Do you believe damaged hair can truly be repaired?

Well so you

• Of Course

Votes: 145 48.2%
  • Oh hell to the no

Votes: 156 51.8%

• Total voters
If you are talking about heat damage I don't think so, personally. I cut all my heat damaged hair off a few years back.....my stylist and I were talking about this the other day and she said you can make it look like its healthy but you can't reverse the damage, in the end its best to cut the heat damaged areas and keep growing....

I think it can rehabed not repaired. I think you can make it look in its best condition while waiting for the damaged hair to grow out and break or get trimmed off

Unfortunately, this subject is near and not so dear to my heart :( I suffered major overprocessing at the hands of a not-so-caring stylist in November '08. By January '09 most of my hair had/has fallen out. Stands & Patches, Strands and Patches all over the whole head. Once I began on my HHJ, I noticed that the strands that have remained are alot stronger but most of it was breaking all the way down to the NG. So, I have been using the longer strands to cover the broken off places all over the scalp. So needless to say I look like a HOTMESS :( But I know that I will continue to grow it out and once the NG catches up with the few pieces that have "hung on" I will have to cut the rest of it off to that length to get it all even again. So long story short, I say No. You have to wait, let the damaged hair either fall out and begin to grow back out and salvage whatever is left by cutting it. I am there. Living with this situation daily. And it's been Traumatic

I don't think damaged hair can truly be repaired, but I do think it can be patched up. No product can regrow the cuticle layers or un-break broken bonds, but it can fill in the holes and make it less likely for the damage to cause breakage or get worse.

i agree with the above

I read on some chemist's blog that hair can be repaired in about 2 years. I wish I could remember where I saw that. Idk, if that's true I don't even think I could stand to look at damaged hair for 2 years before it gets right. I'd just cut it off and grow it back right.

To me, they are saying that's how long it will take to grow a new head of hair. :look:

Like a lot of the other ladies, I don't think damaged hair can be repaired to like new, but it can be "treated" to improve the situation and look better.

We have products that make hair APPEAR healthy even if it isnt. Isnt that what we want ANYWAYS? Healthy looking hair?

I don't think damaged hair can truly be repaired, but I do think it can be patched up. No product can regrow the cuticle layers or un-break broken bonds, but it can fill in the holes and make it less likely for the damage to cause breakage or get worse.

Agreed... BTW - Love the siggy - Love India Arie!!! and LOVE :love: the hair!

I believe you can repair hair with the right products and care, you have to take time to find out what your hair is needing. Relaxers remove protein and moister from the hair, replacing them can make the hair healthy.

split ends-no.
lack or moisture, frizzy hair, stuff like that...yes

the question is to vague to say yes or no.

i voted yes with my explaination above

This thread is convincing me to cut off all my thin lifeless hair and wear a sew in until it grows back!!!! :look:

Hmm, not sure. I know everyone says that damage hair can be temporarily fixed, or can be restored to the point that it atleast imitates a healthy strand but isn't that or couldn't that be the same thing as repairing hair? I liked the analogy used previously with repairing a broken bone..It's been repaired..I mean technically. So, if a person can coat a damaged hair strand with things like henna, protein treatments & etc...and it starts to look (and behave) like a healthy strand..cant we pretty much just say that its been repaired? I'm just wondering because this thread is really making me just want to go bald and start over..

Hmm, not sure. I know everyone says that damage hair can be temporarily fixed, or can be restored to the point that it atleast imitates a healthy strand but isn't that or couldn't that be the same thing as repairing hair? I liked the analogy used previously with repairing a broken bone..It's been repaired..I mean technically. So, if a person can coat a damaged hair strand with things like henna, protein treatments & etc...and it starts to look (and behave) like a healthy strand..cant we pretty much just say that its been repaired? I'm just wondering because this thread is really making me just want to go bald and start over..

You're comparing apples and oranges. Bone is living tissue. When a bone breaks the healing process starts almost immediately and a cast just helps align the bones and hold them in place so the healing happens properly. You can read about healing bone fractures here. Hair on the other hand is no longer alive once it comes out of the skin. There are no cells that start the remodeling process when there's a "split" or when the hair is burned. And unlike broken bones, there never comes a time when the damaged hair can manage without whatever "cast" you put on it. So the analogy of damaged bones just holds no water in the case of damaged hair.

