Do you smooth your hair when relaxing it?

Do you smooth your hair while relaxing?

• Yes

Votes: 63 95.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vtoodler

Do you smooth your hair when you relax it?

Do you think that smoothing hair while relaxing can damage it?

I did when I relaxed my hair, it made it MUCH straighter. I don't know if it did more damage or not but if smoother hair = easier to manage hair, then I would say no.

yes, you're supposed to; either with your hand(gloved) or the smooth side of the comb, Never the teeth of the comb.

Yep. During the last few minutes before rinsing my mother smooths with the back of the comb focusing on the most resistant areas in my crown.

Yes and I comb through the ng 1x in the back where it is the most dense.

I tried that no smoothing crap and was left with hard dry hair.

Each ones hair is different. Where one may not have to smooth others do

I smooth with my fingers every time.

My hair would come out underprocessed if I didn't.

Sent from my Comet

I tried that no teeth back of the comb thing and it left my hair super coily amd wavy. Some relaxers are able to break down the coil without much smoothing needed but my relaxer is so gentle. I need to ise the comb to break that coil apart.

Last edited:
I tried that no teeth back of the comb thing and it left my hair super coily amd wavy. Some relaxers are able to break down the coil without much smoothing needed but my relaxer is so gentle. I need to ise the comb to break that coil apart.

This is exactly why I do mine. It took me Tu's to figure this out. Every relaxer was coming out so under processed and I had some breakage one TU earlier this year because I did not use the comb to get through the NG.

Smoothing gets it straighter but as long as it's not left on too long it shouldn't cause additional damage.

I smooth with my fingers a bit through my hair because I like it texlaxed. With my clients, I use the teeth to comb through the NG and get it straighter.

Sent from TopNotch1010's iPhone using LHCF

But why smooth? The relaxer is supposed to be able to get the hair straight, right?

smoothing is dependant on the texture of the hair. If you dont have to then dont, however most people must smooth. Also all relaxers dont process the same.

I say this do what is right for your head as long as it is damaging for your head.

My straightest results have been with combing the relaxer through... Im bone straight

Sent from my ADR6400L

even though I smooth and comb through the NG only I am still not bone straight.

Everyones head is unique

Yup i agree but I like my hair bone straight so i comb through more than once.. i go through it like three times.. some times four.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Yup i agree but I like my hair bone straight so i comb through more than once.. i go through it like three times.. some times four.

Sent from my ADR6400L

I completly understand. I smooth 2x's and comb 1x for the strength I am using now. When I drop down I will be smoothing more and I will still have to comb

Back