Do you put oils on your scalp?

Well?

• Yes

Votes: 116 67.8%
  • No

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • No opinion. I just want to see the poll.

Votes: 16 9.4%

• Total voters

nodisrespect

I was under the impression that you should keep your scalp clean because otherwise you will block the pores and hinder growth. But I see a lot of people put oils directly onto their scalp. Which is better?

i have been trying to regain some of the thickness i lost having kids. it is working. and i had lost a patch of hair on my hair line and it is growing back since i started oiling. i had been unsuccessfully trying to grow this patch for years. nows its almost filled in because of the oils. thats the only thing i have been doing different.

I don't use oils on my scalp because I already have a oily scalp. I do use oils down the hair shaft because for my type of hair, the oil on my scalp dosen't like to travel all that far.

Its a matter of what works best for you.

-A

Yeah, the night before I wash (I wash my hair twice a week) I massage my scalp with either Shikakai Oil or Amla Brahmi Oil.
BELIEVE ME oiling the scalp has done wonders for my hair.
I had a HUGE bald patch around the nape and it has almost filled in completely since March.

I prefer to use oil than grease on my scalp since the oil is lighter. I also wash very often so I do it to prevent my scalp from drying. It does mkae my hair feel good too, plus when I do it religiously I see faster growth.

I do sometimes.

I notice I do it more in the winter time. My scalp just seems to get kinda dry so I will oil it more often.

I notice as it warms up, I don't really need it.

Also, for massaging my scalp, oil seems to make it easier for me. I seem to have more direction in doing it when I use oil. I have not been doing it a lot these days, but as I said, in the winter it really does help me.

I like Lenzis Request oil. It does not really make me getr lots of growth. Maybe because I don't use it often enough. But, I like the way it smells and the thickness of it. It also relieves any itching I get in the winter.

I don't oil my scalp if it's not needed. The only time I oil my scalp is if I have dry scalp and thats not often at all. My scalp usually produces enough of it's own oil. I think alot of people get growth in the case of a bald spot because they are massaging their scalp which stimulates gowth. Have any of you tried massaging withot oil to see if it is infact the oil and not the massge itself?

I don't oil my scalp if it's not needed. The only time I oil my scalp is if I have dry scalp and thats not often at all. My scalp usually produces enough of it's own oil. I think alot of people get growth in the case of a bald spot because they are massaging their scalp which stimulates gowth. Have any of you tried massaging withot oil to see if it is infact the oil and not the massge itself?

I have done them without oil and I really don't think it is needed.

But, some reason, using oil helps me do it better. Not sure why. I have more direction and focus with the oil. :spinning: Maybe I am just brainwashed to think the oil makes it work better. I know the oil is not really necessary at all.

On rare occasion, if my scalp feels tight and itchy. If I do, it's usually jojoba or a jojoba-based product.

But I do understand doing it with scalp massages. I've tried it both with and without some oil and water product. Sure, you can give a scalp or any other body part massage without the oil, but it just doesn't feel as good. Your fingers don't move along the skin as smoothly and it just doesn't feel as nice, same as with any other massage.

Last edited:
On rare occasion, if my scalp feels tight and itchy. If I do, it's usually jojoba or a jojoba-based product.

But I do understand doing it with scalp massages. I've tried it both with and without some oil and water product. Sure, you can give a scalp or any other body part massage without the oil, but it just doesn't feel as good. Your fingers don't move along the skin as smoothly and it just doesn't feel as nice, same as with any other massage.

Thats true it does help your fingers glide better.

Some oils have antifungal/antibacterial properties that help balance the "environment" on the scalp and massaging helps increase circulation and therefor growth. At least that's what I think. Garlic oil is a must for me and a combo of karite, rosemary, coconut, avocado, sweet almond and whatever else I find.

Last edited:
After rollersetting or any straight style I put an EO blend on my scalp once. This prevents my scalp from itching and since its an essential oil blend its not harsh and does not have adverse effects.

I only oil my scalp twice per week with natural oils. Avocado butter the first night, and then vatika/amla or vatika/nyle the next night which I baggy, and then I wash it all out the next morning.

I oil my scalp because it gets dry due to daily co washing. I usually get the itchies when my scalp is dry so this helps relieve it.

In my opinion it's a cultural thing.

No real reason to oil your scalp unless you're using a growth aid or you have a scalp condition.

i used to up until like 2yrs year ago when i started having trouble with my scalp...damn dermatitis it makes my scalp itch. i've used to like the doo gro medicated or the triple strength growth....now it's butters, and maybe oils on the hair...no mineral tho!

Co-washing daily keeps my scalp happy, so I've had no need to oil it. When I relaxed I used coconut oil to help with burns.

Yes.

I alternate between Doo Gro Oil and WonderGro Pure Sulfur Oil. Both oils are mineral oil free and petroleum free.

OP, I think many people stay away from oils/grease that contain the two aforementioned ingredients because they block the pores/hinder growth. I don't think it's oil in general that does it. It's oil/grease that contain one or both of those ingredients.

Oil can actually contribute to growth depending on the ingredients.

2x a week I put a mixture of castor, coconut, olive, sage, and rosemary oils on my scalp. It was getting a bit too dry . I don't oil heavily though.

Back