No. I don't think so. That's why I always smile when someone is "nursing their hair" back to health.They're deep conditioning and chopping off the damage, cause it's gotta go if it's split ends. It doesn't matter how long it takes but it's got to go.

I voted yes it can be repaired. I was one of those people who got braids to hide my hair cause I hated paying to have it done weekly, so when I took them out and so how long it grew I was afraid to go to my stylist. Though I was below SL the dry and frizzy parts ran to just below my ears.

Ya'll know what she wanted to do after the wash and set... and I promised I'd let her after my next relaxer. I never went back and vowed to see if I could "fix" it first and you know what? After a few months of DCing, moisturizing and sealing, protective hairstyles and one dusting my hair my hair looks great. No frizzies and my hair is blunt shaped. I don't have the beauty of a hard chop, but I plan on dusting until I surpass my goal then hard chopping to reach it, with bumped ends.

I'm not saying keep the zig-zag ends but I am now a firm believer that sometimes chopping is the impatient thing to do. I also learned to re-think what I consider to be true damage. That would've been a major setback if I had let her do what she wanted.

I think damaged hair can be treated to be more managable and to slow further damage and breakage. But think about a towel thats frayed at the ends, you don't tie the ends back together, you clip of the fraying ends so the rest of the towel is useful. Same with hair in my opinoin.

In a way, hair that is split end ridden, no. I don't care what any product or technique promises me, I don't think those can be repaired without scissors. Hair that is a little heat damaged, yes with lots of DC's, moisturizing and cutting heat out of your styling options. Severely heat damaged, I don't know never had it. :)

You're comparing apples and oranges. Bone is living tissue. When a bone breaks the healing process starts almost immediately and a cast just helps align the bones and hold them in place so the healing happens properly. You can read about healing bone fractures here. Hair on the other hand is no longer alive once it comes out of the skin. There are no cells that start the remodeling process when there's a "split" or when the hair is burned. And unlike broken bones, there never comes a time when the damaged hair can manage without whatever "cast" you put on it. So the analogy of damaged bones just holds no water in the case of damaged hair.

I was only asking a question...

I understand that bones are living tissue. I was just thinking about how if protein and henna attach to the hair & fill in all the missing gaps, why cannot damaged hair be atleast somewhat revived? I was just wondering if a hair with a "cast" on it could be considered repaired hair, if it looks healthy and it seems to be 'acting' like the healthier hairs. For example, ever since using henna I've noticed that the front of my hair where it is overprocessed doesn't look overprocessed anymore, and it doesn't frizz up like the other unhealthy parts..But it does seem to be vastly improving. I mean it doesn't just have to be bones. There are other things that people fix within their house and just put some sort of 'cast' on it, and even though its not like how it originally was, it works efficiently. I'm just thinking of possibilities but thanks for responding.

I think damaged hair can be treated to be more managable and to slow further damage and breakage. But think about a towel thats frayed at the ends, you don't tie the ends back together, you clip of the fraying ends so the rest of the towel is useful. Same with hair in my opinoin.

Good Point!

I don't think so.
I don't get it when I see products that claim to mend split ends, or anything that claims to fix mechanical damage/rough handling. How is that biologically possible? I think they may possibly make the problem less noticeable and easier to deal with.

I tried for years and years to save my damaged hair. I used every "split end mending product" on the market. They basically temporarily glue damaged ends back together. The "repair" isn't permanent and the resulting hair was frizzy, lacked luster, was rough to the touch, and tangled like no tomorrow. It also kept getting thinner and thinner as my hair got longer. In the end, I decided keeping length that looked like that wasn't worth it and chopped it.

It's like breaking a nail then using one of the nail mending polishes to keep it from completely falling off... it's fragile, it looks bad, and it's gonna fall off eventually.

I agree with the comments.

Great analysis Sareca. :yep:

Is is a marketing ploy to get consumers to purchase more products or do these things really revert the hair back to a healthy state... If someone relaxes their hair, there isn't a product on the market that would turn it back natural again so how could a product repair damaged hair....

I think that its interesting to note that you right off the bat equated damage with a relaxer. That's kind of a faulty analogy.

