DIY: Do It Yourself - Are you a DIY'er? Do you want to be? Prefer not to be?

As far as being a Do It Yourselfer (DIY) goes....

• I'm currently a DIY'er, I do pretty much all for my hair needs

Votes: 98 66.2%
  • I'm close to being a DIY'er, still working on one or two things

Votes: 35 23.6%
  • I aspire to being a DIY'er, still need to learn some things, so I still frequent the salon

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • I am not a DIY'er, I prefer to go to the salon

Votes: 3 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
  • But I digress, are you currently a DIY'er? Do you feel a sense of satisfaction of doing everything for yourself? Do you feel tired of having to do it all?
:gorgeous:
I'm a DIY and sometimes I get tired when I have to flatiron my SL hair for 1.5 hours... how will it be when I'm BSL?:ohwell:

On the other hand I LOVE washing and co-washingand playing in my hair... I usually don't mind doing activities that will ruin my hair-do because I know I can fix it myself later.Having fun is more important then worrying about my hair-do.
  • Are you close to being a DIY'er -where you do mostly everything, but there are still one or two things you can't yet do for yourself?
I can't rollerset,I tried it once it wasn't bad and I have to say the one time I got it done in a salon it wasn't THAT much better.
Still i currently don't have a dryer and i'm not compelled to buy one.Rollersets are not my top priorty since they make my already very thick hair even thicker:perplexed

I can braid my own hair with extensions but i'm too lazy and I can't cornrow.
I'am not really interested in cornrowing or extensions since I prefer wearing my own hair,this might be a option tough if I should become pregnant or when iIhave a baby.
  • Are you an aspiring DIY'er but you haven't gotten it all down yet? What have you mastered so far?
N/A

Please share....

I'm a hardcore DIY'er - if I can't do it myself, it doesn't get done. I can't afford the money, time, or hair wasted trying out folx to find one that satisfies me. :ohwell: What can I say, I'm picky as hell about who touches my hair. :lachen:

Amen, sister. Amen :)

I really wanna master rollersetting and relaxers...But as far as the relaxer, I think I just need a timer because I get so scared that my hair will fall out and then wash it out....:ohwell:

Ahhhh it is SO good to be back!!! Its polls and threads like this that
make me feel right at home!!:yep:

I'm a 100% do it yourselfer!!:grin: I do everything to my hair: relax, braid, twist outs, treatments....In fact, I'm the only one allowed in my hair besides

Honey Child's salon in Chicago

and Andre Oprah's hair stylist.

And I can't afford either one of them!:lachen:

see?:yep:

Hi, I'm a newbie on the block. This is an excellent thread. I am a DIY-er also save relaxing and trimming with some decent results. I want to become a total DIY-er because I feel more in control of my hair's progress. I am pretty familiar with relaxing and trimming but haven't had the belly to actually try it, but I'm going to though. Any tips from those who are total DIY-ers?

Safie

Practice makes perfect. :yep:

I'm almost a complete DIYer. I still go to a salon for relaxer retouches. I did my own relaxer once back in June, texlaxed by accident (I didn't leave the relaxer on for long enough) and didn't like it. LOL. For now, I don't mind going to the salon. But I know with practice, I can get better at doing my own retouches. The only people I will let trim my hair are my mother and my aunt. So eventually, I will be a complete DIYer. :grin: It's mos def cheaper!

I'm a DIY'er , I can dust, twist ,flatiron , wash, blow dry,steam, set, (me no like braids" French braid , bun, and as of today ...I did my own color . Not to say I won't still be on the hunt for a safe stylist who can flatiron..it would be nice to have someone else do my hair even 2 times per year:rolleyes:

:bump: :bump: for the New Year!!!

2008 will be my first year being a complete DIY (with the exception of my cousin doing two touch ups for me this year) - so my progress or lack thereof will solely rest on my shoulders - just like my hair sensei...

no cussin about the Dominican stylist commenting about my hair or ripping all through it... no Shanaynae's kids running around me with Cheese Doodle residue and/or random piece of sticky candy in hand...no more random chick watching you while you're getting your hair rolled.

Done.

Done.

Done.

*raises brown fist in the air*

I'm a DIY'er. I figure no one will take care of my hair better than me. For the things I don't know how to do, I will just keep on trying until I get it or it just won't get done.

Ditto what she said :yep:.... There were times when I was going to the salon every week and then other times every other week and the truth of the matter is at no time has my hair thrived like it has now... I have been a DIY'er for the last 3 years and I am amazed at the progress I continue to make...:grin:

I'm a DIY'er. I figure no one will take care of my hair better than me. For the things I don't know how to do, I will just keep on trying until I get it or it just won't get done.

Back