Do you wear your scarf/bonnet and rollersets in public?

Do you wear your scarf/bonnet and or rollerset in public?

• Yes. I wear my scarf/bonnet where ever I want.

Votes: 26 9.4%
  • No. I would never wear a scarf/bonnet in public.

Votes: 162 58.5%
  • Yes. I wear my scarf/bonnet in public, but it depends on the place.

Votes: 79 28.5%
  • I don't wear scarves.

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Yes. I wear a rollerset anywhere and everywhere.

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • No. I never wear a rollerset in public.

Votes: 127 45.8%
  • Yes. I wear a rollerset in public, but it depends on the place

Votes: 19 6.9%
  • I don't rollerset.

Votes: 16 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've worn it all outside. The bonnet, the rollerset, the nighttime headwrap. It's a habit I picked up in college and it's never left me. I'm completely comfortable. Heck, I've even run to the store with a plastic conditioning cap on my head.

Suerte said:
:lachen:

I know I can't be the only one in Wal Mart @ 1am with my hair wrapped up.

For the ladies who say they NEVER do... you don't even have your hair put away to go pick up dry cleaning, or run into the 7-11, or go to the ATM machine, or into Mail Boxes Etc?

It would be impossible for me to be THAT pulled together and divaliscious at all hours of the day.

The only way I put my hair "away" is to put it up in a bun. I'm totally comfortable going all over town with my bun.

Okay, confession time.:lol:

I was deep conditioning my hair one evening when my little sister called in tears because she was stranded without a ride at some party. Long story...:look:

I took off my plastic cap, twisted my hair that was still saturated with conditioner up into a messy bun with a hair pin and hopped in the car. I seriously considered keeping my cap and hot towel on, but I just couldn't do it.

She did look at me like I was nuts when I showed up in my "deep conditioner bun".:lachen:

I know alot of us don't have time to do our hair, Well that is one reason I chose to go Natural, because for me it lessen time. I have Half a Dozen Kids and one that has a Spinal Disease and for me to try to primp and glamour up is just not it for me, But since I do have a Twa it has been such a Breeze since I can wash and go and look cute, but then they're times when I don't have the time and a pretty scarf is right there.

I had thougt about getting some nice wigs that way I will still look decent or like my hair is combed LOL!!!! But hey They could have bald spots, or something they don't want nobody else to see, and might cannot afford a wig. Some women might have had Cancer and don't want a wig and scarf might feels better for them. BUT!! You have some that are just lazy and don't want to comb their hair and I have been there too. So I mean alot of you say Never but when you have issues that will hit you and your Family the last thing you will think about is How your Hair Look. Well At least for me LOL!!

I Like this thread!! It is Funny to hear the Resposes!

I WOULD in extreme cases, very low-key places. Such as the corner store or to run to walgreens to get some band-aids or something.

I won't lie, every time I see someone with a scarf/rollers on in public in a high profile place (like a restaurant or the mall) I shudder inside and I have a hint of embarassment for them. It doesn't look good. But that's my opinion.

I wear a scarf in the gym. I wouldn't go out in rollers nowhere.

I've worn my bonnet outside to get the mail on occassion.

-A

LocksOfLuV said:
I won't lie, every time I see someone with a scarf/rollers on in public in a high profile place (like a restaurant o
Youre joking?
In a restaurant?
big_worm.gif

LocksOfLuV said:
I WOULD in extreme cases, very low-key places. Such as the corner store or to run to walgreens to get some band-aids or something.

I won't lie, every time I see someone with a scarf/rollers on in public in a high profile place (like a restaurant or the mall) I shudder inside and I have a hint of embarassment for them. It doesn't look good. But that's my opinion.

I Agree it doesn't look good in High Profile Places, I too was speaking of Low Key places. I guess that is where wigs come in for High Profile Places if something is going on with your hair/scalp.

OnAHairQuest said:
Youre joking?
In a restaurant?
big_worm.gif

Girl yes, restaurants not Mickey D's either, malls, the MOVIES:eek:. I just feel really embarassed for them.

This one girl that I saw int he mall had the nerve to have on her scarf AND her house slippers....:nono: It doesn't take much effort to slip on some shoes. It really doesn't.

NappyParadise said:
I Agree it doesn't look good in High Profile Places, I too was speaking of Low Key places. I guess that is where wigs come in for High Profile Places if something is going on with your hair/scalp.

Exactly....

But look at the poll, those women are out there. They just don't want to tell :lachen:

LocksofLuv! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! You are too much, I guess when you see someone with slippers on at the mall or houseshoes that seems to be just pure laziness, I mean they have flip flops to just slip on and go. But I wonder what do the Their SO/DH think, Mine told me he was sick of seeing that thing even though I didn't wear it much only to Low Key Places, my edges just looked horrible like a bird had been pecking at it and my DH said it was because of that scarf and I do believe he was right.

