Do you trust beautcian with their products?

Do you trust their products?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spencd

I have a problem with trusting beauticians with their products because I believe some of them lack the knowledge of good hair care. I live in BK, NYC where it is a beauty parlour on every block. Honestly it is at least 2-3 shops per block. I have been looking for a good beautician for at least 5 years and it is annoying me. Last year I was doing a good job with wash n set myself but the water did not agree with my hair anymore. I will look into shower filters soon.

Anyway, I take all of my products with me. Today, I was supposed to try this shop a lot of people have been raving about on here called Dominican Essence which is right up the block from me but was scared of using their products. The shop I go to I use my own products plus she does not charge me to sit under dryer.

Do you just trust beauticans products or bring your own? Before this site I took products but now I think I am really particular esp. when it comes to protein con and moisturizing con. I just don't think they know the difference.

I have a problem with trusting beauticians with their products because I believe some of them lack the knowledge of good hair care. I live in BK, NYC where it is a beauty parlour on every block. Honestly it is at least 2-3 shops per block. I have been looking for a good beautician for at least 5 years and it is annoying me. Last year I was doing a good job with wash n set myself but the water did not agree with my hair anymore. I will look into shower filters soon.

Anyway, I take all of my products with me. Today, I was supposed to try this shop a lot of people have been raving about on here called Dominican Essence which is right up the block from me but was scared of using their products. The shop I go to I use my own products plus she does not charge me to sit under dryer.

Do you just trust beauticans products or bring your own? Before this site I took products but now I think I am really particular esp. when it comes to protein con and moisturizing con. I just don't think they know the difference.

I've never been charged to sit under a dryer?!? Is that common?!?!
sorry, OT...but I do trust my (regular) stylist.

It took me a long time to find her, and she's great. She doesn't specialize in natural hair, :nono: but I like JPM products, which she uses, and I've never had a problem with them. I tried out a few different salons until I found her in 2003.

Since you know the product that you prefer, do you think that you could find a salon based upon the products that they use? Some product websites have a salon directory, that way you don't have to take your own, and you get the added benefit of having somone (usually trained by that product line's creators) to use the product effectively.

HTH :)
Good luck in your search!

sorry, OT...but I do trust my (regular) stylist.

It took me a long time to find her, and she's great. She doesn't specialize in natural hair, :nono: but I like JPM products, which she uses, and I've never had a problem with them. I tried out a few different salons until I found her in 2003.

Since you know the product that you prefer, do you think that you could find a salon based upon the products that they use? Some product websites have a salon directory, that way you don't have to take your own, and you get the added benefit of having somone (usually trained by that product line's creators) to use the product effectively.

HTH :)
Good luck in your search!
In the beginning of my hair journey i had never heard of such a thing neither. But now it is very common to be charged extra for deep conditioning. My stylist always reminds me that it's usually a charge but she doesn't charge me..:rolleyes:

I voted yes to trusting my beautician, but I only trust myself 100%...

Oh and I always got charged $5 for only 15mins of DCing :angry2: ...that's why I'm so glad I'm a DIYer now (except for relaxers & trims)

From my experience I think they only know when you need a dc for breakage and shedding and if they do know they will never say whether its protein or moisture you need, I think they dont want to educate too much or else we wouldnt need them because we would maintain our hair at home.
Now I do think the Dominicans are knowledgable about the need for protein or moisture just from my experience, but of course she didnt educate me on the difference, she just said my hair was too thin, meaning I needed more protein to thicken the strands and she recommended I buy a product and bring it in everytime.
But since Ive moved to ATL I havent found one I trust yet, so thats why Im here:yep:

Around my way the $5 seems like 5 minutes which is another reason why I miss being able to wash n set my own hair. I think some products are cheap in the dominican salon. I have bounced around so much trying to find a good spot and am not 100 satisfied. I thought I found this guy who charges $25 wash n set (expensive to me) but he did my relaxer and my hair is suffering. I am doctoring it back up to health and hope it will be good soon. Some places is only $2 more for dryer with your own products.

Anyway, do you trust all their products? Do you say to them when getting a protein treatment that they should follow up with moisturizer?

Some places mix products and I have no idea what they mixed. If we are talking about good hair care do you ask, bring your own, or just trust.

