Votes: 33 3.2%
  • No, I haven't but I've always wanted to

Votes: 518 49.6%
  • Nope, never considered it

Votes: 200 19.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks so much for your pioneering ways, Cherokia-Rose! I am so thankful to you. Your mix sounds just :lick:. I have to hold off til I get back from Philly to experiment but you have inspired me. Thanks, again.

I haven't Hendigo'd since early November and the hasn't faded.:look: This was my first time. I love it and will do it again in a few weeks!:yep:

I just mixed up some Morracan henna from Henna Sooq to do a treatment tomorrow.

I am 9 weeks post relaxer and should wait until after I relax but my grays are not cooperating. :nono:

On Sunday, I used the last 3 blocks of my LUSH Caca Noir..almost all of my strands are black, although there is a patch of my hair that is still a dark burgundy!
It was relatively hard to crush the blcosk up and although I used a food processor there were still clumps of the henna. I'm going back to using the regular powder and I plan on doing another heenna and indigo treatment in about 3 weeks.

I just mixed up some Morracan henna from Henna Sooq to do a treatment tomorrow.

I am 9 weeks post relaxer and should wait until after I relax but my grays are not cooperating. :nono:

Girl JN, my hair does not like to be henna'ed when I am due for a relaxer. It acts all weird and stuff. It gets so hard to detangle, I don't even do it anymore - so I always wait until after my relaxer now and I try never to henna my hair after 5/6 weeks post my relaxer anymore.

Girl JN, my hair does not like to be henna'ed when I am due for a relaxer. It acts all weird and stuff. It gets so hard to detangle, I don't even do it anymore - so I always wait until after my relaxer now and I try never to henna my hair after 5/6 weeks post my relaxer anymore.

Happy New Year Aggie! Yeah, I know I shouldn't but I have to. My hairdresser recently lost his mother and is in mourning so he won't be doing hair for a while; maybe another 2-3 weeks. So I will pretend I am transitioning and do my hair as if.

I pray my hair doesn't act weird and gives me a pass. :look:

On Sunday, I used the last 3 blocks of my LUSH Caca Noir..almost all of my strands are black, although there is a patch of my hair that is still a dark burgundy!
It was relatively hard to crush the blcosk up and although I used a food processor there were still clumps of the henna. I'm going back to using the regular powder and I plan on doing another heenna and indigo treatment in about 3 weeks.

I've always wanted to try the Lush henna but had read about it being hard to powder and rinse.

Happy New Year Aggie! Yeah, I know I shouldn't but I have to. My hairdresser recently lost his mother and is in mourning so he won't be doing hair for a while; maybe another 2-3 weeks. So I will pretend I am transitioning and do my hair as if.

I pray my hair doesn't act weird and gives me a pass. :look:
Happy New Year to you too JN and good luck with the henna treatment:yep:.

Yup. Just got on the henna bandwagon. I'm doing it tomorrow. Love it. My hair loves it. With my LIMS regimen and phony pony, I will be at my goal length in no time.

Important Question!!!!

What if your Henna does not have a date on it. Neither my box of Jamilla or my box of Reshma Henna have the date stamped. Should I just use it anyway for now??? I will order some 2008 henna soon. Are there any major side effects of using non-dated henna???

thanks girls!!!

Important Question!!!!

What if your Henna does not have a date on it. Neither my box of Jamilla or my box of Reshma Henna have the date stamped. Should I just use it anyway for now??? I will order some 2008 henna soon. Are there any major side effects of using non-dated henna???

thanks girls!!!

I don't know of any side effects except maybe it losing some of it's strength. If you're not sure how it will react on your hair , why not mix up a tiny batch & try it on hair harvested from your comb? This is what I did when I first tried Henna. HTH

Last edited:
I don't know of any side effects except maybe it losing some of it's strength. If you're not sure how how it will react on your hair , why not mix up a tiny batch & try it on hair harvested from your comb? This is what I did when I first tried Henna. HTH

Okay, I mixed some henna (just water and henna) and then put it on the radiator or about two hours. then I dipped the hair from my brush in it and now they are sitting on some plastic.

How will I know if it is good/worked??? How long should I leave it on he harvested hair???

Okay, I mixed some henna (just water and henna) and then put it on the radiator or about two hours. then I dipped the hair from my brush in it and now they are sitting on some plastic.