Repair--To restore to sound condition after damage or injury
I know that split ends and damage of that magnitude cannot be reversed, but damage can be repaired. Damaged hair can be resotred to a sound condition after damage. I turned my dry, lifeless, porous, "damaged" hair completely around in 3 months with the right techniques and products. So I do believe that some types of damage can be repaired.

Last edited:
I think that its interesting to note that you right off the bat equated damage with a relaxer.
The term "damaged" is relative. Your question is thus very broad. I know that split ends and damage of that magnitude cannot be repaired. But other damage can be repaired. I turned my dry, lifeless, porous, "damaged" hair completely around in 3 months with the right techniques and products. So I do believe that some types of damage can be repaired.

IA: The term 'damaged' is very relative. B/c when I suffered what I considered 'damage' from a Salon mishap ie. overprocessing, severe chemical damage, 90% my hair fell out within a couple of months in some places all the way down to the NG. I was unable to stop ithe madness and had to let it take it's full course. However, the hair that was left, once I became a DIY, is becoming healthy, stronger, less porous, more in balance with moisture/protein. I will eventually trim/cut the hair that is left.

Last edited:
I think that its interesting to note that you right off the bat equated damage with a relaxer. That's kind of a faulty analogy.

Repair--To restore to sound condition after damage or injury
I know that split ends and damage of that magnitude cannot be reversed, but damage can be repaired. Damaged hair can be resotred to a sound condition after damage. I turned my dry, lifeless, porous, "damaged" hair completely around in 3 months with the right techniques and products. So I do believe that some types of damage can be repaired.

IA: The term 'damaged' is very relative. B/c when I suffered what I considered 'damage' from a Salon mishap ie. overprocessing, severe chemical damage, 90% my hair fell out within a couple of months in some places all the way down to the NG. I was unable to stop ithe madness and how to let it take it's full course. However, the hair that was left, once I became a DIY, is becoming healthy, stronger, less porous, more in balance with moisture/protein. I will eventually trim/cut the hair that is left.

I agree with both of you. And thats why I was wondering can damage hair really be repaired (or somewhat fixed) because my overprocessed ends seem to be getting healthier..

Dry/lifeless/porous/frizzy hair is not damaged...those problems can be corrected with gentle care and handling. The hair is unhealthy, but not beyond repair. If it can be fixed by a moisturizer, conditioner, or a change in hair care practices, then it's not damaged.

Damaged hair is structurally compromised...cuticle layers missing or bonds within the hair being permanently broken (for example, relaxing). When hair is damaged, it is beyond repair. For pictorial examples, see Nonie's post.

This is why so many people end up cutting their hair for no reason, they think dry=damaged or frizzy=damaged or dull=damaged. If it were actually damaged, you wouldn't be able to fix it.

I was just about to say that msa. I am amazed when we have polls like this. We can all have our opinions but the fact is that damaged hair can't be repaired. This is different than hair that looks bad being given a little TLC until it looks beter.

As far as henna is concerned (this is the only permanent "fix" that we have discussed so far) have a look at this:

henna.jpg

"Can Henna 'fix/repair/mend' split ends? Unfortunately the only known remedy for split ends is a pair of scissors. Remember that the dye in Henna (Lawsone) is highly attracted to protein. It therefore will form bonds with hair directly as opposed to bonding to itself to seal up the split end."
http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/04/splitting-hairs-chemical-schemical.html

Last edited:
I was just about to say that msa. I am amazed when we have polls like this. We can all have our opinions but the fact is that damaged hair can't be repaired. This is different than hair that looks bad being given a little TLC until it looks beter.

I am amazed as well. It just doesn't make sense...you can't fix damaged hair. You just can't.

And I love The Natural Haven...it's one of my favorite blogs.

I just discovered it after reading soliel's post about penetrating oils. Y'all have been trying to keep all the goodness to yourselves.

I just discovered it after reading soliel's post about penetrating oils. Y'all have been trying to keep all the goodness to yourselves.

I discovered it because I'm always on blackgirllonghair.blogspot.com.

I posted about it in Hairapy's blog thread in off topic though.

If I discover anything new I'll definitely drop you a pm.

Back