But to the Mall, movies, out for Family Time,etc.

NappyParadise said:
LocksofLuv! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! You are too much, I guess when you see someone with slippers on at the mall or houseshoes that seems to be just pure laziness, I mean they have flip flops to just slip on and go. But I wonder what do the Their SO/DH think, Mine told me he was sick of seeing that thing even though I didn't wear it much only to Low Key Places, my edges just looked horrible like a bird had been pecking at it and my DH said it was because of that scarf and I do believe he was right.

But to the Mall, movies, out for Family Time,etc.

WHAT!! LMAOOO!!!:lachen: Your Dh is crazy!!!:lachen:

Yes he is LOL!! & it wasn't nothing I could say because it was the truth LOL!!!!! you can see in my avitar that they are still kind of thin but they are coming back since the scarf has been used only at night now LOL!!!!!

Suerte said:

For the ladies who say they NEVER do... you don't even have your hair put away to go pick up dry cleaning, or run into the 7-11, or go to the ATM machine, or into Mail Boxes Etc?

It would be impossible for me to be THAT pulled together and divaliscious at all hours of the day.

Even at a 1:00 am wal mart run.....ummmm NOOOO! My mom has always taught me that you never know who you just might see. :eek:

I agree with another poster who said, I dont want someone I havent seen in 7 years to see me looking a HAM.

Now I dont look all divalicious...Just no scarf, rag, wrap cap, or rollers....No! lol

NappyParadise said:
Yes he is LOL!! & it wasn't nothing I could say because it was the truth LOL!!!!! you can see in my avitar that they are still kind of thin but they are coming back since the scarf has been used only at night now LOL!!!!!

What kind of scarf are you using? Is it a silk or satin one?

I've never worn scarf or rollerset out and I doubt I ever will. ITA with Letitia.
Letitia said:
Even at a 1:00 am wal mart run.....ummmm NOOOO! My mom has always taught me that you never know who you just might see. :eek:

I agree with another poster who said, I dont want someone I havent seen in 7 years to see me looking a HAM.

Now I dont look all divalicious...Just no scarf, rag, wrap cap, or rollers....No! lol

I wear a bonnet with a band around it. I always make sure the band is around my forehead and ears and not my hair line.

My hairline is kind of different, if I don't cover my hairline most of my hair in the front will be out. I have a V shaped hair line and my edges grow out further than the rest of my hair in the front.

The bonnet I got from Sallys I can pull it all the way down to my eyebrows, and I have a big ole watermelon head.

It covers everything.

Every Saturday I go to the gym- do my cardio- then I slather on Motions CPR and a plastic cap for a prepoo and then I sit in the steamroom. Then after I take my shower and get dressed I put on a turban and then I go the hairdresser for my weekly wash, set, and DC. That is the only place and time that I wear a bonnet/turban type thing on my head. Other than that NO.

You should see the people's face at the gym when I am walking out. The desk person always gives me a double take.

Girl Stop it! I have Big Ole 4head! I never seen any at Sally's, It is just my Line is just crazy, my edges almost can kiss my eyebrows then It goes into a V at my sideburns. I tried cutting them edges off one time but when I went to gell it back my hair lin looked like that Michael Myers mask from Halloween, and that was not pretty because I already have a fore head and that made it look like Dome.

Thanks! But I have a Satin Pillow Case but I sleep with my Ceiling Fan on.

I would say never but I did just yesterday. I was getting ready for a party and had a rollerset when I realized there were some things I needed. I really didn't want to go out looking like that but I really needed to get to CVS for some makeup so I went. It was funny because I live in a predominantly white neighborhood so rollersets are uncommon so I got some weird stares from my neighbors but my hair was bangin latter so it was worth it:lol: .

It is mainly an issue of culture. I remind a travel in the Dominican republic where a lot of women were readily living with their rollers Even young girl were showing in public with huge rollersets.
When I was young in Madgascar, I was often playing in the street with my friends with my rolerset and they were doing the same.
Obviously this is not the same context today in Paris where I live.
However I have kept the habit going out in rollers to te supermarket. Some people look at me with a strange look, but at the same time lot of middle age women have started discussing the matter with me because 20 years ago lot of them were rollersettng with the same type of rollers i am using (the big blue mesh) and at that time it was a common practice for girls or young women to do all their saturdy activities with their rollers on the head and a hairnet
Accordingly I even stopped trying to hide the rollers under a scarf !!

Suerte said:

I go to wal-mart at 6 pm with my rag on. I am comfortable on my off time after work. Take my hair down for some folks at the store who don't have to do my hair when I get home? PLEASE! It will stay in the black du-rag....

sholly6 said:
I do sometimes well most times lol, my son always tease me and said the other day do you every take your bonnet off?:eek:

My bonnet is bright yellow. Someone in undergrad. said I looked like big bird with that bonnet on. I switched to a black du-rag instead.

Back