Discouraged 4a/4bs... this thread's for you!!!

Re: Discouraged 4a/4bs... this thread\'s for you!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Jessy55 said:
[ QUOTE ]
AJamericanDiva said:
[ QUOTE ]
Jessy55 said:
Girl, say no more! You've talked me into it!
laugh.gif
I'm gonna buy some hair and I'm gonna braid my own hair this weekend. Hairbraiding challenge, here I come!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OK... do your thang, Girl! If you ever get tired of the braids, you can always take a break. I've only had braids 4 time from March to present, so it's not mandatory to get good growth. In between the braids do protective styles...
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I am braiding my hair as I am typing.
laugh.gif

I plan to wear braids for about 6 weeks, then be loose for 2 weeks while wearing protective styles, then resume braiding again for 6 weeks and so forth. My hair is badly in need of a rest. I had been going to the pool 4 times a week and the manipulation was taking its toll. Thank you for being such an inspiration!
clap.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm happy to have inspired you, Miss Jessy!
smile.gif
This was to by my intended regimen too, but with my hairline so fragile with the postpartum shedding, I wonder if I should postpone this until it's back to its normal state... maybe I should see a dermatologist... maybe there's something they could do.....

[ QUOTE ]
myhairsos said:
AJD,
This thread and your growth are truly awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

wave.gif
Thanks, Myhairsos!!!

i woild love to braid my hair, for protectivestyling,but my hair line is also soo fragile from yrs of abuse...i dont wanna run a risk of damaging them more...but i soooo wanna do something so i wont be tempted to relax...

[ QUOTE ]
asummertyme said:
i woild love to braid my hair, for protectivestyling,but my hair line is also soo fragile from yrs of abuse...i dont wanna run a risk of damaging them more...but i soooo wanna do something so i wont be tempted to relax...

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think a phony pony would help???
look.gif

Thank you for the inspiration AJD, you really helped to encourage. Have you tried any scalp massages with an EO like rosemary oil to help stimulate growth on your hairline? That may help.

P.S. You know you aren't 'possed to be wearin' no sexy azzed bra yet! j/k
laugh.gif

Hey Jamerican Diva! My SistaGyrl shoot was just something we did as close girlfriends. No singing group- I sound like a dying cow when I sing! LOL!

This board is on FY-ya I love your hair and your whole disposition you are an inspiration... I will be wearing braids for the entire winter with little breaks in between... Brooklyn braiders watch out AJamericanDivaFAN is comming to a store near you .
smile.gif
Thanks for the inspiration especially with my recent mishap.

Dang it! I want my hair braided! Diva you're hair is awsome!

My hair can't stand braids. The strands are so fine, the braid hair would cut them, like they did to me before.

I am still discouraged, and a teensy bit jealous [I'm sorry]. I just don't think my hair will make it to brastrap, though I am trying really hard.

It is longer now than it has ever been [usually 2 inches or 3 below shoulder length was all the length I got].

...fighting back tears of frustration and sibling rivalry... If I can't make it, I am glad you will.

Beautiful hair awesome length. What type of hair do you use human or synthetic. I've been using synthetic, but believe it's damaging my hair. But with the human, I just don't like the ends. If you use human how do you secure your ends. Keep up the good, no excellent work.

[ QUOTE ]
GiGi said:
Thank you for the inspiration AJD, you really helped to encourage. Have you tried any scalp massages with an EO like rosemary oil to help stimulate growth on your hairline? That may help.

P.S. You know you aren't 'possed to be wearin' no sexy azzed bra yet! j/k
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, Gigi!!! I was thinking of using the rosemary oil and do a massage, but the heat of summer has the vapors rising..
lachen70.gif
As for the bra, I wore that for a quick minute to escape the Grammamma maternity nursing bra, which I am back in. Ain't trying to have my bubbies hangin' to my knees when I'm done breastfeeding!!! At the rate this boy is eating, I'll probably have to collect a fund to get new boobs!!!
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Bklynqueen said:
Hey Jamerican Diva! My SistaGyrl shoot was just something we did as close girlfriends. No singing group- I sound like a dying cow when I sing! LOL!

[/ QUOTE ]

In any case, ya'll look cute.
smile.gif
So I take it I won't have any competition from you the upcoming American Idol tour????
lachen70.gif

[ QUOTE ]
melodee said:
Wonderful hair and story, Diva!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Miss Melodee!!!!!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
deeshortesthair said:
This board is on FY-ya I love your hair and your whole disposition you are an inspiration... I will be wearing braids for the entire winter with little breaks in between... Brooklyn braiders watch out AJamericanDivaFAN is comming to a store near you .
smile.gif
Thanks for the inspiration especially with my recent mishap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gyal, yu does mek mi blush!!!
laugh.gif
Thanks for your sweet wordsl Your plan sounds good, but word of caution... only let people braid your hair who won't hinder your progress. I tried an African Hair braiding place for my daughter once, prior to her relaxing days....
naughty.gif
they were practically ripping out her hair and braiding it mad tight. Don't let them jack you up like that. Also, tell the braider to go easy on the hairline. Reasons like these were cause for me to learn how to braid. The last two people who did my hair, I noticed left out stray strands here and there... i.e. the couple strands weren't in the braid at all or hanging out of the braid. That can be dangerous to length as it snaps off and you end up with short pieces here and there.... So wha', we jumping up on the Parkway this year????

