does anyone have a GOOD relationship with a stylist?

So?

• No - I had a bad experience and now I look before I leap.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • No - I had a bad experience and now I'm a DIYer.

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • No - I just don't want to risk it.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Yes - I choose carefully.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Yes - I have a longstanding/long term relationship with my stylist.

Votes: 24 43.6%

• Total voters

nodisrespect

i see so much stylist bashing that i have to believe there are some people out there who are happy going to salons. i personally will choose to be a DIYer over going to the salon, but i know ALL stylists cant be bad...

...right :look:

Hi here I have a GREAT stylist! :grin:

She has been my friend for 9 years and i just started going to her this past spring. She is caring, listens to you, gentle, great styler, doesn't overbook clients, is considering of your time and very reasonable in price.

I'm a DIYer too but one thing I don't think I'll ever want to do is trim my own hair.

When she trims, she puts a white towel on your back (she trims hair dry) and gives you a mirror so you can see how thin/thick your hair is. Then she agrees with you on how much to trim and lets you watch her while she does it!

So she will see me twice a year and I'll have a smile on my face!

I have a great stylist, just don't have a reason to see her very often. Besides trims, I'm usually a DIYer.

I have a great stylist. But I pick and choose wisely what I go to her for. I only go to her for my weaves and to wash it, blow it out etc.

I just recently found a great stylist two weeks ago! She can style and into healthy hair care. I liked her attitude because she listened and didn't act like a "miss know it all."

As I was getting my hair done I noticed that her black clients had healthy APL or longer hair....I knew that I was in the right place:grin:!

I told her that I did not want a trim and she did not trim. However, she did explain to me why I should not go too long without a trim and her explanation made perfect sense to me. I will let her dust my ends at the next visit.

I don't go to the salon very often anymore but when I do and it's not the Dominican spot, I go to my good friend. She's really into hair health and is always open to new ideas/products/techniques. I was telling her about the board and she wanted to join, but wasn't sure how receptive people would be if they knew she wasn't black :rolleyes: I told to get over herself and come share and gain knowledge. I love her to death and she's the only person I trust to trim my ends.

Balisi is a stylist who is also a member of this forum, and I love going to her. She's great! I'm trying to be more of a DYIer though, so I haven't been to her in a while.

I have a great stylist. She is very gentle with my hair, only relaxes when I really need it, and actually knows how to trim, not cut my hair.

i love my stylist!!! she really cares about my hair. I've only been seeing her for about 7 months but already my hair is healthier due to her and my practices. She started me off on better products too. Also the plus is when I really decide to transition she does natural hair too! I heart her!:grin:

I am a stylist, but I have two people I go to. One is a young lady that I work with. She styles my hair. I just recently had her cut my hair and put my layers in. She cut a little more than I wanted, but I really needed it. My ends were fried, dyed and chewed up from me allowing another stylist putting color and highlights on my hair and not telling me the truth that it wouldn't be a good idea, not that I didn't know this, but my hair was already alot more damaged than I realized. I learned my lesson, red hair color fades too darn quick for me and makes my hair look as dry as the sahara desert.

My other stylist has been doing my hair since I received my licsene(sp) seven years ago. I learned alot from her. She is a great stylist and is pretty much the only person I allowed to cut my hair, until recently. She kept my hair healthy, until I started to experiment with my hair and did more damage than good. Now I am back at square one. I have got to start back going to her.

I love this board because I learn so much from everyone here. I learn different techniques, about new products, new concoctions to mix together and the best thing is that I learn how to improve on my customer service skills with my current and new clients and that is ALWAYS a plus.

For that ladies, I thank you!:grin:

I had a wonderful stylist in NY, but she left the shop :( I mean she really taught me a lot about her techniques and would give me free products for my hair to try because she knew that I was living out of state. Don't you know she even contemplated moving out to where I am?? I told her that there are NO Dominican stylists out here and that she would do really well. She was considering the move, but by the time I went back on my next yearly visit to NY she was no longer working there. I should have gotten her info when I had the chance. There are other good stylists that I've had there, but not the same. The others that I've had just seem to be friendly to get you in and out, not really caring all that much about your hair or anything, just robotic :ohwell:

MR2 Hair & Nail Salon

For those of you who are interested in finding a good hair stylist in Los Angeles, I highly recommend Rudy of MR 2 Hair and Nail Salon, located at 3852 Crenshaw Boulevard (two blocks north of King Boulevard on the east side of the street--across from Angelus Mortuary). His phone numbers are (323) 294-1712 and (323) 292-7714.

I've been going to him since 1990, and I highly recommend him for the following reasons: He is not a "scissor-happy stylist;" (you will reach your hair goals); his customers have been with him for a very long time, and their hair is healthier and longer than other stylist's customers; he won't tear your hair out while handling it; he doesn't press the hair "bone straight" to the point where there's no body; he's moderately priced; and he allows you to bring in your own hair care products. Let him know in advance if you want to continue to use your staples.

He offers tips that are beneficial for your hair. In addition, he's very mild tempered and patient. So for those of you who are fed up with your "scissor-happy stylist," try Rudy.

I posted two horrible experiences in a related thread (by subject, not poster) but I do have one now I see for trims (until I master them) who I can actually trust. He's great! :grin:

I love my stylist.

I met her backstage at a fashion show. She touched up my hair. My old stylist had just done it and it was already frizzy. I have been going to here ever since.

