Would you wear a satin bonnet out in public?

i have :look:

i got my hair done for my cousin's wedding, and i didn't want my pincurls messed up.

we drove from chicago to columbus for the wedding, and when we stopped to eat, i sure did get out of the car with my bonnet :lachen:

Yep, I do!!

When my hair is pressed straight, I keep a black satin bonnet in my bag. If its raining, I put it on AND use my umbrella. I think because the umbrella is so close to my head people cant really tell...but if they do oh well.....its worth it when I get to my destination with hair that is still swangin' :grin:

ETA: I dont wear it as an accessory though or inside any establishment. Its for temporary humidity blocking purposes ONLY.

CO-SIGN.

Since I started pressing my hair, I have silk bonnets in all my bags, ready to whip out at the mere mention of moisture!

I've also worn my bonnet over rollers to the laudrymat. I was going out later and wanted to be cute :blush:

I could never wear one in public. I don't ever wear mine to the mailbox 20 feet in front of my house. I always throw a hat over my bonnet before I step foot outside.

NO, NEVA EVA EVA!! I see them on chickenheads here in Philly all the time- well not as much as I used to. Can you believe they actually would get a bonnet that matched whatever they were wearing that day like it's part of their outfit?? It's such a mess to see it and I just want to run up to them and rip it off of their heads :nono:
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:over here crying!!!

No way! I would wear a satin scarf though if I suddenly had to reach out of the house for some reason and I had to wear it. Otherwise no, such things are to be worn indoors only:lachen:

Hellz no! That's what hats are for! Just last week on 34th street I saw this woman tippin' down the block with some short-shorts, spiked heels and a whole head of rollers. And she was with her man, just walking like it was nothing.
LOL!! Chile she was stylin! :lachen:

NOT IF I CAN HELP IT!

I had to get up early and go on a road trip with my SO and his friends I forgot to so something to my hair. I had to throw on a bonnet over my UGLY night braids because none of them would wait, I had already gotten up later then I should have.

I told my SO I would sit in the back and he looked at me like I was crazy and busted out in laughter.

I HATED getting out of the car to go to the restroom, I even thought about grabbing my conditioner and trying to figured if I could get this thick hair and my big head close enough to the faucet to try a REAL wash n go. :lachen:

I thought about how hard the water might be and me walking back with dripping hair and wet clothes was a no go :nono:

I'm actually guilty of wearing one in public and on multiple occasions. Just to the BSS, Chinese Restaurants, and places like that. Only when my hair isn't done. I'm scarf challenged. They always ride back, my head is shaped like an egg and I didn't want to tie my scarf the slave way. Nice scarves are expensive and I hate wearing them and I really can't find the rationale on dropping big bucks on something I don't even like and probably won't wear often. My bonnet cost me 2 dollars and it lasts me a good 3 months before it's really stretched out. The bonnet is just easier. No fumbling, no tying, you just pop it right on and you don't have to worry about it sliding back. I'm still going to continue to wear it. There are worser hair/fashion crimes than this one and I'm not trying to impress anyone. I'm also from Philly.

LMBO!!! GRANNY STYYYYLLLLE!!! lol, that had me rollin! That happened like last eyar after i had just finished doni my friends hair for prom and she covered it to keep it unseen and intact. We were out and my family invited us to dinner at a local pizza place. Imagine my fam's face when in we walk and she has on her HOT PINK satin bonnet. My mom tried not to stare. Afterwards, my mom told me to NEVER bring nobody wit me looking like that.....HILARIOUS!

It's not that strange to see where I'm from. I live in Florida and I see a lot of black women walking around with satin bonnets or doo rags on, especially if they haven't had enough time to do their hair or their hair is wrapped or has rollers in it. I remember this one time I had a lot of NG and I noticed that a lot of the other older black women at my job wore scarves or doo rags under their work hats occasionally, so I said to myself "Imma do it, too!" So I pranced into my job with my doo rag under my hat, feeling great--until one of my male co-workers looked at me and said "take that ugly thing off your hair". :blush: I felt so embarrassed that I immediately did so. Long story short: I'd never do it with a satin bonnet or a doo rag. Just a pretty scarf.

Last edited:
Honestly, I will wear a black scarf in a minute but I don't even like wearing bonnets at home. I own one and I hardly ever use it.

no no no no no i hate that bonnet with a passion the only person who ever sees me with it on is bf right before i drift off. mine is way ugly too its light blue with flowers on it and lace around the edge i look like an old woman if it didnt do so much for my hair i would take it out into the street and light it on fire.

i would so wear mine!!! I used to wear it to class everyday my freshman year of college lol i jus dont care and everyone that knows me knows i have nice hair underneath and thats all that matters

i have :look:

i got my hair done for my cousin's wedding, and i didn't want my pincurls messed up.

we drove from chicago to columbus for the wedding, and when we stopped to eat, i sure did get out of the car with my bonnet :lachen:

I would not , but for special occasion like alwazalady22 I think that I would do it .:grin:

Last edited:
I just remembered that I have worn my bonnet in public. It was on an 8 hour flight to London and the plane was full:lachen:. Got up to go to the bathroom with it on too. I didn't care then. It was all about the hair...I felt no shame. I'll take a scarf next time.

WHAT!?!

:stop: This is not a good look. :nono:

If my hair is wrapped up in a do-rag or I have my satin bonnet on (I just bought one and :love: it for INSIDE) and I have to check the mail or get something out of my car, I put my big summer hat on top and do what I gotta do.

If you are going to the BSS or to run errands, people, please, please PLEASE invest $20 in a wig. You can put it on in 10 seconds or less, and go about your business while your hair is still protected from winds, humidity, etc and can stay safely wrapped up.

There is just no excuse to walk around looking like a bag lady or you went off your psychotropic meds... :nono:

Come on now...

LoL

i usally look a Hot mess all the time in the summer so i dont have no shame in my game foreal(( AT HOME ONLY))
if i have Rollers on and its late at nite i would probably not care but if it was for like doing things in general through out the day i dont think so.... I would Get annoyed by it and end up Taking it off and Throwing it somewhere for real!:lachen:

heck yeah! if i have to walk to the corner store, i will throw that bonnet on in a second! i usually wear it if i don't feel like getting hit on, but this past weekend when i wore my bonnet in public, fools were still beeping! :lachen: guess i have to find a new disguise.

Back