Does anyone here feel line NO HEAT doesn't work for them?

foxieroxienyc

Does anyone here feel like NO HEAT doesn't work for them?

(PS - pardon the typo in the title, I swear I'm such a blond sometimes)

:ohwell: Yeah so today is my hair washing day... Sundays I like to wash/DC/pamper and baby my hair as though I'm at the salon. I really look forward to it and my hair thanks me for it....

Today I decided to try to continue on my week's quest for NO HEAT... Earlier this week some of you may have witnessed my pics of my first WNG, and it was cute, but I find that it requires too much manipulation and the possible need for hair gel... lol Today as I was doing my S&D, I saw a few splits, which ok I know is normal, but I watch my ends pretty carefully and I didn't notice as many the last time I checked. This week I co-washed or DC around 4x, and I only used direct heat 1x. I think this is way too much for my hair which is fine and dense 3c/4a combo. I REALLY tried to do the whole roller set thing, and rocked it for a while, but it takes SOOOOO LONG from start to finish I just feel I don't have the patience anymore and I CANNOT, I repeat CANNOT for the life of me wrap and saran wrap my hair to save my life. Each time it comes out a sweaty HAM with hair that doesn't properly lay down or swing quite right when I take it down. It just kind of plasters to my forehead along with the beads of sweat... And the middle gets poofy...

I'm finding that my hair really thrives more if I flat-iron. Strange huh :ohwell::look:. I've gotten this down to a "T." I sit under my soft bonnet dryer attachment with my ionic blow dryer, then when about 70% or so dry, I continue to blow dry on a warm heat/low speed setting so it's a nice tepid breeze that results in moisturized and shiny hair (surprised me, I only started using the dryer within the last 2 weeks since my hooded Hot Tools dryer had broken), and then I flat iron (or what I'm now seeing called "silken") my hair with a low/moderate temp ionic/tourmaline flat iron.

I loose no hair in the process (rollersetting/wrapping I see TONS of tiny breakage from the wrapping/manipulation), my hair stays pretty moisturized, and I'm not seeing any ill effects. I know people avoid heat like it's the plague around here and I keep asking myself am I fooling myself and just setting myself up for trouble down the line or should I keep trying to "do me." I've been deciding to do me after failing straight out of Bootcamp ONCE AGAIN after the first week:rolleyes:, lol. (I'm such a pathetic heat wh*re it keeps calling my name and I keep running to it :master:)

I know I can't be the only one... Who are the other secret heat lovers out there!? Come on it's time to OUT yourself...:grin: And what are your methods for safe usage? Have you seen any ill effects or is your hair thriving?

Last edited:
To be quite honest, my hair does better too when I flat iron. I'm texurized and for about 2 years I tried to avoid heat and only keep my hair in buns and I kept trying to figure out "why does my hair keep looking so horrible when I know I am being careful with everything I do!".
I retained length but it was thin. I also kept getting those horrible knots towards the ends which I had to cut.
So, in the last 7 months-I did everything I normally did but decided to roller-set and flat iron once a week and my hair is starting to thrive again.
I'm not saying direct heat is good for our hair but my hair thrives when it is straight and retains more moisture. :drunk:

I don't see more splits than normal. I always use a good leave in and heat protectant and high quality flat iron.

Last edited:
You know I've tried the bunning/pinning up looks as well, and I love them, but I think the stress of daily protective styling put some stress on my nape (even though I don't wrap the ponytail holders tight and I use the ouchless ones). So I alternate between wearing my hair down and wearing it up whenever I feel like it. More often than not I wear my hair down in some way or form - which for me again works (I'm soooooooo against the grain it's strange, lol).

I do think that TOO MUCH heat isn't good. If you're putting direct heat in the way of irons/blowdryers everyday in your hair, then that's god awful! But I think that 1-2x with clean and MOISTURIZED hair is quite fine. I even read about the ceramic/tourmaline irons aiding in sealing the cuticles...

Of course now if you're doing what we know are the bad things (too high temps, metal irons, no heat protectant, greasy products, dirty hair, and basically scorching your hair) you will end up bald. I just cannot see how heat is bad, I feel guilty sometimes when I see that people are going about happily with their journey and no heat, and then I stop to think, well wait, what are you guys doing during the week. A lot are bunning, and I just can't do that... It gives me a headache to bun too, lol.:spinning:

Last edited:
To be quite honest, my hair does better too when I flat iron. I'm texurized and for about 2 years I tried to avoid heat and only keep my hair in buns and I kept trying to figure out "why does my hair keep looking so horrible when I know I am being careful with everything I do!".
I retained length but it was thin. I also kept getting those horrible knots towards the ends which I had to cut.
So, in the last 7 months-I did everything I normally did but decided to roller-set and flat iron once a week and my hair is starting to thrive again.
I'm not saying direct heat is good for our hair but my hair thrives when it is straight and retains more moisture. :drunk:

I don't see more splits than normal. I always use a good leave in and heat protectant and high quality flat iron.