This is random, but I had an experience where I didn't know what products the beautician was using! She kept going in the back putting daps of products on her hand and I'm like what is she putting on my hair? I didn't even see products on her work station :nono:. Anyway, I did trust my beautician that I had for five years with the products that she used. But, I don't see anything wrong with you bringing on own hair products.

It depends on where you go, I've never been charged extra. But when I recommended a friend to my stylist she called me and was very happy to tell me she didn't have to pay extra for the DC.

I do trust my stylist's product choices, she uses mainly Kera Care (which is my favorite line btw), but she also uses a variety of natural products and oils as well. We communicate with each other very well too, IMO, we just had the conversation about protein versus moisture. If I don't trust a stylist and they aren't knowledgable then they never become my stylist, but I've always been that way. I'll leave a new shop if I don't like what I'm seeing, I don't want to pay my money to stop and ask why and what they are using or to have to constantly tell them not to use or do something. I hope that makes sense.

yes it makes perfect sense which is why I just take my own. I remember going to one shop and the keracare products were more money to use which mean the regular ones are some generic or off brand. I have been to so many shops over 5 years in hopes to find the one. I can just walk in and not take my own if I don't want. I will try a new one next week.

I do not trust them and that is sad to say because I am a stylist myself. I try to have the best in products and I try to use only all natural or organic that is better for you and the environment. I have worked with stylist or so called stylist that put on your head name brand products and not what worked with your hair. Just because it is name brand does not mean it is going to work on your type of hair. You have to first consult with your client to see there hair and what will work on them. I have my some of my products out on my station so when I am not there, people can see what products I use and they can say I want you to use a. b. c. on my hair. I let the people choose.

Also, a side note: you need to watch out for what stylists put in or on your hair! I tell you this because when I was in beauty school, we used to tell horror stories of what stylist would put on your hair when you were not looking or when you were talking on the phone or ect. They were not doing it to be mean. They thought that they were actually helping you!!

Last edited:
Around my way the $5 seems like 5 minutes which is another reason why I miss being able to wash n set my own hair. I think some products are cheap in the dominican salon. I have bounced around so much trying to find a good spot and am not 100 satisfied. I thought I found this guy who charges $25 wash n set (expensive to me) but he did my relaxer and my hair is suffering. I am doctoring it back up to health and hope it will be good soon. Some places is only $2 more for dryer with your own products.

Anyway, do you trust all their products? I trust some of the Dominican products mainly the ones with natural ingredients. I think the products they sell are expensive but I dont know what they actually used on my hair because they were in big squirt containers with no label. Out of the 5 products Ive purchased I can only swear by 1 and thats Rolland Una re-build therapy, that stuff makes my hair so soft and it corrected my weak hair problem after 2 uses.Do you say to them when getting a protein treatment that they should follow up with moisturizer? Knowing what I know now about moisture/protein balance I would, but I try to maintain that at home so when I go to the salon its only to get a relaxer and my ends trimmed.

Some places mix products and I have no idea what they mixed. And thats what scary about the bottles not being labeled u dont know what it is, I think I read somewhere on this site that the Dominicans use dishwashing liquid, I personally dont think its true, never smelled like it atleast.If we are talking about good hair care do you ask, bring your own, or just trust.I would bring my own in and just ask because u know what works best for your hair, some stylist are good about recommending something and explaining to you how it works and what kind of results you should have if they want to try a certain product on your hair. I also think some stylist arent focused on healthy hair, just how the style turns out or how they can make unhealthy hair look healthy.:ohwell:

Good luck finding someone! Ive been in Ga a year and Ive switched salons so many times, no one matches up to my stylist in florida, I went to her for 5 years and she knew my hair and what it needed.

I do not trust them and that is sad to say because I am a stylist myself. I try to have the best in products and I try to use only all natural or organic that is better for you and the environment. I have worked with stylist or so called stylist that put on your head name brand products and not what worked with your hair. Just because it is name brand does not mean it is going to work on your type of hair. You have to first consult with your client to see there hair and what will work on them. I have my some of my products out on my station so when I am not there, people can see what products I use and they can say I want you to use a. b. c. on my hair. I let the people choose.

