Does Anyone Here go to the Dominicans on a Regular Basis?

InJesusName

...and still have hair to tell about? I have been contemplating returning to my before LHCF practice of weekly salon visits, but just don't think I can handle the Black salons anymore. Between them not being able to tell time, wanting to either burn or cut all of your hair out, uncontrollable gossip and $10 bootleg videos I just can't take it!! Not to mention your typical "oh no you didn't" when you ask them to deep condition your hair.

Anyway...I kinda like the Dominican experience (love the way the blow outs look, but afraid of the excess and constant heat on my sensitive strands) and was thinking of trying them on a regular basis for a while. I'm getting sick of fighting with my own hair, and it's not growing like I want it to anyway.

If you go...how often?

Do they really know how to deep condition your hair well?

What is your style of choice?

Have you experienced a noteable change in the overall health and/or length of your hair? (This one is important, because I noticed a lot of the stylists clients had long hair but it was thin).

Is this a good option for thin hair?

If you go...how often? Once a week

Do they really know how to deep condition your hair well? Yeah but I bring all of my own products

What is your style of choice? I have them put in the biggest rollers and blow out the roots only when I am close to needing a perm

Have you experienced a noteable change in the overall health and/or length of your hair? (This one is important, because I noticed a lot of the stylists clients had long hair but it was thin). I think my hair has greatly improved health wise, its alot shinier and longer now than before

Is this a good option for thin hair? IDK about that....my hair is pretty thick so I think it may be a better option for thicker hair.

I tried to take care of my own hair for about a week and a half after reading and lurking on this forum and I just couldn't do it. My hair wasn't the same as it is when I go to the dominican place. I actually attribute the length I have now from going to the dominican place, I was a swimmer/diver in college and my hair was a dry, frizzy, damaged mess and now its not. Going to the dominican salon has helped me, not hurt.

If you go...how often? I go once a week or once every two weeks depending on the time and cash I have.

Do they really know how to deep condition your hair well? I noticed that at the place I go to they use 10 in 1 deep conditioner and sit you under the dryer. But if you like you can bring in your own deep conditioner. My salon charges $2 to use the dryer for your own deep conditioner.

What is your style of choice? I get a deep conditioner, roller set, roots blown depending on how bad I need a touch-up, and then I get it wrapped up.

Have you experienced a noteable change in the overall health and/or length of your hair? (This one is important, because I noticed a lot of the stylists clients had long hair but it was thin). I notice that my hair is healthier, more manageable during the week so I see less breakage then when I do my own hair, and it grows best when I go weekly. My best friend also goes and her hair is growing like a weed! I haven't noticed/paid attention to whether or not the other girls have thick hair or not. My own hair is not super thick, but I have not experienced any thinning since going there.

If you go...how often? I go once a week

Do they really know how to deep condition your hair well? yes and they know when I don't need a DC. but I do my own oil treatments and protein at home

What is your style of choice? blow out the roots and flipped ends

Have you experienced a noteable change in the overall health and/or length of your hair? (This one is important, because I noticed a lot of the stylists clients had long hair but it was thin). it's healthier silkier easier to deal with, I dont comb it as much because I'm not fighting with it. I finger wrap it and tie it up at night and in the AM just shake it out. so my hair has grown.

Is this a good option for thin hair? I think so, it works for me.

If you go...how often? Once a week

Do they really know how to deep condition your hair well? Um, I feel like they do. They massage the conditioner into my hair from roots to tips before placing me under the dryer for 20 minutes, and by the time they're ready to detangle, the comb slides pretty effortlessly through my hair.

What is your style of choice? A roots-only blowout on medium heat. I alternate between wrapping my hair afterwards for that sleek FULL blowout look, and pincurling it for a curly look.

Have you experienced a noteable change in the overall health and/or length of your hair? (This one is important, because I noticed a lot of the stylists clients had long hair but it was thin). YES! My hair is noticeably healthier, longer, and thicker. I also contribute this to me taking better care of my hair at home, and stretching my relaxers though. :look:

It depends on what you get done. I think the signature Dominican blowout on high heat will only make thin hair appear and eventually get thinner.

