Divorcing husband wants kidney back

septemberbaby

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2008602531_kidney08.html?syndication=rss

Divorcing husband wants kidney back

When his wife needed a kidney transplant, Dr. Richard Batista gave her one of his, attorney Dominic Barbara said. Now that Dawnell Batista has filed for a divorce, Richard Batista wants his kidney back as part of his settlement demand. Or, Barbara said Wednesday, his client wants the value of that kidney: An estimated $1.5 million.
By Chau Lam and Ridgely Ochs
Newsday

GARDEN CITY, N.Y. — When his wife needed a kidney transplant, Dr. Richard Batista gave her one of his, attorney Dominic Barbara said.
Now that Dawnell Batista has filed for a divorce, Richard Batista wants his kidney back as part of his settlement demand. Or, Barbara said Wednesday, his client wants the value of that kidney: An estimated $1.5 million.
The case is being heard in Supreme Court in Mineola, N.Y.
Barbara said his client, a 49-year-old doctor from Ronkonkoma who graduated from Cornell University Medical School in 1995, married Dawnell Batista on Aug. 31, 1990. The couple had three children, now ages 14, 11 and 8.
After she had two failed transplants, Barbara said, his client donated a kidney to his wife in an operation at the University of Minnesota Medical Center on June 18, 2001.
Richard Batista said his marriage at the time was on the rocks because of the strain of his wife's medical issues.
"My first priority was to save her life," Batista said at a news conference in Garden City. "The second bonus was to turn the marriage around."
Dawnell Batista, 44, of Massapequa, filed for divorce in July 2005, Barbara said.
Neither she nor her attorney, Douglas Rothkopf, of Garden City, could immediately be reached for comment. A receptionist at Rothkopf's office said he was in court.
Medical ethicists agreed that the case is a nonstarter. Asked how likely it would be for the doctor to either get his kidney back or get money for it, Arthur Caplan at the University of Pennsylvania's Center for Bioethics, put it as "somewhere between impossible and completely impossible."
First and foremost, said Robert Veatch, a medical ethicist at Georgetown University's Kennedy Institute of Ethics, "it's illegal for an organ to be exchanged for anything of value." Organs in the United States may not be bought or sold. Donating an organ is a gift and legally "when you give something, you can't get it back," he said.
"It's her kidney now and ... taking the kidney out would mean she would have to go on dialysis or it would kill her," Veatch said.
Nor can you assign a subsequent monetary value to an organ, Caplan said. "There's nothing later (you can get) in terms of compensation if you regret your gift," he said.

^^^ Yes this is a vindictive man but with good reasons. How you're gonna cheat on a man who gave you his kidney?

I don't think he has any recourse if he does not want the kidney back. It is illegal to sell body part and to compensate him would denote a sale.

I guess I kinda understand where hes coming from.:look:

If I gave my kidney to Mr Lewis and he later left me I would want my kidney back to.

Thats why you shouldn't give if you expect something in return.

^^^ Yes this is a vindictive man but with good reasons. How you're gonna cheat on a man who gave you his kidney?

I don't think he has any recourse if he does not want the kidney back. It is illegal to sell body part and to compensate him would denote a sale.

Oh, she cheated? ummm, I def understand.

Nothing he can do now.:nono:

In his position, I would feel so violated. She's had a total of 3 kidney transplants. Was he instrumental in getting her to the top of the transplant list twice?

At least he went the legal route instead of resorting to street justice. He sounds like a very dedicated husband....Or is he just incredibly controlling? Doctors are required to be very precise in their work. It's easy to impose those type A expectations on others.

In his position, I would feel so violated. She's had a total of 3 kidney transplants. Was he instrumental in getting her to the top of the transplant list twice?

At least he went the legal route instead of resorting to street justice. He sounds like a very dedicated husband....Or is he just incredibly controlling? Doctors are required to be very precise in their work. It's easy to impose those type A expectations on others.

1st bolded: probably. Some people wait YEARS on the list. My dh waited 7 years for his.

2nd bolded: he said that he was a very dedicated husband.

