Does anyone not condition their hair after shampooing?

Blossssom

I heard today that conditioning your hair after shampooing, especially using Pantene products, causes your hair to fall out.

Anyone know about this?

I dont think I could ever wash without conditioning. I never had that happen and never heard it happening. I would suggest to keep conditioning after washing. Even my stylist recommends that.

I'm sure that there are some people who do it... usually with CON shampoo.

I don't personally do that though. It won't work for me.

That's what I was thinking, ladies...

I have never HEARD of anyone washing their hair and not conditioning it.

Of course, if it's a combo shampoo/conditioner, that would make more sense than NO conditioner.

I don't know what to make of it... I will continue to condition. My cousin was telling me this today.

I thought conditioning restored the moisture in your hair after it has been stripped of it's natural oils by the shampoo.

I don't if I use Cream of nature Ultra moisturizing shampoo.

But, I used the CON clarifying shampoo Saturday night and used the ORS Egg conditioner cream after that.

it really depends on the shampoo I use.

I was going to loc and I went almost 3 months with no conditioner (because you can't use it on locs until they mature). I would just shampoo and AVC rinse afterwards. When I took the braidlocs down my hair was not dry and not breaking. My ends weren't even raggedy either. This proved to me that I don't need conditioner. But I do like conditioner and I think it has it's purpose so I decided to use conditioner when my hair felt like it was needed...not necessarily after every shampoo.

Last edited:
Blossssom said:
I heard today that conditioning your hair after shampooing, especially using Pantene products, causes your hair to fall out.

Anyone know about this?

Naw its the other way around :lol:

Not conditioning your hair after shampooing will cause your hair to fall out :lol:

mkstar826 said:
I was going to loc and I went almost 3 months with no conditioner (because you can't use it on locs until they mature). I would just shampoo and AVC rinse afterwards. When I took the braidlocs down my hair was not dry and not breaking. My ends weren't even raggedy either. This proved to me that I don't need conditioner. But I do like conditioner and I think it has it's purpose so I decided to use conditioner when my hair felt like it was needed...not necessarily after every shampoo.

yes this is true for locs...

but occasionally i dilute conditioner for my children's locs...heavily diluted...also if u dont use products to clean the hair that contain sulfates...u can get away with this...which is what i dont use...

zoj2 said:
My Indian friend doesn't use conditioner because she says it makes your hair fall out. :ohwell:

See it's the other way around for me, if I don't put conditioner in my hair, the shampoo will make it feel roughhhhh like some sandpaper. :lol:

Candycane044 said:
See it's the other way around for me, if I don't put conditioner in my hair, the shampoo will make it feel roughhhhh like some sandpaper. :lol:

That's how my hair feels too, Candy...

I'm going to do a comparison test.

The next time I shampoo, I'm going to use a "natural" shampoo, opposed to one with the Sodium Laureth Sulfate and see how my hair feels.

Maybe if you use natural/organic shampoos you don't need a conditioner.

Blossssom said:
That's how my hair feels too, Candy...

I'm going to do a comparison test.

The next time I shampoo, I'm going to use a "natural" shampoo, opposed to one with the Sodium Laureth Sulfate and see how my hair feels.

Maybe if you use natural/organic shampoos you don't need a conditioner.

That's a good point, I never thought about that.. maybe I'll try it too.

This is such a good question Blosssom.

When I was on another hair board I had a discussion with my Internet hair friend (African American) about this very same subject. She told me that her cousin NEVER uses conditioner at all :shocked:, as a matter of fact her whole family never has. She said that all her cousin uses is shampoo and bergamot grease and has natural waist length hair (it may be longer by now). I asked why her family never used it she said that they are VERY old fashioned, so in other words it more of a tradition than anything else. I asked her what brands of shampoo did her cousin use, and she told me whatever is on sale.:lol:

I guess different things work for different people. :)

I've done this before with Keracare detangling shampoo. It's not a habit but sometimes when I'm many weeks post relaxer I get lazy and the Keracare leaves my hair really moist and tangle free.

I did not use conditioner for 3 months as a trial. My hair was the strongest ever - very, very minimal breakage and no shedding. I started using condition recently and the difference I see is that my hair has more body and it doesn't look as dry as before. On the flip side, I see alot my shedding and my hair is more delicate. Without conditioner my hair did not feel dry but it looked dry. Maybe because I didn't used any oils or anything. I am going to do it again but this time I will use oils, etc., and I will show before and after pictures.

ivanay said:
I did not use conditioner for 3 months as a trial. My hair was the strongest ever - very, very minimal breakage and no shedding. I started using condition recently and the difference I see is that my hair has more body and it doesn't look as dry as before. On the flip side, I see alot my shedding and my hair is more delicate. Without conditioner my hair did not feel dry but it looked dry. Maybe because I didn't used any oils or anything. I am going to do it again but this time I will use oils, etc., and I will show before and after pictures.

Yes, please let us know what your results are. I may not use conditioner the next time I shampoo. I'm scared, though, but after reading some of the replies, perhaps my cousin is on to something.

It's going to be hard not using conditioner, though, after 30 years of conditioning :lol:

I do this on occassion but not intentionally. I dont keep my hair products in the bathroom so its more like I got in the shower and forgot the condtioner and I'm too lazy to dry off and go in search of it. :) I've never had any ill effects and I'm washing or conditoner washing almost every day anyway.

karezone said:
The only people I know that don't use conditioner are white.

The only people that I know that don't use conditioner are black. All of my white friends say that their hair feels like straw and is bushy or static-y if they don't use conditioner.

ivanay said:

I am a test case for this right now. I have fine-textured 4a/b hair, and am currently wearing braids. I decided not to put any conditioner in my hair b/c I didn't want it to get stuck in the braids (if conditioner doesn't fully wash out of my hair, it causes me major breakage). I am using moisturizers (like S-Curl and light oils to keep my hair lubricated). I will let you ladies know how it turns out when I take out the braids.

I think that some people could go without conditioner and be okay (as long as they properly moisturize), and it just depends on what's best for your hair.

Just thinkin about not conditionin makes me uneasy...
I don't use Pantene and I've never heard about this but I wouldn't even think about not conditioning my hair...I can't get wit it. lol

Divine Inspiration said:
Just thinkin about not conditionin makes me uneasy...
I don't use Pantene and I've never heard about this but I wouldn't even think about not conditioning my hair...I can't get wit it. lol

Me either :nono:

Back