I agree. For me, at least. Without my heat styling, my hair gets tangled and looks bad. It is harder for me to moisturize.

I prefer using some heat on my hair. Not everything works for everyone.

My hair is funny and does not like to be airdryed all the time when I am co washing.
I use a blowdryer twice a week without any breakage or damage and my hair seem to thrive.
I make sure to use a good heat protectant when blowdrying and I have always used heat on my hair when I am not rollersetting or wrapping.

I am one of those that needs some heat too...my hair isn't relaxed bone straight so it really needs some heat to look good if I want to wear it straight...I don't think using a good ceramic iron once a week after washing, deep conditioning, and using a good heat protectant will cause much damage...

it really is a b%^&h...to rollerset ever wash, or 1x a week. I just did it today and I can't take it anymore. But my hair does so much better during the week than if i airdried. I never use the blow-fryer, so i don't have many options. and yes, flat ironing is just the icing on the cake.

Thanks ladies for sharing :yep:. I knew I couldn't be the only one with the same sentiments.

All I know is Roxie w/o direct heat in some way every once in a while =

I need some form of heat. The only way I can air dry successfully is if I rollerset it so the hair has something to adhere too and help shape it. My cuticle layer goes haywire if I don't. I am trying to reduce my overall heat use but I will probably still finish off my rollersets with heat under my dryer for atleast 20 minutes.

Gym are you doing the saran wrap technique afterwards? If so how do you keep from sweating or getting it right overall. Although I've seen Macherie's video tutorial I can't get it right....

Gym are you doing the saran wrap technique afterwards? If so how do you keep from sweating or getting it right overall. Although I've seen Macherie's video tutorial I can't get it right....

I have tried that a couple of times and it doesn't work for me. I don't notice any difference.

I have long accepted the fact that my hair needs heat-and high heat at that. Like someone mentioned earlier-I think my outer cuticle layer needs to be smoothed w/heat or I am in for problems. And my hair just looks better flat ironed. So there. But I have also noticed that some of the better looking rollersets require some degree of heat. I can't think of her name but even the member w/all the youtube videos on rollersetting blowdries her roots!! But I will admit that because I do blowdry and flat iron it is a must that I keep up w/trimming. You can't use heat like this and not trim or your ends will be jacked. I'd also like to mention that doing this has not hampered my hair growth at all-just look at my avatar. If I kept going I could have been at WL at the end of the summer-I just chose to cut my hair for cuteness sake to APL and I LOVE IT!!

I have long accepted the fact that my hair needs heat-and high heat at that. Like someone mentioned earlier-I think my outer cuticle layer needs to be smoothed w/heat or I am in for problems. And my hair just looks better flat ironed. So there. But I have also noticed that some of the better looking rollersets require some degree of heat. I can't think of her name but even the member w/all the youtube videos on rollersetting blowdries her roots!! But I will admit that because I do blowdry and flat iron it is a must that I keep up w/trimming. You can't use heat like this and not trim or your ends will be jacked. I'd also like to mention that doing this has not hampered my hair growth at all-just look at my avatar. If I kept going I could have been at WL at the end of the summer-I just chose to cut my hair for cuteness sake to APL and I LOVE IT!!

MissM you are SUCH an inspiration, I LOVE your hair. I do agree about the ends, I actually have added weekly S&D's in just to make sure I stay on top of things. Good thing though is that I don't find too many splits. Splits will happen no matter what, but I think my weekly DC's are helping as well as the occassional hardcore protein treatment w/ Emergencee. I also started using Sebastian Potion 9 as one of my leave ins. Its protein packed and infused with a lot of oils too (jojoba, castor, coconut, and a few others - it boasts of 9 oils on the package). I think it's really helped with keeping my hair is great condition despite the heat usage. Following Potion 9, I always apply a little Salerm 21 to counter any dryness that may occur.

Lol this is like my little heat crusade thread lol.

Not using heat is not an option for me. :nono: Every time water hits my hair (either for a co- or regular wash) I dry my hair using a hair dryer + attachment. I rarely use curling or flat irons, though.

You have BEAUTIFUL hair MissM. :grin: Your post is proof positive that different things work for different people and we all must find out what works for us. :)

I like heat. Yeah, I said it! :lachen:

Seriously, even before I wore short hair, I always flat ironed or curled my hair and I never suffered any breakage. I'm not really a ponytail person, so some heat was always required to style my hair.

I like the polished look that only heat (both direct and indirect) can give. I never planned to jump on the no-heat bandwagon for that reason.