How will I know if it is good/worked??? How long should I leave it on he harvested hair???

I would leave it the same amount of time you leave it on your head, a few hours maybe.... Then I would rinse it & dry in a paper towel. Then check for color deposit, strength, to see if the strands are hard & brittle or break easy. When I did this test. My harvested hair came out super strong & the color took beautifully.

Anyone using Reshma Henna? I used Jamila last time I henna'd but I can't find it in the local Indian stores, just online. I still have one box of Jamila left. I see Reshma in the stores but I haven't heard anything about it.

Henna Sooq, I have a question. Whenever I do the 2 step Henna/Indigo process I can never seem to get my hair as black as I would like. I leave the Henna on from anywhere between 2 and 3 hours, then I do the indigo usually about 2 hours. When I'm done I still see a slight red undertone, A few days later when it darkens up a bit more it's still not JET black, maybe I'm just use to the inky look of commercial dye, but I would like it to be richer, any suggestions??

Henna Sooq, I have a question. Whenever I do the 2 step Henna/Indigo process I can never seem to get my hair as black as I would like. I leave the Henna on from anywhere between 2 and 3 hours, then I do the indigo usually about 2 hours. When I'm done I still see a slight red undertone, A few days later when it darkens up a bit more it's still not JET black, maybe I'm just use to the inky look of commercial dye, but I would like it to be richer, any suggestions??

Are you putting any sea salt in the indigo mix? The sea salt helps to darken stubborn or resistent hair strands. Mine is resistent too and when I added the salt, I noticed an amazing difference in how dark my hair got. The amount of salt I used is in my fotki. For more resistent hair strands the more salt is used. I also allow my hair to dry after the henna application and put it directly on fresh, clean, oil-free henna'ed hair.

I plan on doing the henna and indigo tomorrow. This will be the second time doing the jet black and I love it.

I only get my stuff from hennaforhair.com. I also use the Cassia Obovata. It really helped thicken up my thin strands of hair. I so can't wait til tomorrow:grin:

Are you putting any sea salt in the indigo mix? The sea salt helps to darken stubborn or resistent hair strands. Mine is resistent too and when I added the salt, I noticed an amazing difference in how dark my hair got. The amount of salt I used is in my fotki. For more resistent hair strands the more salt is used. I also allow my hair to dry after the henna application and put it directly on fresh, clean, oil-free henna'ed hair.

Hey thanks Aggie, yeah I did add sea salt, but just a pinch. I don't think I added enough, I'll check out your fotki for measurements, Plus I NEVER let the hair dry after I did the Henna, so I will try this also.:yep:

Platinum, not sure about Reshma but I've heard the ladies talk about it here. I would say buy a box and read the ingredients too. Sometimes they add citric acid to the henna. Which isn't harmful but if you don't want anything that will be drying like citric acid can be, then that should help you decide. Do a hair strand test and see what the results are like.

Jamila would have been safest but I've heard it's sometimes hard to import henna powder into the USA because of the FDA.

I like Aggie's suggestion, flowinlocks. Aggie have you ever used regular salt or only sea salt? We usually use regular salt but if it can be proven that sea salt is actually better I'd like to add that to our recommendations as well.
Flowinlocks, I'd also like to ask which henna do you use? Maybe if you switch to a less deep red henna it might give better richer black results. In my experience to go towards brown to black tones with no red hints, we usually recommend the moroccan henna. it seems to blend really well. and this is important for our male clients as they're hair is so short they don't want red tones, they want the browner to dark tones more so.

Aggie you got the indigo perhaps sticking better because indigo is already runny and since you aren't applying onto damp hair, you're saying this is probably better. This is a good idea. We all try different ways that work for us, and that's why I enjoy all of these recipes and methods. Always find something new.

Aggie, could you post here what the quantity of the salt is that you use?

Platinum, not sure about Reshma but I've heard the ladies talk about it here. I would say buy a box and read the ingredients too. Sometimes they add citric acid to the henna. Which isn't harmful but if you don't want anything that will be drying like citric acid can be, then that should help you decide. Do a hair strand test and see what the results are like.

Jamila would have been safest but I've heard it's sometimes hard to import henna powder into the USA because of the FDA.

