Do men make better stylist than women???

Do men make better stylists than women?

• Yes, men make better stylists.

Votes: 61 60.4%
  • No, not at all!

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I think they are both about the same.

Votes: 34 33.7%

• Total voters

thaidreams

Over the weekend I was talking to one of my close friends and her sister. They both have full, thick, WL hair (I've attached some pics of my friend's hair both straight and curly just for the fun of it--she's 100% natural) and they were saying that they believe one of the main reasons they've been able to retain their length was by keeping their routine simple and not going to the salon. I was a little taken back by their anti-salon policy and they both stated that in the past when they went to the salon the women their were always jealous of their hair and would make rude comments, complain about having to deal with all their length, or just flat out try to ruin their hair so that they would have to cut it. My friends sister then commented that the only way she would go to the salon was if a man was going to be styling her hair. According to her, men have no reason to hate and they just take pride in make a womans hair look beautiful.

Needless to say, my friends comments got me thinking. Do you all feel that men make better stylists than women? If so, what is your reasoning. Also, do you feel female stylist hate on clients with longer hair than theirs?:rolleyes:?

Attachments

• n637043043_950958_9558.jpg
    n637043043_950958_9558.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 228
  • DSCN0059.jpg
    DSCN0059.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 234
Some of the best work I've seen have been by male stylists (thinking of Anthony Dickey). I've never been to a male stylist before but I'm not opposed to doing so.

I think it's true. I find their technique superior to most women stylist. My guess is because most men don't usually have much hair, so there are no bad habits to break once they go to cosmetology school, they learn how to do things the right way...women usually have a ton of bad habits they've learned over the years in managing their own hair on a daily basis.

Last edited:
Hell yes it's true. My fav Dominican stylist Randy has long hair and does wonders with mine. I love it. He has the best technique ever. No disrespect to my other female stylists tho lol.

I had a man do my hair once.

I showed him a picture and he cut my hair EXACTLY like the picture.

I need to find him again but the only thing i didn't like was that he had a wash girl do half his work including the relaxer....he just did the cut and finishing style.

I wanted him to do EVERYTHING. I liked having a man in my hair...

OT, how many straight men do yall see doing hair? :look:

Do you all feel that men make better stylists than women? If so, what is your reasoning. Also, do you feel female stylist hate on clients with longer hair than theirs?:rolleyes:?

I cannot answer the first question for sure, but I can definately answer the second one...YES, YES AND YES!

My hair is not even long, but is longer than all but 1 of the stylists I've ever had.
I really think most have tried to purposefully and slyly mess my hair up after they say things like 'your hair so long' or 'you have nice hair' ... Chemically or otherwise they try to mess it up and they are SO rough with it. I have to tell them that they are hurting my scalp when they comb it or that the relaxer needs washing out over and over again. My natural hair ain't even coarse. They just don't handle it with care which is why I never go back to those haters.
I do watch them and it seems that if the client has short hair, they are more gentle and considerate... what is that?
Another thing I can't understand is why their hair is in such bad condition. A lot of the time its jacked up, dry and breaking badly.
I KNOW NOW ITS NOT A GOOD IDEA TO SIT IN A CHAIR TO GET YOUR HAIR DONE BY A STYLIST WITH JACKED UP HAIR.
I've found a stylist who I like now who has APL hair, but what will happen when I reach BSL if she's still APL :ohwell:?

Yes yes yes and the same with makeup artists too.

I think that because cosmetology industry was originally dominated by females (still is) men feel that they need to work that extra hard and go the extra mile to get a break. Besides the vast majority of stylists are gay and they put their ALL into ANYTHING that they do! They have an eye for style and they enjoy making the world a pretty place lol.

I think it's true. I find their technique superior to most women stylist. My guess is because most men don't usually have much hair, so there are no bad habits to break once they go to cosmetology school, they learn how to do things the right way...women usually have a ton of bad habits they've learned over the years in managing their own hair on a daily basis.

Yes I definitely agree with that.

I guess it depends.

However, the best stylists I have had were men. My hair, makeup etc were amazing.