I like heat too...a little too much, always have but now I think that I handle it alot better. I use a good heat protectant and a good iron that only requires one pass over the hair and I don't do it more than once a week.
I resisted the direct heat urge yesterday and rollerset my hair using Gioivanni Direct Leave in and Sebastian Potion #9 (thanks for the hot review Roxie) and I didnt go under the dryer I just airdried my roller set and after several hours I took down the rollers and because my roots are texlaxed I used my Chi to straighten the roots and then wrapped my hair. I came out very good.

Also, the Saran Wrap method did nothing for me just like Roxie said I was a sweaty mess with puffy damp roots...not a good look.

I like heat. Yeah, I said it! :lachen:

Seriously, even before I wore short hair, I always flat ironed or curled my hair and I never suffered any breakage. I'm not really a ponytail person, so some heat was always required to style my hair.

I like the polished look that only heat (both direct and indirect) can give. I never planned to jump on the no-heat bandwagon for that reason.

WELCOME TO THE HEAT MISFITS THREAD! We must unite, lol. :drunk::spinning:

I like heat too...a little too much, always have but now I think that I handle it alot better. I use a good heat protectant and a good iron that only requires one pass over the hair and I don't do it more than once a week.
I resisted the direct heat urge yesterday and rollerset my hair using Gioivanni Direct Leave in and Sebastian Potion #9 (thanks for the hot review Roxie) and I didnt go under the dryer I just airdried my roller set and after several hours I took down the rollers and because my roots are texlaxed I used my Chi to straighten the roots and then wrapped my hair. I came out very good.

Also, the Saran Wrap method did nothing for me just like Roxie said I was a sweaty mess with puffy damp roots...not a good look.

Glad you like the Potion 9, it's like heaven in a bottle. I find that since it's so protein packed that I like to use a dab of Salerm 21 afterwards to counter any drying effects it may have. But my relaxed strands probably can use the extra protection and strengthening. Your hair is so lovely and thick:yep:.

yeah, I find that I don't need protein as much as I thought I did when I first came to this board. Turns out that I really need moisture more than anything else. At the most a light protein like Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor.
What kind of flat iron are you using?

My hiar doesn't like air drying. I have tried every technique in the book, but my hair just doesn't like it. (Except for when I do wash and go's. But that's cuz I have SO my product in my hair.) So I have to either sit under my dryer or rollerset/flat iron.

The ONLY time I can halfway get away w/ airdrying is when I'm 1-3 weeks post. After that, naw homey... :nono:

I just try to pay attention to my ends, rarely blowdry AND flat iron, only flat iron once a week, use a heat protector and keep my irons as low as realistically possible.

heat is my hair's best friend. I use heat faithfully after every wash, indirect or direct. I never have any problems, splits, or damage. *thrusts fist into the air* MISFIT :grin:

I'm transitioning and for a long time I've felt that my hair enjoys heat in moderation. I use to wash DC, blow dry & then flat iron once a week.

Air drying is a problem:nono: The more methods Nd things I try the more I want to reach for the blow dryer.

I am joining the 'I love heat' gang!

I'm convinced this is why being natural and the whole wash n Go/airdrying thing didn't work for me - infact it was like it was destroying my hair.

When i was first relaxed i would rollerset and flat iron my hair twice a week and my hair was fine - the only thing i didn't do was trim.

This time around i'm going to do the same thing (i have safety in numbers thanks to this thread!!!) and of course keep up with the trims.

Like others have mentioned some hair just needs to be kept sealed and smooth and heat is the only thing that can do that.

Air drying gives me frizzy ends and stiff hair. My hair is always bouncy after a rollerset/flat iron. But I only use heat once every 21/2 months

I think its the reason I put myself on NO direct heat personal challenge.

I've never been the type to overuse heat. I don't use curling irons never been a fan. But i do own a flat iron and professional blow dryer.

I even locked up my flat iron and blow dryer so I wouldn't use it because I want to see if my hair thrives more.

I've been so tempted to unlock them as rollersetting does take a decade to do :wallbash: and not to mention airdrying takes 6-7 hrs alone cuz my hooded dryer is in Chicago and won't be here until June 6th went my aunt brings it to me

I'm on a 6 month relaxer stretch (16weeks post at this time) I'm trying different airdrying styles. bantu knots took me 13 hrs of airdrying and still werent completely dry.

My thing is avoiding constant trimming or having to seek out splits constantly ... but i think I'm a misfit for heat. I miss my dominican blowouts. :rolleyes: straight hair....i miss it as well:yep:

<<in my mind --i'm telling myself no direct heat will be good...but these pics here on LHCF say otherwise...the direct heat keeps calling me it haunts me in my sleep...:look:>>

Yeah I partially/ full airdry when I have nothing else to do and don't want to sit under the dryer. Before I started rollersetting it was a interesting site to say the least. I like the rollerset with flat iron (if I flat iron) though. I have tried the saran wrap and just can't get them right IMO.

Back