Do you brush your natural hair?

Mahalialee4

I would like to know who brushes their natural hair and relaxed hair and if you find it affects the ends or the thickness. Believing in moderation in all things, I try not to do any damage, but to avoid my hair tangling and breaking I cannot go more than a week without brushing. I do a lot of fingercombing unless I leave my hair up. Even when I leave it in a style for a couple of days, it will try to mat and tangle if I have oils in it. Any feedback would be appreciated. Just wondering if anyone else goes through this too. Bonjour. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Hi, I do not have a relaxer, and I brush my hair...sometimes. If I do an afro-puff, then I will brush my hair to smooth the edges, but other than that, no. I always use a comb. When I used to brush a lot, I would shed a lot, so I've cut down brushing to a few times a year.

I used to brush my hair with a wig brush, but now I never brush it anymore and noticed that I don't have a problem with my edges being thin anymore. I put a gel on my edges, then a spandex hair band, leave it on for 5 minutes and it looks just like I used a brush. I rather massage my scalp then snag it out with a brush. Even if you don't see much hair in your brush in the beginning, after awhile your hair will break off in short pieces.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
AmilLion said:
I brush only my edges when I'm wearing a sleek style.

[/ QUOTE ]
I do the same.

What type of brush are you ladies using? I HAD a bb brush, that I recently had to let go (was getting old). I need to purchase a new one soon.

My brush, it's really really really soft. I don't know what type of brush it is, but I feel that it's gentle on my hair.

I only brush my hair to smooth the top. I wear it back in a braid. I use a boar bristle I bought from Sallys.

[/ QUOTE ] Same here. Otherwise, I just use my wide toothe comb. /images/graemlins/wave.gif

AmilLion said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. But I know how to minimize doing this for my hair. I moisturise the hairline smooth it in with my fingers and wear the doo rag for a little while or overnight. no brushing then needed.

I stoped brushing for a while, and now I am back too it, I use and natural brush and try to brush the oils through my hair, I am alot softer now at that, and brushing really helps some times with the tangles, but I still plan to use more combs and stay off the brush as much as possible
grin.gif

I have a natural boar's bristle brush but I hardly ever use it. I thought I "needed" it in order to smooth my hair down. But I've gotten similar results by just combing first with a wide tooth comb to get my hair in the direction I want. Then, I comb gently through with a fine tooth comb. (I now use bone combs that are seamless) Then, I put on whatever styling product and smooth down with the palms of my hands. Then I put on my scarf securely but not too tight. I do all of this when my hair is wet and soaked with leave-in conditioner and after I've moisturized my new growth. I am hoping this is less damaging than using a brush.

Prior to learning more about hair care (2 months ago), I was using a hard nylon brush practically every day not realizing that I was yanking my hair from the scalp.

I don't think using a brush in moderation would be damaging especially if it's the right kind of brush. But I'm suffering from some relaxer breakage so I'm a little fearful of brushing. Once my hair is in good condition again, I will probably start brushing again. I hear it's good to help distribute oils.

I've brushed my hair once, the edges actually when I did an afro puff. I didn't have time to tie it down with a scarf. I have a natural bb, but I'd like to try a denman brush when I get some more length.

I brush my hair with one of those brushes with the big spaced out bristles...If I don't brush my hair at least once a week while it's wet it will be hell to pay when I finally do. I don't really like the real bristle brushes too much unless I'm just smoothing down my "baby hairs".

I use a denman type brush on soaking wet, conditioner topped hair once a month, it is great. I have less sheading than I do with my shower comb, and no popping or breaking of the hair. I got this tip from nappturality.com I never would have beleived I could do this, but it is amazing. I never brush my hair dry, and I don't really use a boar bristle brush anymore. I might use one when my hair is long enough for an afro puff.

Tracy

Brushing is not for nappy/natural hair. When I am freshly pressed I brush cuz it feel good on my scalp. But after 3 day when the root starts to revert, I stop brushing. Before I go to the shop I try to detangle my own hair (I want it done gently)so I divide it into sections and comb it out really slowly. Any brushing needed to smooth it, can usually be done with hand and oil.

I have used the Denman Brush on my hair(only a few times) while it was coated by conditioner. Other than that I don't brush my hair at all...wether it's natural, straight, relaxed or curly. I stick to wide tooth combs and fine tooth when I want the ends smoothed before rolling or flat ironing.

Nah... I used to brush but I've decided to try Cathy Howse's advice and avoid brushing, except for smoothing hair into a style.

Back