The next time I forgot for about 5 weeks and wondered why I had so much more shrinkage, why my hair was soft when wet but dried crunchy, why I started seeing tiny little broken ones, why my scalp started itching again, why my shower had so much soap scum... then it dawned on me that I hadn't recharged.

I tested the water just to confirm that was the problem and sure enough it was. I got out my trusty 2 liter bottle filled it with water, added 2 cups of salt,mixed 'em, left it in the softener for 30 minutes, rinsed, and retested. It's back to soft... sigh...
love0090.gif
. After that I chelated and deep conditioned. All is right in hairworld again, :love3: which means just about any product works, my hair is soft with no product at all, the color is deeper and darker, and it doesn't shrink up as much.

Last edited:
Sareca, thanks for all of this information. I am Chicago where it looks like we have "very hard" water, but I am going to go out and get the test strips to make sure before I look into purchasing the WaterStick.

Question: how do you know if your hair is suffering from hard water? Is it something you only realize once you make the switch or are there telltale signs?

Thanks!

Back