Do you REALLY need heat to get a good deep condition?

Is heat mandatory for deep conditioning?

• Yes

Votes: 61 34.7%
  • No

Votes: 115 65.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
From what I learned in one of my cosmetology classes, Heat does help deep conditioners penetrate the hair shaft.

However, that only works with deep conditioners, reconstructors, masks, etc.

According to the teacher (and not sure if it is correct as there are so many theories), but if you are using a regular conditioner (which was referred to as a surface conditioner), it will NOT penetrate the hair shaft, a s it's job is to close the cuticle and seal it, regardless of whether or not you use heat.

So basically what she said was, ALWAYS use a deep conditioner, reconstructor, mask, etc. with heat, rinse really well (sometimes a light shampoo once if it is heavy like affirm 5 in 1), and then ALWAYS use a surface conditioner (which would be a regular conditioner) to seal the cuticles, regardless of if you did the light shampoo or not after rinsing the dc out.

I know some may find the shampooing after a dc weird, but she stated that for fine hair, the really heavy masques will weigh the hair down, and once the ingredients have penetrated the shaft, they will not wash out...

To piggy back on the aforementioned, DC'ing with heat is not necessary after a relaxer since the cuticles are already open because of the chemical.

MissBermuda:

I knew I wasn't weird for using 2 conditioners! I usually use a DC like a reconstructor or mask, then follow up with a regular cond. like a cheapie. I just don't feel my hair is smooth enough without the regular cond. after the DC. Now I know the true logic behind it, according to your cosmetology class teacher. Good info. Thanks!

OP: No, I don't feel heat is always necessary. I have not used a hooded dryer or heat to DC in years, and I have healthy hair. It is just too much work since I wash/CW in the shower...I use body heat/steam/hot towel, often just a plain plastic cap, or sometimes DC overnight.

This is very good information. I never thought to use a light poo after a DC. My MMP is quite heavy and I will try that next time to see if it helps.

From what I learned in one of my cosmetology classes, Heat does help deep conditioners penetrate the hair shaft.

However, that only works with deep conditioners, reconstructors, masks, etc.

According to the teacher (and not sure if it is correct as there are so many theories), but if you are using a regular conditioner (which was referred to as a surface conditioner), it will NOT penetrate the hair shaft, a s it's job is to close the cuticle and seal it, regardless of whether or not you use heat.

So basically what she said was, ALWAYS use a deep conditioner, reconstructor, mask, etc. with heat, rinse really well (sometimes a light shampoo once if it is heavy like affirm 5 in 1), and then ALWAYS use a surface conditioner (which would be a regular conditioner) to seal the cuticles, regardless of if you did the light shampoo or not after rinsing the dc out.

I know some may find the shampooing after a dc weird, but she stated that for fine hair, the really heavy masques will weigh the hair down, and once the ingredients have penetrated the shaft, they will not wash out...

MissBermuda:

I knew I wasn't weird for using 2 conditioners! I usually use a DC like a reconstructor or mask, then follow up with a regular cond. like a cheapie. I just don't feel my hair is smooth enough without the regular cond. after the DC. Now I know the true logic behind it, according to your cosmetology class teacher. Good info. Thanks!

OP: No, I don't feel heat is always necessary. I have not used a hooded dryer or heat to DC in years, and I have healthy hair. It is just too much work since I wash/CW in the shower...I use body heat/steam/hot towel, often just a plain plastic cap, or sometimes DC overnight.

Jewell

You're welcome. I do the DC followed by the conditioner as well and it really works for me :yep:

According to the teacher ...

Thanks for this info. I had been considering following up my DC with another conditioner. My hair feels great with the DC in but as soon as I rinse it out, it loses something, a lot of something. I definitely want to try this and see if it makes a difference.

THANK_YOU!!!

I wanted to start a thread wondering why many think conditioners penetrate, but I would have been strung up by my new growth so I just let it go.

It can however leave the hair in a better state because it stays moisturized. I read somewhere that a stylists says that most DEEP conditioners only leave the hair in the state the bottle says it will for about 3 days . I have started taking note of how my NG feels after DC'ing and I have to say they are telling the truth. I have only FOUND 1 that has left my NG moisturized for 5 days and that is Kenra Moisturizing conditioner. I have so many conditioners because I wasted my money I am trying to figure out what to do with them. If I was a constant co-washer then it would be okay, mmmm maybe I will save them for the summer when I co-wash more frequently,.

I have read a few threads discussing what makes a conditioner "DEEP". There are specific ingredients that make a condtioner "DEEP. The ones that do will say to use heat. Once I started paying attention to this my hair has been acting so much better. I only own 2 that have some of the ingredients and they are Kenra Moisturizing conditioner and Ion effective Care conditioner.

Yep that's why Cathy howse advocated a 3-4 day wash cycle

Last edited:
I do, especially if it is a masque and doesn't offer slip, or if it's too heavy, I will lightly use a sulfate free shampoo.

So the shampoo ensures that the masque doesn't weigh your hair done. That's really interesting. Do you just do one shampoo each time cause the shampoo can be drying.

I tend to use Heat with ALL my DC'ing treatments and like @shortdub78 said there are times when I will finish it up with a R/O.

I guess the RO just aids to give you more slip? Do you know what I don't think I even OWN any rinse conditioners, they are all masques lol.

So the shampoo ensures that the masque doesn't weigh your hair done. That's really interesting. Do you just do one shampoo each time cause the shampoo can be drying.

I guess the RO just aids to give you more slip? Do you know what I don't think I even OWN any rinse conditioners, they are all masques lol.
The masque are really heavy. I use a nonsulfate shampoo, so nothing is really being stripped. Nonsulfate detangling shampoos are like cleansing conditioners to me, specially shampoos like Creme Of Nature, DE Almond and Avocado detangling, they leave something behind as well.

Some masques aren't meant to provide slip, and to smooth the cuticle down. They are used to correct an issue. Once hair can get to optimal health, they shouldn't be used on a regular basis. My hair is double processed and techically bone straight is hair that is overprocessed as well.

Back