Does anyone rinse out their relaxer in the shower?

Ladylynn

Does anyone rinse out their relaxer in the shower? I self relax my hair in two sections, and I just recently rinsed out the relaxer in the shower using a hand held shower attachment. It was much better on my back than leaning over the kitchen sink, and since my hair was directed down, it didn't tangle at all. I also lost less hair. I just don't know how safe it is for the chemicals to touch the rest of my body. What do you all think?

I used too....It help to keep my hair tangle free in the washing process. I stopped because my skin used to become itchy and dry because of it.

I do it and have been doing it for years. I never bend over the sink and wash my hair. I haven't noticed any harm to my skin from doing this and I have really really sensitive skin.

I've done this twice in the past, and afterwards I didn't notice a problem with my skin. I never wash my hair out in the sink - it tangles way too much.

Question, where did you get the hand held attachment, I have been looking for one that I can easily connect in my bathroom.

Question, where did you get the hand held attachment, I have been looking for one that I can easily connect in my bathroom.

It's actually a regular shower head that separates from the base by a long hose. So I just take it off and direct it where I want it to go.

I do it and have been doing it for years. I never bend over the sink and wash my hair. I haven't noticed any harm to my skin from doing this and I have really really sensitive skin.
Me too! I would not be able to deal with the tangles if I washed in the sink.

I use to do and the chemicals never really got on my back because I would hold my head back.

Now I just use the sink to avoid all the in and out of the shower. The sink is much faster for me.

Glad to see a lot of folks rinsing their relaxer out in the shower. Before I used to use the sink, but tilt my head and body back to mimic the direction that hair stylist use with their shower bowls... way too much back pain, and water everywhere :nono:

I do this. After I have gotten most of the relaxer out, I apply more neutralizing shampoo and let it sit in my head (this is typically the last wash). Then I wash my body with the neutralizing shampoo then with my regular body wash. HTH!

My shower head doesn't have enough pressure for me to do it now. But I have rinsed out relaxer in other showers in the past with no issue.

I will NEVER rinse my hair under the flow of water in the tub anymore-- my hair got stuck in the drain... the drain clogged and my hair was sitting in the relaxer-water. The ends of the hair got totally overprocessed. The water was coming up to my nose and I started panicing. I had to cut several inches of my hair off :cry3:

Always in the shower; I sort of arch my back so the water isn't completely flowing over my body. I'm too short to successfully do it in the sink, and like somebody else said - I'd be blind!

I used to do it back when I was relaxed.
I think it's a bad idea...
I didn't see any negative side effects,
but just because I couldn't see it...
doesn't mean it's safe.

I always rinse in the shower. Something about rinsing in the kitchen sink never sat well with me, cause I rinse out raw meat in there. And even though I disinfect it with cleaners, it still bugs me to think about it.
Plus I dont have the dexterity to do it in the kitchen sink.

I used to do it back when I was relaxed.
I think it's a bad idea...
I didn't see any negative side effects,
but just because I couldn't see it...
doesn't mean it's safe.

What do you think is a bad idea? The potential of the chemicals contacting the body?

I do this. After I have gotten most of the relaxer out, I apply more neutralizing shampoo and let it sit in my head (this is typically the last wash). Then I wash my body with the neutralizing shampoo then with my regular body wash. HTH!

I thought about doing this too. I may give it a try tonight when I relax.

Back