Do you REALLY need heat to get a good deep condition?

Is heat mandatory for deep conditioning?

• Yes

Votes: 61 34.7%
  • No

Votes: 115 65.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't know the chemistry behind it but my hair definitely seems to be more conditioned when I sit under the hooded dryer. But, I also get the same results if I do an overnight dc as well. I also think it may depend upon the conditioner.

I can definitely tell a difference when I use heated water (a lot more moisturized and soft) than when I don't use heat.

Do you need heat? No...but I prefer it. I have been using either a hooded dry or heat cap for my DCs for some years now and I think it helps. If I really want to have a good DC session the longer the better. I agree only so much will be absorbed but I figure if I'm not in a rush let as much as possible be absorbed.

Sometimes I think the better the ingredients the better the effects. Not saying it has to be expensive just the right combo of ingredients.

I was actually thinking the other day, how much heat is even required for cuticles to open ...ie: at what temp do the cuticles open.

so if body heat is sufficient (which it usually is for me though i may start it off with my heat cap) then Im ok with doing some housework while my hair gets pampered ,.. as long as I have the time for it.

I thought the cuticles were already opened if you shampoo your hair with warm or hot water. Which is why some people rinse their conditioner out with cold water and use aloe vera juice to seal the cuticles back up.

IDK, I rarely sit under the dryer with conditioner. I just put a plastic cap on while I'm in the shower and it seems to work fine.

Interesting! CurlyNikki just posted an article about this today:

Myth vs. Fact: Deep Conditioning | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Curly Hair Care

Excerpt:
Here's the truth: Most conditioners, even those labeled as "deep conditioners", only condition the outside of your hair. They coat your hair so it will feel soft. Using heat for extended periods of time does not help the conditioner coat your hair, nor does it help the conditioner penetrate into your hair. That's why sitting under the dryer isn't usually in the instructions - because it won't help!

When the instructions do say to apply heat, that means there's no benefit in sitting under the bonnet dryer for more than the time listed. Hair products are tested by scientists and hair stylists multiple times. The instructions on the bottle tell you exactly what to do for the maximum benefit. Follow the directions as written, making sure to saturate your hair with conditioner from root to tip. If you're not happy with the way your hair feels after following the package directions, then it's time to find a better conditioner.

So, the next question is, why does your hairdresser deep condition with heat when you go to the salon? Only she can answer that, but here are some possible reasons:

She is using a conditioner with instructions that say "apply heat".
She charges for deep conditioning.
She uses the time that you are under the dryer to work on other clients.
She uses the time that you are under the dryer to rest or eat.

So, in summary, arbitrarily applying heat to your conditioner is probably not damaging to your hair, but it does not provide any real benefit. To give your hair extra softness, do a pre-wash oil treatment each week before you shampoo.

Wow, I'm imagining all the free time I could have on my hands if I just followed the directions on the bottle. :lachen:

No it's definitely not essential. I think 1+ hours is sufficient without heat.

Personally though, I prefer to use some form of heat.

I Agree w/Ms. Tee.:grin:

But I tend to purchase (look for) those that specify something like: "For Best Results OR for a Deeper Condition apply Heat":yep:

I always use either my Steamer, Heat Cap or Dryer when applying Deep Conditioners and/or Hair Masks/Masques/Treatments.

I Voted Yes.:yep:

I voted No, because I'm assuming you mean using a heat appliance or heated towels. While I do love my DC's under the dryer, I've gotten great results DC'ing overnight with a plastic cap and natural body heat.

For deep conditioning treatments I bundle my hair up in a wool hat and a cashmere scarf. Or sometimes I work out and that way I'm generating body heat. In the summer or in warm climate I sit outside and make use of solar heat. I do have a soft bonnet dryer but I don't like having to sit under it so I rarely use it.

Whenever I do my own hair, I normally leave the deep conditioner in for 1-1/2 to 2 hours without heat. If it's late in the evening, then I just deep condition overnight. Since I've been doing my own hair, I haven't seen any progress since it was cut two years ago. My hair is the same length. I guess I need to start going back to the salon.

Sometimes I use heat (a heated towel) and sometimes I don't. I don't know whether using heat is better but it feels nice and works faster. I think either way works well.

Whenever I do my own hair, I normally leave the deep conditioner in for 1-1/2 to 2 hours without heat. If it's late in the evening, then I just deep condition overnight. Since I've been doing my own hair, I haven't seen any progress since it was cut two years ago. My hair is the same length. I guess I need to start going back to the salon.

