Does anyone actually enjoy taking care of their hair?

Sometimes I enjoy and other times I am not in the mood to wash, deep cond etc, but I force myself to becaus I know I want to reach my goals.

The thing I find most frustrating though is that I am still washing / conditioning etc etc to achieve a goal, I am looking forward to the day I have reached my 'ideal hair' goal and I will be taking care of it just to maintain it.

HQ

Only in the winter because I have more time. Now I'm to busy trying to be someplace that I rush when I do my hair so it seems more like a task to me

I actually do now. I used to dread washing 3 times a week, but now that I airdry twice a week and set it once (on Saturdays), it's a breeze. I enjoy seeing the progress that my hair has made.

Always have always will. Now sometimes the level of involvement may change. But I love to do, mess with, straighten, flat iron, conditioner wash, flat twist, cornrow, two strand twist my hair. And not only do I like to do my hair, i like doing other peoples hair! Really! It's my stress reliever. I jump up and down when someone asks me to do thier two strand twists.....

I think i might become a trichologist :p

sweetcakes14 said:
I actually do now. I used to dread washing 3 times a week, but now that I airdry twice a week and set it once (on Saturdays), it's a breeze. I enjoy seeing the progress that my hair has made.

I agree with you. I used to dread it because it seemed more like a chore and I could not seem to get a good schedule going. An finally after 1 decent hair day, I would have to wash. Now, I look forward to wash days. I love to deep condition while I walk on my treadmill.

My hair has improved so much!

I like washing and conditioning my hair but thats about it. I dont like styling my hair it takes to long. After I twist my hair I leave it alone until the next wash day. I wear a head wrap daily so I dont have to mess with it. Im so lazy. My SO made me do something with my hair this weekend.
I am puting a weave in it and visiting my stylist bi-weekly so I dont have to touch my hair for a while.

At first it was like, "oh gosh it's hair day again," now I can't wait for hair day, I have gained so much moisture and softness my hair just does what I want. I haven't used heat in sooooo long, except for my last relaxer day, but that was it, it air dries so straight I can just do w/o it, now I long for relaxer day to see how much I've gained and retained, lol. It's just apart of my regular schedule and doesn't feel so much like a chore anymore.:)

Nope, not me. I'd rather be reading a book, hiking someplace pretty or cooking a good meal. I am enjoying the results though. Its just that I can never slack off. If I don't keep it moisturized and conditioned, it won't style right and it'll start breaking.

I enjoy caring for my hair 90% of the time but, admittedly, it's the goals and the "journey" that make it interesting for me. But, I would rather read about, talk about, shop about and perform rituals about my hair more than any other "hobby". :D

I love love love caring for my natural hair. It's almost like a hobby for me and if it never got any longer (although I'm sure it will) then I'd continue to love it just as much. ;)

I hate hair!! It is such a chore. I can't ever acheive the results I get at the salon. It seems to always be dry. Maybe once I find a routine that works I will enjoy taking care of my hair more.

Same here Sylver2 and Kizzylonghair. My hair has not been this length in a while and it feels good to see it's progression. It's work but anything worth having will take work. ;)
kizzylonghair said:
I am right with you Sylver.
Seeing that what I am doing itsnt in vain makes me what to continue, even if its a pain sometimes

Kizzy

Last edited:
i love taking care of my hair like 70% of the time because its a part of me and something that i like to care for and see thrive and look nice and get compliments for it...but the other 30% is trying to find and trust someone to do my hair...paying to get my hair done...buying products(pjism)...wondering what i should do with my hair(its at a in between phase where im frustrated about it)...having to argue with my mom about paying for my hair and hair to be done...and listening to my Nanny's sly comments about when i did have hair and how long my sisters hair is and how beautiful it is..and how mine wouldve been that way if we wldnt have let someone get in it(now lets see we are talking about over 16 to 18 years ago)...