I dont think he's crazy. Love will make you do crazy things though. I can understand where he's coming from. He saved her life and she seems very unappreciative and caretaking is not an easy job. I'm sure she was sick a lot. I wouldn't want to have given my husband a kidney so he can go f off with other women either....sad case. Unfortunately, he's gonna have to deal with it

I totally understand. He said that he really didn't want the kidney back, just the price of it. They said either give him the kidney or give 1.5 million.
I am on his side. He was very calm when he explain that he felt disrespected as a dedicated husband, father and man. He risked his life for this woman. Even though a human can live with one kidney, it puts you at risk for health problems. What if he was to get into an accident or something? He now has no backup since he gave her that kidney. This man risked his life and his health for her. If he was some type of evil, controlling man, she should have respectfully divorced him, especially knowing that he could hold it over her head. Even if there is more to the story (he cheated, he wasn't attentive, etc) that still does not excuse her cheating since he did this for her.

I think its interesting that its all he wants. He said she could keep the house and everything else, he just wants his kidney. I would too. I made myself incomplete for you on the faith that we would remain whole (in marriage) and you betrayed that?
SMDH

I totally understand. He said that he really didn't want the kidney back, just the price of it. They said either give him the kidney or give 1.5 million.
I am on his side. He was very calm when he explain that he felt disrespected as a dedicated husband, father and man. He risked his life for this woman. Even though a human can live with one kidney, it puts you at risk for health problems. What if he was to get into an accident or something? He now has no backup since he gave her that kidney. This man risked his life and his health for her. If he was some type of evil, controlling man, she should have respectfully divorced him, especially knowing that he could hold it over her head. Even if there is more to the story (he cheated, he wasn't attentive, etc) that still does not excuse her cheating since he did this for her.

I think its interesting that its all he wants. He said she could keep the house and everything else, he just wants his kidney. I would too. I made myself incomplete for you on the faith that we would remain whole (in marriage) and you betrayed that?
SMDH

That's because she done had three kidney transplant so she is more likely to need a 4th one whether he gets his back or not. She's acting stink cause she must think there is a kidney tree out there. Most people are not fortunate enough to get one, she already got three.

More Info

44401589.jpg

Dr. Richard Batista, a local doctor who donated his kidney to his wife, claims he had no idea his wife was having affair at the time he gave her the gift and now wants it back as part of the couple's divorce. He also said he would accept monetary damages instead, which experts estimate at $1.5 million. "She slapped me with divorce papers when I was in surgery trying to save another person's life," he told the newspaper. He says he is only suing Dawnell to get to her act reasonably in the divorce case, claiming she is restricting access to their children, aged 8, 11 and 14.

(Photo by Howard Schnapp)

44401633.jpg

wife

I dont think he's crazy. Love will make you do crazy things though. I can understand where he's coming from. He saved her life and she seems very unappreciative and caretaking is not an easy job. I'm sure she was sick a lot. I wouldn't want to have given my husband a kidney so he can go f off with other women either....sad case. Unfortunately, he's gonna have to deal with it

ITA. Its really messed up and heaven forbid if that ever happened to me, I would want that spouse to die.

She used him and that is so wrong. But karma is a &$%@.

For about half that, there are people that would secure the kidney for him.

She was having an affair at the time he gave her his kidney?!!??!? How can you cheat on somebody and ask for their kidney?

I hope he doesn't take the value of it out on her @$$. Woo lawd. She knows she's wrong.

He would officially need to go somewhere with that BS because after three kids?! I'd want the value of my pre-birth body back. *********!!!!!!!!!!!

:ohwell:MEN and their attorneys!

Last edited:
Did he buy her some boobs too? He should ask for those back as well.

It's sad that this old hag used her husband like this because you know if he had abused her, cheated on her or mistreated her in any way she would have said so. She the type that will turn a good man bad.

He's entitled to his stupidity and bitterness. The attorney should be fined for filing a frivolous claim.

She's looking really bad right now, but I wonder if throughout their marriage, had he cheated on her and done her wrong, but it hasn't come out yet!!! Men take cheating much harder, than women, and even if he had cheated in the past, how dare she do the same.

No amount of flesh will compensate him for the pain of dealing with her.:nono:

I'll never understand folks who litigate for time loss, pain and suffering in relationships...:nono:

He is prolonging the process of healing, losing even more time, and most importantly losing his soul in the chase...

Let her go. Let your self go...:ohwell:

Back