She is really attentive. She writes down my hair's progress in a book . She always ask me what I want done and makes sure she asks me again before she starts.

I loved my stylist and used her for about 10 years. She did my first weave after about 5 years of doing my relaxed hair. She retired though and moved out of state. :sad:

I never left her salon without getting compliments from random strangers on the street about how great my hair looked. One guy even rambled for 10 minutes in McDonald's about how nice it was to see a woman grow her hair so long (it was fusion :lachen:)

She is really good and was always booked solid but would take me at 7 a.m. on Saturday or on the days the salon was normally closed (Mondays). I was in her chair once at 4 a.m. before leaving to go out of town for the holiday since I could not go away for weeks w/o my new fusion install. She was always accomodating for me and lots of other clients too from what I could tell.

I recommended her to many people who kept using her for years.

Yes, I loooooooove my stylist! :yep: She has moved 3 hours away, and yes, I travel, high gas and all, to continue to see her (doesn't hurt that there's an outlet mall nearby) :look:. Because of her moving, I now stretch to relaxing every 14 weeks as opposed to every 8, as well as color touch ups 3x/year as opposed to 5x/year. So with fewer salon visits the cost of gas is just about absorbed, and my hair is even healthier for it. YES SHE IS WORTH THE DRIVE. :yep::yep:

She listens to me, DOESN'T CHOP unless I need to (light trim), uses Aveda products, has a sweet personality and CAN STYLE. It is hard to find a stylist who can both care for your hair and style. Before I settled for stylists who cared for the hair, but left me looking like Grandma Moses. :nono:

Matter of fact, I just set 2 appointments to go see her next month - relaxer TU and highlights TU. :grin::grin::grin:

The place I used to go to (Gifted Hands in Hackensack, NJ) was GREAT!!!

Shamboosie worked at a shop down the street from this one and he recommended I go to her-- he trained her so shes great!

As soon as you walk in she asks you what YOU want, what you have been doing with your hair, and what treatments you will have today. She did steam treatments on me and she sometimes used Dudley's PCA (or whatever that is called)

I will probably go back to her when I get to around BSL but I wanted to take a long hiatus from heat.

I have the best stylist ever. I moved out of state :ohwell: so I don't get to see her and I don't trust anyone else. So I had to be more of a DIY'er than I already was.

Balisi is the best stylist ever,I'm so happy that I found her. She is very professional, kind, considerate, and informative. She is also a joy to talk to, it's feels like I've known her for years even though I've just met her last September. I'm happy to have her as my stylist.

I love my stylist :yep:. She's a natural who is totally into healthy hair. I just started going back to her in May of this year due to several setbacks that I had while doing my own thing. She's not scissor happy and does an excellent job with taking care of my hair. I still plan on seeing her even after I reach my goals.

i'm a DIYer as well, but i love my current stylist. i don't see her often, just when i need my hair shaped up. although she is relatively inexpensive, i should prolly see her more often as a treat to myself :grin:

My stylist is great. I have been going off and on to her since i was 13 (I'm 22 now). She always does what i ask with my hair, there are never any complaints. I went to her back in November to have my hair evened out from a trim gone bad that my aunt did. I was about 6/7 months post relaxer and she was very gentile with my hair. She had no problem with my telling her to do certain things while washing and blowing my hair out. She is the best. I go into the shop every once in a while now and she loves feeling my new growth. She supports me with my transition 100%

When i was in highschool I went to a stylist that was big on low heat. She used top notch products in my hair and taught me so much; like using silk scarves and watch out for gel with alcohol. My hair was never healthier. But her shop closed down and i couldnt find her again.

I have a great relationship with my two dominicans hair stylist, they respect my hair and myself. If i don't want to cut my ends, she understands and tells me to better take care of them. One of them move to another state, but im fortunate that the other one remains here. :grin:

Yes/No. I have a decent relationship with my stylist. She's a great one.

But I trust her to an extent. I know she'll do what's best for my hair, but she also has to look out for herself. She tells me that I need to relax every 4 weeks. But I KNOW better. She also wants me to believe that I can't do my hair myself (this was after I had messed up my hair flat ironing, and she saw a lot of breakage). But I knew that the only way I was going to learn how to successfully do my own hair; was to do it myself!! I'd tell her that I can't afford to come every week. But the truth is that I want and like to do it myself. She won't take care of my hair like I will. And she doesn't provide much tips; and she certainly can't compare to the info that I learn on here!

So, yes, I trust her, and I won't go to anyone else. But I won't take what she says as gospel either. I also trust myself....I knew I shouldn't have flat ironed my hair!! See what happens when you don't listen to yourself. That's the first and last time a flat iron will damage my hair!! :wallbash:

I have a great relationship with my stylist! She is very knowledgeable and doesn't chastise me for stretching too long or for wanting to transition. Instead, she will offer suggestions about what to do in between appointments. I've been going to her since 2006 and have even recommended her to some of my friends. I'm really happy to have found a stylist who cares about the health of my hair!

I've been going to my stylist since 1983 (except for when she moved out of town and when I was in college). She is into hair care, uses great products (mostly Aveda), and has taught me a lot. She is timely, professional, and personable. She's gentle and styles well. My only complaints are that she can be scissor happy (so now I do my own trims), and I'm not sure she likes doing long hair:ohwell:. Not a REAL problem yet as I'm only just past SL, but as my hair gets longer I can't see myself trusting anyone besides her.

Back