• 3-5 time per year

Votes: 40 24.0%
  • Once or twice a year

Votes: 28 16.8%
  • Never

Votes: 65 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I visit my stylist more like 3-5 times a year for relaxer touchups and trims or rare special occasions only.

The YT video is awesome. I was looking at it earlier this week.

I'm sure you aren't doing as bad as you think. Its all about practice and not being afraid to get in there. Where do you think you run into problems? For me, if I don't detangle well then the end result is always unflattering. It doesn't matter if I do everything else right.

With straightening I just think it's technique. I don't have the comb chase method down so even if the rest of my hair looks straight my ends look bad. Products is probably my other downfall. I'm still experimenting with what works best with my hair and how much of a product to use. I think a lot of times I'm using too much.
Now with the other types of styles (twists, braids, buns etc.) I think I just have clumsy hands-lol. My hair never looks neat and it makes me occasionally want to end my HHJ. I feel like it's not worth it to have long hair if it is going to always look busted. I'm still trying though!

I haven't gone to the stylist since before I went natural. I cut/style my own hair. I used to be "styling challenged" as well. If I don't know how to do a style I either learn it or K.I.M NOBODY touches my hair but me.

I go 4 times a year for a relaxer. My last 2 visit I stopped him from cutting my hair and now I can see the growth. Sometimes my ends look the fly and sometimes it doesn't. If I do flat iron and do the chase comb method my ends looks good or if I put on ceramides like wheat germ oil *boy it stinks*. I am not much a stylist for my own hair, majority of the time it is in a ponytail or at home if in a tank top I will let it hang so the ends are exposed. I too have problems styling. I am relaxed I tried braid outs and it didn't look good. I will keep on trying but for me I will not increase my visits to the hair salon.

I voted 3-5 times a year, and I only go to get my hair retouched and blown out. I don't trust myself to do it, and I love how they do my hair at the salon. If I had the means and opportunity, I'd go monthly. But since I don't, and I've learned to do basic things at home (thanks to LHCF :grin:), I don't need to go outside of those touch-ups trips.

Never however I will find a stylist to do my cornrows because I cannot braid to save my life but as far as trims I think not..............

For the most part I've always been a DIY'er. Now that my hair is natural rather than relaxed, I just have to learn new styles and techniques, no biggie!

I once had a brief flirtation with salons, hoping that they would be able to help me grow my hair, but in the end that didn't work out as well as I had anticipated. So now I have no interest in going to salons at all.

I selected once per month. At this point, I prefer stylist to relax. I'm now comfortable trimming my own hair. Thanks to Tracyee, (KISS) I dust and destroy which makes hair smoother looking. I now love trimming my own when needed.

India

Anytime I go to a good salon my hair thrives,its usually soft,beautiful and perfectly clean for a week+ ,I think that's due to the fact their routine is pretty simple and don't overdo it with conditioning treatments,they put just enough whereas I put a lot. As far as trimming ,its necessary ,raggedy ends don't look good and as much as we want to keep hold of that little bit of see through strands we need to let go and trim it so that the hair looks even,full and healthy.
I normally trim my hair twice 3 times a year.I ve done a major cut in may and loved it(cut it into a long layered bob),my hair is growing back now and I ve scheduled a trim for october .so in order to be happy w a salon service u have to find a good one and stick to it.
What to look for:
-professionalism and punctuality ;if the stylist is busy w other client she should make sure u don't wait over 40 mins and apologize afterwards.if this happens all the time she prob cherish her money more than her customers time.
-Focus and pay attention to what u need.
-doesnt eat while she doin your hair.
-not judgmental about your hair and won't try to change it.
-while processing your hair she has a timer that will beep when the product needs to be rinsed out.

i voted never BUT maybe once i reach one of my goals, preferable MBL i might consider a stylist once every few months.. i honestly dont feel a stylist will help me reach my goals.. right now im about health over style anyway so once i reach my goals on my own, i'll consider a well researched stylist/hair care professional for "style".. say for instance if i want layers for some reason.. or highlights.. great thread!!

I have had my hair thrive with certain stylists. I've been going to the salon weekly ever since I decided to transition. The salon specializes in straightening natural hair and steam treatments, they do not do any kind of chemical straightening services. My hair is doing well so far, this past weekend I hit one year post relaxer and my hair is so shiny, full, and healthy.

I do plan to start cutting back on visits and trying more non-straight styles. I recently took a break and got braid extensions for a month

I will NEVER put my hair in someone else's hands again! :nono:

Haven't been to a salon in 7 years and my hair has never been healthier. I style my own hair and even do my own trims, weaves and micro braids. I taught myself. (Neatness inevitably comes with practice.)

So far I've been 3 times this year. For the last few years I've been going to the salon on avg 5-7 times a year. Relaxer touch ups, trims, and special occasions.

ummm in almost 20 years i've been to a salon less than 20 times. i went maybe 3x before i got a relaxer for press n curls. i got my 1st relaxer (age 12) at a salon, then i used to get it done maybe 2x a yr at a salon, then i went to the dominican salon i think 3x, i got my hair cut at a salon, and went back to the same one 2 more times...i havent been to a salon since last september, and that will probably be my last one for a very long time. my mom used to press my hair or braid it up, so the only time i went to a salon was for special occasions when i wanted to feel grown up, or when she was tired. when i got older she did all of my retouches, and roller sets, and i would blow-dry & flat iron.

I haven't been to the salon in about 5-6 years! When I was a young teen.

My mom forced me to relax my hair when I told her I wanted to go natural, and I didn't know how to transition.

My hair started to break, my mom started to get angry, and forced me to go to the salon to get a relaxer.

And she made me pay myself.:mad::sad:

He -the stylist- was great however. :look: If he knows how to do transitioning hair, I'll look him up again. :yep:

I went to first years of being natural not going to the salon but then I stumbled upon dontspeakdefeat's salon and now I'm a regular. My hair loves her!!!

I go everytime I get a relaxer and when I am going to take professional pictures or when DH pays for me to go. I acutally love my stylist she is one of the few who does what she is suppose to do.

It'll be two years since I have been to a salon. Once I went natural I taught myself how to do everything I needed to do. I highlighted my own hair. Otherwise, I never really went to the salon for anything besides my relaxers. It has saved me $ I can say that much!

I've been twice this year to get my weave installed but I did all the prep work at home. I went twice last year (once for a flat iron job and once for a weave). I don't ever plan on going more than 2-3 times a year.

I now have a church member (cosmetologist) that does the two-step henna/indigo process on my hair every three months. I invite her to my home and show her all my hair goodies. I also show her this forum. I pay her forty dollars. Plus we have lunch, watch a movie together and practice our songs (we are on the praise team).

I do not let her style my hair, I do that on my own. I don't think I'll let a stylist touch my hair again to style, wash or set it. There is another church member cosmetologist that would like to do my hair but I've had way too many setbacks to let another touch meeeeh.

Unless I'm getting braids, I don't let stylists touch my hair. And I haven't had my hair braided in a year. I'm at a point where I don't like anyone's hands in my hair except mine. DH is an exception because he does great scalp massages.

I used to go once a week before joining LHCF and now I go about once or twice a year for a little trim or so. But that's about it. Everything else is done by me.

Back