Do you think direct heat stifles growth or even causes...BREAKAGE!!

Does heat stifles growth!

• Yes. but hair just grows slower

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • Yes. It even broke my hair off

Votes: 78 43.6%
  • Nope. my hair thrived

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • Nope. it grows the same

Votes: 71 39.7%
  • Yes. My hair stopped growing, but didn't break off.

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

SleepyJean

I was just thinking. In August 2008, I have this big plan to do protective styles for a year, and use no heat. I then thought about it. What if heat breaks my hair off, because once I stop I will use heat. I love my hair straight. Later on I will consider natural, because I love twists, too, but I have to get the straight out of my system. What's your opinion about heat?

i forgot exactly how heat damages the hair but i know it's bad so i just dont do it. i believe it can cause breakage because it dries the hair out.

Yes, because it dries your hair out, causing it to break off. However, I have found a deep conditioner that makes it easy for my iron to glide through my hair, or combat the effects of the dryer. Also, baggying right after heat makes my hair soft and more managable.Using quality products that work for me is what keeps my hair healthy and shiny.

It can dry out the scalp, which doesn't make for a great growing environment, but I don't think that it slows down growth.

IMO, it can cause damage that can lead to breakage if one uses improper technique, or poor tools or products.

Last edited:
When done properly and seldomly on healthy hair, I dont think it does. I think that the problem comes from overuse, having the heat too high, and lack of moisture, nourishment and DC's. Too much of anything can be bad.

As far as hair growth, I would say no. Growth is really an internal process and anything that stifles the hair growth has more to do with what is going on internally.

As far as breakage? Yes, if you use heat too much. No doubt about it. But I use direct heat about every other week and my stylist has helped my hair grow. Unfortunately, I stopped going to her for a long period of time and during that time I was wearing lots of wash and go styles ironically. I did major damage to my hair and she had to go in a cut quite a bit. It feels much better now, but I lost length.

But my stylist blow dries and flat irons almost all her clients and she really does not work on short hair. Sholder length and beyond. But does not want her clients to use heat throught the week.

I was just thinking. In August 2008, I have this big plan to do protective styles for a year, and use no heat. I then thought about it. What if heat breaks my hair off, because once I stop I will use heat. I love my hair straight. Later on I will consider natural, because I love twists, too, but I have to get the straight out of my system. What's your opinion about heat?

Hi shorthairforever,

This is a great idea.:yep: I think you should start now though because that is a great way to improve hair (not saying anything is wrong with your hair). Once I stopped using heat and started co-washing, baggying, and protective styling/bunning a while back...my hair took off. It was hard at first because I loved wearing my hair in straight styles, but once I saw how my hair improved it was on a crakin. I have been neglecting my hair a little bit, but I'm back and ready to restart the healthy hair journey continuously!

Direct heat is a big :nono: all it does is sucks the moisture out of your hair leaving it dull and straw like.....well thats how it was for me.

When done properly and seldomly on healthy hair, I dont think it does. I think that the problem comes from overuse, having the heat too high, and lack of moisture, nourishment and DC's. Too much of anything can be bad.

What do you consider seldomly?

it all depends on how you use direct heat, and your hair type

if you use heat when you deep condition, that's fine. but if you use heat, and have a tighter natural curl pattern (like myself) then use heat sparingly. The tighter the curl pattern, the dryer the hair will be.

If you use too much heat, then it can cause hair to dry out and break, and breakage is the main reason why growth doesn't occur. You need moist, elastic hair strands to grow long hair.

Elasticity = moisture+strength

Last edited:
It can dry out the scalp, which doesn't make for a great growing environment, but I don't think that it slows down growth.

IMO, it can cause damage that can lead to breakage if one uses improper technique, or poor tools or products.

ITA. It doesn't stop your growth but too much heat can lead to hair hell.:ohwell: (breakage is no joke)

I stopped using all heat when I started my hair journey, since direct heat was very damaging to my hair. This has worked for me.

Direct heat is most damaging to relaxed hair rather than natural hair. Some of the relaxed heads here know how to use direct heat with the correct products so their hair does not get damaged. I choose airdrying in rollersets as an alternative to the blowdryers, curling irons and hot combs I used to use.

I dont think heat stops the growth of your hair, its the breakage that makes the hair appear shorter or makes it look like you've had no progress.

I would say seldomly would be maybe once a month. Only with heat protectants tho...mainly serums. (like fantasia IC or frizz ease)

Heat not only strips your hair of moisture, it also strips it of protein (which also causes breakage) thats why over time really bad heat damage can actually make the hair look like it is fried.

I know for a fact that heat does not slow down hair growth because I use heat twice a week! I blow dry and flat iron my hair twice a week. I almost get no breakage on a daily basis and my hair is not completely dried out. When I use heat I make sure that I use some type of heat protectant before I blowdry, after I blow dry I put a leave in condtioner in my hair, after I flat iron I put my dail moisturizer in again and my hair is soft and moisturized. But I am not saying this is good for everyone because I have very thick, durable strands so I think my hair can withstand more.:yep:

What do you consider seldomly?

Well I am definitely no xpert on the subject. In the past when I did wear straight hair, I only did it maybe once or twice a month, when I went to my hair stylist. I am not good at doing my own hair so when it comes to heat, I always go to a professional until I get more practice and experience. I think that when you are trying to grow your hair out, to get your hair as healthy as possible and allow it to grow naturally so that you can classify your hair and try different products to see how your hair reacts. Check out the thread about daily or bi-weekly co washing to used to improve the hair condition and possibly excellerate the rate of growth.

There are so many members on our forum that have absolutely beautiful hair and use heat once a month. I think that the wash and go idea is a great one and every now and then you can switch up and get a flat iron or something. That way you can check your lenght and get a surprise. I am sure that whatever you decide though, will be a good decision for you just let us know how it is working so that we can help you when you need it.

i think its a matter of how u use it- with the right tools and products. one summer i was going to this excellent stylist. she blow dried and flat ironed my hair every week. But my hair was very healthy and grew alot- had that slick thick look to it. Another semester in college i was getting blow dry's every week but this lady did not use products that were right from my hair and my hair was dry and crispy and eventually broke off.

Another semester i decided to do no heat at all with this another stylist. all i did was roller sets. But the products and relaxer he was using was not right for me. At the end of that semester my hair looked awful even though i had given up the heat.

I agree!! :up:

I use direct heat once a week and it does not stifle growth nor does it cause breakage, when I use quality products and do it correctly. My hair is growing and retaining length better than ever, even thought I use heat once a week.

I use direct heat once a week and it does not stifle growth nor does it cause breakage, when I use quality products and do it correctly. My hair is growing and retaining length better than ever, even thought I use heat once a week.

Thank you for all of your responses. I just wanted to make sure it would not hurt my hair. I appreciate it, and now I'm fairly confident it won't, IF I use the right products.

This is my opinion.

I think direct heat is fine if it's from a good quality ionic, ceramic, or tourmaline appliance and you use a heat protectant.

I think heat causes damage overtime to hair which as a result causes breakage - and breakage leads to setbacks...

This is why I use heat very infrequently .

when my hair was relaxed it was pretty healthy and I used heat once a week....my hair actually grew at the time I did that.

I truly think that heat is bad when used too much and bad practices. I have been using heat after each wash for the last month and it's like I have a whole new head of hair.

Now when you use heat every single day on dry dirty hair you have a major problem. I have seen people hair go from shoulder to dry, brittle ear lengh because she uses the curling iron every moring to touch up.

So I truly think heat is fine on clean, DC hair with the proper heat protectant and appliciants.

I agree with this.

Back