Do you REALLY need heat to get a good deep condition?

Is heat mandatory for deep conditioning?

• Yes

Votes: 61 34.7%
  • No

Votes: 115 65.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No it's definitely not essential. I think 1+ hours is sufficient without heat.

Personally though, I prefer to use some form of heat.

I think leaving it in for the adequate amount of time is enough. I read somewhere around LHCF that conditioners are designed to specifically be followed by the instructions and adding extra heat might not always not be beneficial, even detrimental in some cases depending on the conditioner type. Also, it's on LHCF as well that chemists design conditioners precisely so that the time on the bottle is the time it's designed for the conditioner to work. Due to this, any extra time may not be beneficial because the conditioner will not extend to work further after this time limit. In addition, some conditioners that people mistakenly use to deep condition with are not equipped with the proper chemistry to deep condition, like rinse out conditioners, therefore heat is almost pointless in this case because it cannot go beyond its limit.

ETA: Like the poster said below though, I do agree that body heat is enough, even the natural shower steam is enough if you don't use a cap. Also what I wrote above is just a guide, if you like extra heat and leaving on the conditioner for a longer amount of time (I do too) then keep doing that, just be mindful. If a product says on the bottle not to use added heat or add a cap though, it's saying that for a reason — it's simply not designed to be used in that fashion.

Last edited:
Just use a showercap over your hair. Your body heat is enough.

I sit with a cap on my head for 20 minutes and I am good to go :yep:.

A few of the hair gurus suggest using heat for certain types of DCs. However, most instructions I have seen truly suggest simply adding more time to DC if and when you are not using heat. So heat for quicker penetration or longer time on hair without. Hope that's clear.

I mix hemp seed oil in my DCs, which apparently degenerates with the use of heat. (Have to keep it in the fridge). So I just leave it on with a shower cap for a few hours, usually overnight.

I was thinking about this the other day...my 2-year old mastex heating cap is the best $30 I ever spent. It really makes DCing more effective. the first year of my hair journey I didn't have much progress. But year 2 I bought a heat cap and I can say with certainty it was beneficial

A few of the hair gurus suggest using heat for certain types of DCs. However, most instructions I have seen truly suggest simply adding more time to DC if and when you are not using heat. So heat for quicker penetration or longer time on hair without. Hope that's clear.

Companies are making a (fair) assumption that the DC will be used at home. Most people don't have hooded dryers at their disposal so I guess that's why they recommend to just leave it on longer instead. BUT I do notice that on many "professional" products they advise to put the client under the drier for deeper conditioning

Last edited:
I voted No, because I'm assuming you mean using a heat appliance or heated towels. While I do love my DC's under the dryer, I've gotten great results DC'ing overnight with a plastic cap and natural body heat.

I an an overnight dcer. I prefer overnight dcing more of because I am lazy :look: If I plan on going out that night I'll dc with a plastic and my wii. Burn some calories and get the body heat going on full blast.

I mean you also have to remember, most of this crap isn't going to penetrate your hair anyway. All it does is sit on your hair and is washed away when you rinse or shampoo.

Using heat speeds up the process, but you can also abstain from using heat. After 30 minutes nothing is penetrating the hair shaft either way.

From Dr. Ali Syed's (the creator of Keracare) Website
HEAT

As the temperature of hair is increased, the greater the possibility of conditioners penetrating the cortex. As shown in Figure 1, penetration is much greater when hair is about 60-degrees centigrade than when it is at the normal environmental temperature of 25-degrees centigrade. A temperature of 60-degrees centigrade is easily achieved at the medium setting of an electric heat cap.

TIME

As the time of contact between hair and the conditioner increases, the degree of conditioner penetration into the cortex increases. As Figure 2 illustrates, the conditioning action continues to be productive up to 25-30 minutes. After that time, absorption reaches its maximum. It is safe, therefore, to conclude that conditioners should be left on the hair, with a plastic cap, for 25-30 minutes. The use of a hood dryer will enhance the conditioning effect.

You can read the whole article here:
The Right Way to Condition Hair (Part 1) - IN THE LAB, WITH DR. ALI SYED

Yep, I was going to say something about that but I was too lazy to find a credible source to back me up lol!

^^^I read this article and I'm not really sure how much I believe in it. If conditioners are made up of things that can't penetrate the hair shaft, then what exactly is being accomplished in 30 minutes?? To my knowledge, the only things that can penetrate the hair shaft are water and some oils, and possibly hydrolyzed protein. (The science must be over my head, maybe.)

I know for me, since I avoid heat, I DC with suranwrap and a wool cap (body heat) for 3 hours. I've experimented with different times and "3" is the magic number.

using heat is faster, and it makes me feel like I'm doing a salon treatment!

Yeah lol, despite my warning post from information I gathered here, I love that feeling. Next week I'm planning a spa/salon treatment for myself with the whole shebang for my skin and hair.

I mean you also have to remember, most of this crap isn't going to penetrate your hair anyway. All it does is sit on your hair and is washed away when you rinse or shampoo.

THANK_YOU!!!

I wanted to start a thread wondering why many think conditioners penetrate, but I would have been strung up by my new growth so I just let it go.