My mom always talks about the one hair stylist she used to go to when she was younger who helped her retain ALOT of length. She went from Ear length/Neck length to APL in a year with him! After she moved with my dad, she went to a new stylist who sadly cut all of her length off saying it was damaged when it wasn't :nono: She swears by male stylists though and always tells me that Old Wives Tale that when you get your hair done by a man (cut/ styled/ whatever) that it grows faster/longer. Maybe there's some truth to that???? :lachen:

One of the best stylist my mom ever had was a man. He would keep her precision cuts so tight and clean and perfect! His wife was in the airforce, and he would do hair in their basement. All the military wives were trying to get him to hook them up.

One of the worst stylists I've ever had was a man. He had my hair so screwed up as a teen, and gave me the fugliest hair cut of my life.

So I think they vary, just like the women.

I had a male stylist named DeAndre who used to press my hair when I was 12. Yeah, my mama had me spoiled, taking me downtown amidst the boutiques and traffic to get my hair did by the infamous DeAndre.

Funny thing, on my first visit (remember, I'm 12) he said, "I ain't gay, I just like to do hair". Um...I don't care. Just do my hair. By the way, what's gay? Yeah, I was sheltered :look: He only had one client at a time because he said he was not down with the catty, gossip-driven atmosphere of other salons.

He was only open like 3-4 days out of the week. The bad part: I discovered that day what scissor happy meant. He wanted every strand of hair on my head perfect. That first day, I remember one of his older clients was leaving as my mom and I stepped in, she whispered in my ear, "He likes to cut, so unless you want really short hair, you betta tell him now!"

i have had two men ever do my hair and even though one was better than the other, they were still better than the women who have done it

My stylist was a man and he was really good. im glad i had him instead of any of the female stylists. Not sure whether he was better or not but from what i saw he was a lot more gentle than the female stylists in the salon.

I agree. I have been styled by men and women and I alwasy find that men don't try to cut all your progress off. Whever I try a new salon, I always ask if they have a male stylist and i request him.
I pick men over women in a salon any day...

I generally agree that Male Stylists are superior in general. Not in every single case.
I think part of this is because Men who decided to go into this line of work did not make the decision lightly. If you find a STRAIGHT man who does hair....you best believe he is the ISH!

I've only had 1 man do my hair (once) and he did do a great job but I can't say men are better than women.

DH had a male stylist for a while but now uses a woman and DH says they are both great....about the same.

I believe men make better stylists :yep:

I've always thought so.

All of my sisters get their hair done by a man who says he only does hair how he'd like his girlfriends hair to look :) their hair always looks perfect :)

Yes, men tend to be less biased and will work harder at achieving the look you want. It's been my experience that SOME female stylists and makeup artists can be catty and will make you look ok but not slammin because of their own insecurities, i.e., "how DARE she look better than me? Not gonna let it happen."

I have never gone to a man myself. When I think about it, everyone that I know who has a male stylist has great hair. Hmmm

It depends. You have good male stylist and good female stylist. You also have bad male and female stylist. It all depends. Yes, you have many female stylist that can be catty and jealous and will damage your hair on purpose. When you encounter those types, then you need to put them on blast. You have males that do it too, but not as much. It all depends.

The best stylists I've ever had have been men. They can get my hair swinging. My hair was the healthiest when I went regularly to a man stylist. I've never had a female stylist that good. But I'm sure there are some female stylists who are great, I just haven't encountered any.

I had my hair done before by a man stylist..relaxed,cut and styled. I also had my hair done by alot of women stylist..relaxed,cut and styled. Out of all the women stylist that ever did my hair I have to say this man was better. He was consistent and enjoyed doing his job. I definitely got what I paid for. However, this was yrs ago and I don't know where he could be found now. I'm going to make a salon visit in April and I plan on going to a male stylist that is suppose to be excellent..so I'm excited about that.

Women can adopt silly superiority(Dont tell me what to do, i'm the hair dresser!!)/inferiority ( She thinks she's all that!!) complexes that can affect their work...

so yes. I think men make better stylists.

i don't know but i had a man braid my hair better than anyone ever has before all this has got me wanting to get my hair back in shape by a man....any in north MD?

I think its very true. Women in general hate so much on other women that its just mind blowing. When it comes to trimming I would much rather go to the barber shop than a beauty salon

Back