I was enjoying it until recently, when it started breaking for seemingly no reason at all... I went through EVERYTHING in my regimen to figure out the culprit... I figured it was protein in my "daily" products, so I got rid of stuff - but I STILL have the breakage!... So I have just decided not to care so much, and just focus on something else (like a career change)... becase quite honestly, this hair thing had been taking up WAY TOO MUCH TIME and mental energy!

I do! I love dealing with my hair. I can do without the detangling part of all of it though :grin:

Now, if I knew my hair wouldn't get any longer by caring for it this way--I would still do what I'm doing b/c Lord knows I want to keep what I do have. It might not grow another inch, but as we all know it sure can get shorter and more damaged without any effort . . . and it'll do that with the quickness. :lol:

I do enjoy taking care of my hair, especially with all the stuff I've learned. I do admit that sometimes I get really lazy (in Winter) and I'll just keep it braided all winter.

I love shampooing and, then deep conditioning my hair with a heat bonnet. The extra heat feels so soothing during the winter- I tend to sit there for at least an hour or more. :)

The co/w work for me, I've started my sister doing them and she loves it her hair has grown so much

secretdiamond said:
...Taking care of my hair has made me more anal about the condition of my hair and things that never bothered me b4 now irritate the crap outta me. I can't fully enjoy life like I use to. I'm constantly trying to take better care of my hair not to grow my hair longer, but to retain what I do have and make it healthier. I've become like a hair perfectionist.

However, I do love the results of taking care of my hair because it all proves to be worth it when I get compliments from family to ppl on the street.

This sums it up for me. I used to comb and brush my hair with no thought about breakage, shedding, etc. My carpet was ALWAYS blanketed with hair, and I thought it was normal and went about my business. Now, when I lose any hair, I'm counting, looking for a bulb, worrying, and getting mad.

It's also frustrating because I feel like my hair was healthier when I went to the salon every 2 weeks. I know from this site that I can take better care of my hair than anyone else could, and it costs way less, but I feel like it's taking forever to figure out what my hair does and doesn't like. I guess that's why it's called a journey. :)

Overall though, I am enjoying it.

I am enjoying taking care of my hair. I always have in the past, I'm just doing it with more knowledge under my belt thanks to this forum. The only frustrating thing is that I grew may hair out from ear length to shoulder length last year and a SHS cut all of it off this past January!:crying3: So I've pretty much had to start all over again. :mad:

For the most part I like taking care of my hair, I would love it if it was longer there are so many things I could do to it. I have so many ideals in my head but right now I can't do nothing with this short stuff. But roll it up and deal with it. Its all very boring and I can't see the growth come in fast enough. Either I am going to get braids or cut it all off, I think I would be more upset if I cut it all off so I will just deal with it. I like to wash it and condition it but after that I wish I could snap my fingers and poof its done.

Still dont!! I cant seem to find a regimen/products that work. I dont know what to do with it sometimes and I wait until my hair is wet to go through that struggle. I am praying for divine intervention for 2006!

Trudy said:
For the most part I like taking care of my hair, I would love it if it was longer there are so many things I could do to it. I have so many ideals in my head but right now I can't do nothing with this short stuff. But roll it up and deal with it. Its all very boring and I can't see the growth come in fast enough. Either I am going to get braids or cut it all off, I think I would be more upset if I cut it all off so I will just deal with it. I like to wash it and condition it but after that I wish I could snap my fingers and poof its done.

:lol: I feel that way sometimes.

But for the most part I enjoy taking care of my hair, I like CO Washes and Deep Conditioning. :)

Yes, I enjoy taking care of my hair. :yep: I've only started doing it since LHCF so the first part of my life was spent knowing nothing about real hair care, just going with the flow. This has been a major journey for me and I'm sure I'll enjoy it for the rest of my life. My favorite parts are washing and deep conditioning my hair, which I still do twice each week, and removing my hair rollers. I'm always open to learning much more about caring for my hair.

Back