Also, a side note: you need to watch out for what stylists put in or on your hair! I tell you this because when I was in beauty school, we used to tell horror stories of what stylist would put on your hair when you were not looking or when you were talking on the phone or ect. They were not doing it to be mean. They thought that they were actually helping you!!
:burning: SCARY!!

heck yeah. my old hair lady used great products. i still can't remember what she put on my hair to make it detangle so easily. she would use a small tooth comb too and my hair had no snags. now i go through sallys smellin stuff hoping i'll get somethin familiar lol. i did figure out once i came to the board that she was using aphogee 2 step on my hair. i had always wondered what that funky smell was when she put it on my hair, but it stopped my breakage and my hair always looked good with her.

And for that reason alone is why I am a DIY exept for trims and I go in with dry hair so they should not need to put anything in my hair. OH I cant wait until I can do my own trims.

No, I dont trust beauticians with their products. That is why I shower, put on my Aveda Damage Remedy and then put a shower cap on and head to the salon. I spend too much money on my Aveda Damage Remedy for them to be wasting it so that is why I put it on my own head! All she has to do is rinse me and put me under the dryer.

Frightening...!!! :perplexed:sad::ohwell:

I don't know why ALL stylists don't do this.

NO !
And not necessarily b/c they may use cheap products, it's b/c I know the type of products that my hair likes and they don't know my hair like I DO. I'm glad that I live in NYC and can gladly bring my own products to the Dominican Salons. A lot of hairdressers who take their jobs seriously will feel slighted if you bring your stuff to them, and I somewhat understand that b/c it's their craft, their job...that's what they feel they are trained and licensed for.

I'm not fussy so much about shampoo, but when it comes to conditioner and leave ins (which is the crux of my hair regimen) I am very particular and want to use products that I know that works instead of having some hairdresser use something that works for all of her other patrons and assumes it would work on my hair when I know what my hair should feel like and behave like.

I went to Dominican Essence and let Juanita mix up 3 Alter Ego conditioners to use in my hair... I hated it ! I could feel the difficulty she had when she combed out my hair, and i felt my wet hair when she washed it out. Then she used a leave in that I'm thinking made my hair feel a little bit better. But I knew for sure my hair was coated mess. When I went to get a relaxer, I used Mizani no-lye Butter Blends and the hairdresser insisted that i use Mizani conditioner or else my hair would break :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . Against my intuition and better judgement, I let her use Mizani Hydrafuse (or some conditioner) by Mizani and again, I didn't like how it felt on my hair. Now, I say **** it, if I go to the salon, I want the hairdresser to use what I bring. There is no longer any trial and error w/ me figuring out what works from what doesn't and trying to figure out my hair, I got this shyt on smash :grin:. Don't mess w/ me and try to tell me what you know ! Cause if it's one thing I know... it's my hair ! Been through trial and error too long to not know :yep:.

I used to trust my last beautician, I was with her for 13 years before she moved out of state. she would know if my hair needed protein or a good moisturizing conditioner. I knew how to take care of my hair but what messed me up with these other stylists were the relaxers and/or their application techniques. Either someone overlapped, or used a brand that didn't agree with my hair.
Now that I'm natural, I mainly do my hair myself, but I will go to this one stylist that cut the rest of my relaxer out for a good trim. I forget the name of the products she uses but they tend to agree with my hair.

My friends old beautician used to put a box perm on her hair, mixed it up in the back and charged her for a professional relaxer. When she found out, her beautician said it was just that one time b/c she ran out earlier that say.. smdh

I voted yes I trust them.. but my disclaimer is.. "not all of them".. just my old one. I am a DIY now

I never trust salons and their bottles that say Nexxus or whatever top brand, from growing up in Salons and my moms being a stylist she said what the bottle says is not always what's in the bottle, and she use to work at the top nyc salons lol!!!!!

sometimes you gotta cut costs, it's not all the times but the cheaper salons sometimes are worse with adding different products to the designer bottles.

when I would get wash and sets the people would get offended because i'd bring my own stuff lol! oh well at least I know what I bought is the actual product.

I never trust salons and their bottles that say Nexxus or whatever top brand, from growing up in Salons and my moms being a stylist she said what the bottle says is not always what's in the bottle, and she use to work at the top nyc salons lol!!!!!

sometimes you gotta cut costs, it's not all the times but the cheaper salons sometimes are worse with adding different products to the designer bottles.

when I would get wash and sets the people would get offended because i'd bring my own stuff lol! oh well at least I know what I bought is the actual product.

Let me guess, there is no discount for bringing your products...??? :yawn:

Back