I like Aggie's suggestion, flowinlocks. Aggie have you ever used regular salt or only sea salt? We usually use regular salt but if it can be proven that sea salt is actually better I'd like to add that to our recommendations as well.
Flowinlocks, I'd also like to ask which henna do you use? Maybe if you switch to a less deep red henna it might give better richer black results. In my experience to go towards brown to black tones with no red hints, we usually recommend the moroccan henna. it seems to blend really well. and this is important for our male clients as they're hair is so short they don't want red tones, they want the browner to dark tones more so.

Aggie you got the indigo perhaps sticking better because indigo is already runny and since you aren't applying onto damp hair, you're saying this is probably better. This is a good idea. We all try different ways that work for us, and that's why I enjoy all of these recipes and methods. Always find something new.

I'm using your Henna & Indigo

Big Smiles :grin:

I apologize. What I meant was which henna powder are you using? Specifically the country of origin? Moroccan tends to give off the least deep red tone in comparison to the other 3 henna powders we have.

I like Aggie's suggestion, flowinlocks. Aggie have you ever used regular salt or only sea salt? No I haven't used regular salt before, only the sea salt.

Aggie, could you post here what the quantity of the salt is that you use? I use about a half to 3/4 of a Tablespoon full in 2 boxes (200 grams of indigo).

Here's my actual recipe for my indigo mix:

My Indigo Mixture for After-Henna Treatment
Jun 6, 2008 I only do a very simple indigo mixture as indigo does not co-operate well with a lot of other powders and conditioners or oils. So here is my simple Indigo recipe:

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
--200 grams, ie, 2 boxes (about 7oz) of indigo
--Distilled water (hot but not boiling water)
--.5 Tablespoons of sea salt
--plastic wrap
--foil wrap
--newspaper to spread on the floor during application
--Old dark towel for shoulders
--Paper towels to wipe up excess spills/droplets of indigo paste

RECIPE INSTRUCTIONS:

-Mix all the ingredients in a plastic bowl to the consistency of a thick yogurt-like paste. I make sure my hair is air dried after the henna treatment and free of any shampoo, conditioner and oils.

-I apply the indigo to my henna-ed hair from roots to tips immediately after mixing. The indigo color does not have to release, it must be applied right away because it will lose it's coloring properties if allowed to sit too long.

-I then wrap my hair air-tight for 1-2 hours with plastic wrap and foil wrap.

-I then wash out the indigo with lots of water and cheapie conditioner for at least 8-10 times.

-I end the whole process with deep conditioning for at least 3-4 hours - half of the time with heat and half without. Sometimes I will sleep with my DC on my hair overnight depending on whether or not it's on a weekend and I have the time.

UPDATE:
MY HAIR CAME OUT PRETTY BLACK THIS TIME. I LOVED IT!!!

By the way, thank you Henna Sooq.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm so happy with it. Ok, this sounds like a lot of stuff, but it was really very simple once I understood what you were supposed to do.

I brought my henna from hennaforhair.com. The owner sells body quality henna which can be used safely over other chemicals. I've used commercial dyes and relaxer on my hair so I was worred about interactions between regular henna and my hair.

I got my recipe from hennaforhair too. They actually have bunch of recipes depending on what color you want (http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/index.html).
  • I mixed:
100g of henna
enough lemon juice concentrate to make an icing-like paste
couple tablespoons of tumeric to warm the color
1/4 cup of amla powder that i also brought from hennaforhair.
2 tablespoons of olive oil to counteract the intensity (and drying) of the lemon concentrate
Some coffee grounds to darken the color (duh! grounds don't dissolve):(
20 drops of lemon essential oil (anything will work, but it changed the smell from hay to lemon cake icing, yay) :)
  • I left it in the garage overnight (about 17 hours) until the dye released. You can tell if it release by leaving a little piece of paper towel in the container. The paper will be stained orange when the dye is ready for use.
  • I applied it like you would a relaxer
  • Wrapped my head in plastic wrap and sat under under the bonnet dryer for an hour
I think I went a bit overboard on the mix. Next time I henna (this weekend), I'm going to use henna, ACV, and strongly brewed coffee and that's it. I might order more amla powder. My hair loves that stuff. But one thing's for sure, I won't be dying my hair with anything else.

I need to try this to get away from these chemical dyes that I know are not healthy on my hair.....or for my body and total health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back