Does anyone here feel line NO HEAT doesn't work for them?

Re: Does anyone here feel like NO HEAT doesn't work for them?

(PS - pardon the typo in the title, I swear I'm such a blond sometimes)

:ohwell: Yeah so today is my hair washing day... Sundays I like to wash/DC/pamper and baby my hair as though I'm at the salon. I really look forward to it and my hair thanks me for it....

Today I decided to try to continue on my week's quest for NO HEAT... Earlier this week some of you may have witnessed my pics of my first WNG, and it was cute, but I find that it requires too much manipulation and the possible need for hair gel... lol Today as I was doing my S&D, I saw a few splits, which ok I know is normal, but I watch my ends pretty carefully and I didn't notice as many the last time I checked. This week I co-washed or DC around 4x, and I only used direct heat 1x. I think this is way too much for my hair which is fine and dense 3c/4a combo. I REALLY tried to do the whole roller set thing, and rocked it for a while, but it takes SOOOOO LONG from start to finish I just feel I don't have the patience anymore and I CANNOT, I repeat CANNOT for the life of me wrap and saran wrap my hair to save my life. Each time it comes out a sweaty HAM with hair that doesn't properly lay down or swing quite right when I take it down. It just kind of plasters to my forehead along with the beads of sweat... And the middle gets poofy...

I'm finding that my hair really thrives more if I flat-iron. Strange huh :ohwell::look:. I've gotten this down to a "T." I sit under my soft bonnet dryer attachment with my ionic blow dryer, then when about 70% or so dry, I continue to blow dry on a warm heat/low speed setting so it's a nice tepid breeze that results in moisturized and shiny hair (surprised me, I only started using the dryer within the last 2 weeks since my hooded Hot Tools dryer had broken), and then I flat iron (or what I'm now seeing called "silken") my hair with a low/moderate temp ionic/tourmaline flat iron.

I loose no hair in the process (rollersetting/wrapping I see TONS of tiny breakage from the wrapping/manipulation), my hair stays pretty moisturized, and I'm not seeing any ill effects. I know people avoid heat like it's the plague around here and I keep asking myself am I fooling myself and just setting myself up for trouble down the line or should I keep trying to "do me." I've been deciding to do me after failing straight out of Bootcamp ONCE AGAIN after the first week:rolleyes:, lol. (I'm such a pathetic heat wh*re it keeps calling my name and I keep running to it :master:)

I know I can't be the only one... Who are the other secret heat lovers out there!? Come on it's time to OUT yourself...:grin: And what are your methods for safe usage? Have you seen any ill effects or is your hair thriving?

I swear we r just alike. Even the process we do to straighten is the same. I agree with each n every word in this post. My hair went from APL to BSL in less than 6 months and my hair is relaxed colored, and I flat iron weekly. I could not go back to rollersetting because it dries my hair out, I get breakage, my hair takes 3 effin hours to dry and most of all- I HATE IT lol

Oh and must I add, even with heat, I dust/trim 2-3 times a year. Thats it.:drunk:

Last edited:
I am also a secret heat lover. I am 2 sweat beads away from failing Boot Camp :nono:. I love my hair when it's flatirnoned and reversion is not as bad as when I rollerset. I really think my hair just likes being sealed by heat. It stays moist and shiny and doesn't get those lil knots on the ends as easily either.

Last edited:
I dint think airdrying is for me,But that doesnt mean I will give it up completely 'ill just do it every once and a while:ohwell:

Dangit, I like the blow dryer! I don't blow dry my hair straight or anywhere near it. I don't use a brush or comb or comb attachment either. I just grab a section of hair, stretch it out, and blow dry it. I can do my whole head in 10-15 minutes, though the roots are usually a little damp still. But just that little bit is enough to stretch my hair enough so it tangles less and also keeps me from having a wet head for the next 4-10 hours (depending on how I style). That little bit of heat is not enough to damage my hair, but it's enough to help it and I like it!

I'm trying to figure out whether or not my hair liked heat too. I think for some people with porous or very coily hair, straightening with moderate heat to seal the cuticles and prevent tangles to grow hair may be the lesser of two evils,.

I'm trying to figure out whether or not my hair liked heat too. I think for some people with porous or very coily hair, straightening with moderate heat to seal the cuticles and prevent tangles to grow hair may be the lesser of two evils,.

ITA...my daughter has hair that thrives with heat....everytime I let it airdry there's breakage on the ends but when I use the blow dryer to dry the hair then style it it thrives and her ends stay full and thick

The saran wrap method doesn't work for me...I've tried it a few times and I get bad results each time...stiff, puffy hair :nono:

Heat for me is good. I use a flat iron1x per week with chi silk infusion and 44 iron guard and my hair loves it. It seems last year I used more product. I too like the Potion 9 but only use it occassionally as my hair does not do well with protein "leave ins". It is has done a complete 360 since last year when I used no heat and had slow growing fast drying out hair.

I definitely feel as though my hair does better with heat. When I was in college I didn't use a blow dryer or flatiron for 3yrs. Strictly rollersets, but I never retained any length. My senior year I decided to give the old blowdryer and flatiron a try just from shear laziness of not wanting to sit under the dryer and my hair finally began to grow. Now I'm BSL in the back, the longest it's been in years and I don't rollerset. Not only do I see little broken hairs everywhere when I rollerset but it takes forever to dry! So for now, im sticking to what's showing some results.

I definitely feel as though my hair does better with heat. When I was in college I didn't use a blow dryer or flatiron for 3yrs. Strictly rollersets, but I never retained any length. My senior year I decided to give the old blowdryer and flatiron a try just from shear laziness of not wanting to sit under the dryer and my hair finally began to grow. Now I'm BSL in the back, the longest it's been in years and I don't rollerset. Not only do I see little broken hairs everywhere when I rollerset but it takes forever to dry! So for now, im sticking to what's showing some results.

Wow! That's amazing. Congratulations on your growth. Your hair looks great.

This story defies the LHCF rule book :lachen:. No heat= breakage, and heat = growth. Maybe I'm not crazy in thinking a regimen that includes some heat is good for me, LOL.

I def. need some heat to keep my hair moisturized for more than 3-4 days. Now that it's summer, I airdry way more, but that also means I have to wet it/wash it more, whereas if I rollerset, dry under a dryer, and then flatiron roots, I don't have to wash my hair till 7-8 days later, as it doesn't get as dry faster. I also think what contributes to no 'dryness' with heat is that I can moisturize my entire head at night easier, since there are very few tangles to combat when compared to airdrying in a ponytail.

Back