It can however leave the hair in a better state because it stays moisturized. I read somewhere that a stylists says that most DEEP conditioners only leave the hair in the state the bottle says it will for about 3 days . I have started taking note of how my NG feels after DC'ing and I have to say they are telling the truth. I have only FOUND 1 that has left my NG moisturized for 5 days and that is Kenra Moisturizing conditioner. I have so many conditioners because I wasted my money I am trying to figure out what to do with them. If I was a constant co-washer then it would be okay, mmmm maybe I will save them for the summer when I co-wash more frequently,.

I have read a few threads discussing what makes a conditioner "DEEP". There are specific ingredients that make a condtioner "DEEP. The ones that do will say to use heat. Once I started paying attention to this my hair has been acting so much better. I only own 2 that have some of the ingredients and they are Kenra Moisturizing conditioner and Ion effective Care conditioner.

I don't think it's required but it's recommended because it's suppose to give the best results. And in my case it's true.

When I was using heat with my deep conditioning I got more growth and stronger hair, and last year I only used it a few times and didn't see the same results even though I did see growth it wasn't the usual consistent surprise at the end of the year where I see I surpassed my goals.

^^^I read this article and I'm not really sure how much I believe in it. If conditioners are made up of things that can't penetrate the hair shaft, then what exactly is being accomplished in 30 minutes?? To my knowledge, the only things that can penetrate the hair shaft are water and some oils, and possibly hydrolyzed protein. (The science must be over my head, maybe.)

I know for me, since I avoid heat, I DC with suranwrap and a wool cap (body heat) for 3 hours. I've experimented with different times and "3" is the magic number.

Hey, I just say do what works for you. But trust me, I use to be an all day long conditioner too. It made me sick to walk around with wet hair trying to "deep condition" then knowing I had to sit down for another 6 hours to style my hair.

When I found out 20 minutes was all it took...I haven't turned back since. And my hair doesn't mind one bit....

very good info... I use my deep condi in the shower I even use it to co-wash with and leave it in until I shower and then wash it out so my heat is coming from the steam in the shower but I know I am not in there for 30 mins.

I've conditioned with and without heat. While, I've received good results with both but don't feel that its necessary to condition with heat. 99.9% of the time I condition without heat. I also don't think it's necessary to condition for more than 10 mins or so anyway. AFter about 10, 15 minutes, your hair has absorbed all it's going to absorb of a product anyway. So leaving the conditioner on longer, is up to you but you aren't going to receive any additional benefits for leaving it on longer. I don't leave my conditioners on for longer than 15 minutes normally and I haven't experienced any less benefits than when I used to leave conditioners on for like an hour. I don't have time to be doing all that anymore anyway.

In school we learn that heat is used to swell up the cuticle and allow penetration of a product. The only time heat is not needed is after a relaxer because the cuticles are already open due to the alkaline base of the relaxer.

In school we learn that heat is used to swell up the cuticle and allow penetration of a product. The only time heat is not needed is after a relaxer because the cuticles are already open due to the alkaline base of the relaxer.

sounds like u had a great chem professor too me:yep:

I voted no, if I have the time I will put it on with a plastic cap & go about my day cleaning or whatever. If I'm in a hurry I sit under the dryer with the plastic cap on.

No....Over the years, I've come to realize that body heat is enough. I don't agree with Dr. Syed's findings that nothing much gets absorbed after 30 minutes; because I can feel a huge difference between 30 min and 1 hr. Regardless of the conditioner, I must do at least an hour to get a good condition.

Last edited:
For me, I prefer to use heat. I feel the difference in my hair. The conditioner seems to penetrate much better when I use my heating cap and the conditioner soaks in. I think protein treatments in particular should def be used with heat. I even prefer deep conditioning w/ my heat cap as opposed to the hair dryer. It's like the heating cap smushes the heat in and keeps it close to my hair :lol:

IMO, I don't think it's really NEEDED, but it certainly helps to speed up the absorption. I've left a DC on overnight and gotten the same results (I'm guessing the body heat aided in that).

I prefer to use heat when conditioning, though there have been a few times that I did a quick condition, 10-20 min with just a plastic cap on, and my hair felt really good. But, Im having mixed feelings about using a steamer while conditioning as opposed to using a hood dryer. Ive used a steamer for about a year and Im not sure that the results are better than with a hood dryer. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Using heat speeds up the process, but you can also abstain from using heat. After 30 minutes nothing is penetrating the hair shaft either way.

From Dr. Ali Syed's (the creator of Keracare) Website
HEAT

As the temperature of hair is increased, the greater the possibility of conditioners penetrating the cortex. As shown in Figure 1, penetration is much greater when hair is about 60-degrees centigrade than when it is at the normal environmental temperature of 25-degrees centigrade. A temperature of 60-degrees centigrade is easily achieved at the medium setting of an electric heat cap.

TIME

As the time of contact between hair and the conditioner increases, the degree of conditioner penetration into the cortex increases. As Figure 2 illustrates, the conditioning action continues to be productive up to 25-30 minutes. After that time, absorption reaches its maximum. It is safe, therefore, to conclude that conditioners should be left on the hair, with a plastic cap, for 25-30 minutes. The use of a hood dryer will enhance the conditioning effect.

You can read the whole article here:
The Right Way to Condition Hair (Part 1) - IN THE LAB, WITH DR. ALI SYED

Great info! I usually use my plastic cap with a hat of some sort for heat, and that has been working well for me. The hat also allows for me to leave the house without looking crazy

Back