What makes you think you haven't progressed? Are you curly? Losing hair?

MZTEAZE:

Right after my stylist trimmed six inches off the right side to even it out with the left, my hair was at the tip of my bra clasp. That was back in February 2009. I'm barely past bra clasp now after 1 year 11 months!

At first I thought it was because I don't have a hair dryer to deep condition my hair; but I checked it last night, my hair has only grown 3 inches since the mega trim.:blush:

I have type 4a/b hair. So lately, I've been oiling more, about three times a week. When I was going to the salon, I thoroughly oiled it once a week. Maybe because my stylist blow dries it, then I sit under the dryer for about 3 minutes to dry my scalp. Then he presses and hot curls it.

I get my hair done the old fashion way, but the right side used to be waist length. It worked fine. The same is true with his other customers, who has longer hair than the other stylists' customers.

I'm going to go to the salon next month just to get a "length check." At least I'm grateful that it's barely below bra clasp. Things could be worse. Incidentallly, before I started learning how to do my hair about 1-1/2 years ago, I was going to the salon consistently most of my life.

Last edited:
I get the same results using heat for 20 minutes as I do without heat for an hour. So, I stick to the non-heat for an hour. I hate sitting underneath dryers.

This is a good thread. I was thinking about this last week after I did a Henna treatment. I just didn't feel like or have time to sit under the dryer. I just put the conditioner in and put on a plastic cap and shower cap... LOL.

I hate sitting under a dryer so I just apply my DC, cover with a plastic cap and hang out around the house for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I use my body heat generated from working out. I wash my hair, apply the conditioner, put on a plastic cap, cover it with a hat, and go work out.

I don't think heat is required or needed to have a good deep condition but my hair loves heat with conditioner..

ididnt vote. :blush: but idid view the poll results to see what majority said.

glad icame by this thread :yep: isimply DC with a shower cap and either throw on a hair bonnet on top or tie it with a scarf and it gets warm up there O_O lol iswear isee steam when itake it off :lol: :look:

I hate heat on my hair..so I DC overnight everytime....my hair feels good after and if I add sum honey...then my hair is like silk..

From what I learned in one of my cosmetology classes, Heat does help deep conditioners penetrate the hair shaft.

However, that only works with deep conditioners, reconstructors, masks, etc.

According to the teacher (and not sure if it is correct as there are so many theories), but if you are using a regular conditioner (which was referred to as a surface conditioner), it will NOT penetrate the hair shaft, a s it's job is to close the cuticle and seal it, regardless of whether or not you use heat.

So basically what she said was, ALWAYS use a deep conditioner, reconstructor, mask, etc. with heat, rinse really well (sometimes a light shampoo once if it is heavy like affirm 5 in 1), and then ALWAYS use a surface conditioner (which would be a regular conditioner) to seal the cuticles, regardless of if you did the light shampoo or not after rinsing the dc out.

I know some may find the shampooing after a dc weird, but she stated that for fine hair, the really heavy masques will weigh the hair down, and once the ingredients have penetrated the shaft, they will not wash out...

Personally, I always use heat, as I find my hair reacts better after being under the steamer with the deep conditioner on.

When I steam weekly, I retain way more length than not steaming. My ends always stay moist and healthy.

From what I learned in one of my cosmetology classes, Heat does help deep conditioners penetrate the hair shaft.

However, that only works with deep conditioners, reconstructors, masks, etc.

According to the teacher (and not sure if it is correct as there are so many theories), but if you are using a regular conditioner (which was referred to as a surface conditioner), it will NOT penetrate the hair shaft, a s it's job is to close the cuticle and seal it, regardless of whether or not you use heat.

So basically what she said was, ALWAYS use a deep conditioner, reconstructor, mask, etc. with heat, rinse really well (sometimes a light shampoo once if it is heavy like affirm 5 in 1), and then ALWAYS use a surface conditioner (which would be a regular conditioner) to seal the cuticles, regardless of if you did the light shampoo or not after rinsing the dc out.

I know some may find the shampooing after a dc weird, but she stated that for fine hair, the really heavy masques will weigh the hair down, and once the ingredients have penetrated the shaft, they will not wash out...

I don't think shampooing after DCing is weird. I do it if I'm going to wear my hair straightened. My hair is very lightweight and a too heavy DC will weigh it down.

I use to think heat was necessary but then I read posts from people with great healthy hair that don't use heat at all. So, I compromise and do my 15 mns with heat and overnight DC :) Problem solved.

Back