...and still have hair to tell about? I have been contemplating returning to my before LHCF practice of weekly salon visits, but just don't think I can handle the Black salons anymore. Between them not being able to tell time, wanting to either burn or cut all of your hair out, uncontrollable gossip and $10 bootleg videos I just can't take it!! Not to mention your typical "oh no you didn't" when you ask them to deep condition your hair.

Anyway...I kinda like the Dominican experience (love the way the blow outs look, but afraid of the excess and constant heat on my sensitive strands) and was thinking of trying them on a regular basis for a while. I'm getting sick of fighting with my own hair, and it's not growing like I want it to anyway.

If you go...how often? I don't make it a practice, but since i am transitioning, I have ended up there about once a month (since August or September) just to get a break from my braidouts and it's usually when I am wanting a different style for a special event.

Do they really know how to deep condition your hair well? Can't really say since I usually do my own DC at home, but at one place, it's included in the price of your rollerset (they will do you about 10 or 15 minutes) and at the other place, it's extra, and even MORE ($10) if you bring your own conditioner.

What is your style of choice? Rollerset with the roots only blown out, and I would LOVE to have the ends flipped up, but that's a little difficult since its all one length (well, not after today though:grin:, I snipped some of it off)

Have you experienced a noteable change in the overall health and/or length of your hair? (This one is important, because I noticed a lot of the stylists clients had long hair but it was thin).I can't say that going to them has made that big of a difference in the health of my hair; I just don't go to them often enough to be able to say so. I did over hear 2 ladies talking last night though and the one lady was saying how she had been coming there since the beginning of the summer and her hair had grown, but yes, it was thin, in addition to being naturally fine. I have seen ladies there (on different occassions) and they seem like regulars since the stylists know them, but if their hair is naturally thick, it doesn't look like a big deal.

My hair is very fine and this is not something that I could endure on a weekly, or even bi-weekly basis, even though i only get the roots blown. But there are some other members that go weekly and their hair can take it. My hair just doesn't agree with heat. :nono: I think after going a few times, you will be able to judge for yourself whether your hair is thinning or not and then be able to make a decision if that's best for you. (after getting my hair wet wrapped for years and years and then my brother started doing it and blow drying it weekly, I could tell after 3 weeks that that was a no-no:nono:)

I used to go every week and just get my roots blow out. But now i go just after a touch up since im usually doing my own hair in a bun or wash n go pony.
I never had any adverse effects from going to the dominicans. I usually liked my hair:yep:

I used to go to them consistently every week. They overprocessed my hair. I will only go to them for a rollerset, if that. Of course I'm not saying that all Dominican salons are like this but I've had enough with stylist. I am going to be a DIY now.

I just discovered a Dominican salon in my area, and I'm so excited! I'm going to start going every two weeks (because they are relatively cheap to me--$25 for a wash and set, $10 extra for deep conditioning)...I haven't been disappointed yet!!! And they're actually quite helpful when I ask for tips on doing my own hair or maintaining it between visits. :yep:

If you go...how often? When I was living in New York I would go once per week. I did this for about 2 years before moving out where I am now.

Do they really know how to deep condition your hair well? They sure do! They usually ask if you want regular or deep condition, which is like $5 extra, but it really does the job!

What is your style of choice? I use to just let them rollerset and blow out the entire head.

Have you experienced a noteable change in the overall health and/or length of your hair? (This one is important, because I noticed a lot of the stylists clients had long hair but it was thin). Most definitely. I went back to them when I transitioned from natural back to relaxed. They helped me to love relaxers again!

Is this a good option for thin hair? Yes, but after rollerset it's good to just have them blow out the roots instead of the length of the hair... I think blowing the entire head is what causes thinness.

Good luck :)

I just discovered a Dominican salon in my area, and I'm so excited! I'm going to start going every two weeks (because they are relatively cheap to me--$25 for a wash and set, $10 extra for deep conditioning)...I haven't been disappointed yet!!! And they're actually quite helpful when I ask for tips on doing my own hair or maintaining it between visits. :yep:

Girl give up the goods!! I am in your neck of the woods! (on the acworth/kennesaw border line)

WELCOME to the board too!

BB

Back