[ QUOTE ]
godzooki said:
Dang it! I want my hair braided! Diva you're hair is awsome!

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, I was peeping your growth as well. You got a lot of new growth to tame...
smile.gif
We've come a long way. I remember back when you were with that Pat, the scissor happy stylist until we swore we'd whup your tail if you went back. Seems like just yesterday and look at us now!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
LEOLADYSW said:
My hair can't stand braids. The strands are so fine, the braid hair would cut them, like they did to me before.

I am still discouraged, and a teensy bit jealous [I'm sorry]. I just don't think my hair will make it to brastrap, though I am trying really hard.

It is longer now than it has ever been [usually 2 inches or 3 below shoulder length was all the length I got].

...fighting back tears of frustration and sibling rivalry... If I can't make it, I am glad you will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awwwww, Girl!
kiss.gif
I think you can make it.
smile.gif
Braids are not necessary to get good growth. I shouldn't even say get good growth, as they don't make hair grow, but rather aid in maintaining length. It's OK to voice how you feel as we are all human. The good thing is that you're not trying to force something to "work" for you that you've found to be detrimental. Do you do protective styling? What's your current regimen. For me, I find that buns are a lil' detrimental... could be my bunning technique. The middle of the back layer of my hair breaks off and it leaves a gap. As long as I am able to safely tuck my ends so that they are not exposed, I'm good to go. Holla back, Sweetie! I think you can do this. I'm here if you need me. p.s. Look at my daughter's pic that I have in her hair album... it's also in the album in my signature. She's getting alot of good growth accumulation and has not been in braids since I've been relaxing her. I only take her to the hairdresser for a relaxer. I do everything else myself. I'm here to help if you need me.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ElizaBlue said:
Beautiful hair awesome length. What type of hair do you use human or synthetic. I've been using synthetic, but believe it's damaging my hair. But with the human, I just don't like the ends. If you use human how do you secure your ends. Keep up the good, no excellent work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey there, ElizaBlue... thanks for the compliments! What sort of damage are you getting from the hair? Do you use the kanekalon synthetic hair? I use the kanekalon hair. I like to presoak it first in a diluted vinegar solution and then spray it with braid spray and leave it to dry. I usually just dip the ends in hot water to let them stay. Hope this helps!

Peace and blessings AJamericanDiva,
It seems that you really touched on what so many of us were feeling!!! This thread is on fire!! I have read every post. You have really done a public service with this post. My hair has grown to shoulder length when I have not done anything so special, so I am aiming for the tops of my shoulder baldes maximum. I think that is the most hair that I want to contend with personally. But who knows..I may get there and feel encouraged to go further.

BTW...I want to steal your baby boy and I don't even want kids!! (lol)

One more question....what is that shade of lipstick that you are wearing in the last pic of your Haircare journey album? Your skin is flawless...any tips? As you can tell, I am an LHCF addict. My excuse tonight is that I am at work and bored.

AJD..How fast was your hair growing in that year? Were you getting an inch month or 1/2 inch a month.

Oh - Your daughter's hair is beautiful too!

[ QUOTE ]
AJamericanDiva said:
[ QUOTE ]
LEOLADYSW said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Awwwww, Girl!
kiss.gif
I think you can make it.
smile.gif
Braids are not necessary to get good growth. I shouldn't even say get good growth, as they don't make hair grow, but rather aid in maintaining length. It's OK to voice how you feel as we are all human. The good thing is that you're not trying to force something to "work" for you that you've found to be detrimental. Do you do protective styling? What's your current regimen. For me, I find that buns are a lil' detrimental... could be my bunning technique. The middle of the back layer of my hair breaks off and it leaves a gap. As long as I am able to safely tuck my ends so that they are not exposed, I'm good to go. Holla back, Sweetie! I think you can do this. I'm here if you need me. p.s. Look at my daughter's pic that I have in her hair album... it's also in the album in my signature. She's getting alot of good growth accumulation and has not been in braids since I've been relaxing her. I only take her to the hairdresser for a relaxer. I do everything else myself. I'm here to help if you need me.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you so much for the encouragement and support. You are so sweet.

I do one or two bantu knots or a couple of braids pinned to the top of my head as protective styles. If I do one bantu knot, I often wear a phony pony.

As for regimen, I do conditioner washes twice a week, stretch my touchup to 10-12 weeks, moisturize daily, use no heat except steam curlers every once in awhile, deep condition weekly with steam, protein treatments once a month, and dye my gray with bigen. I use the products in my signature.

I have only been doing good hair care for the last 6 to 8 months or so, but I am so impatient. I needed the boost your words gave me. Thanks again.

Hey jamaicandiva, I read your post and got my lazy but up and braided my hair in the single braids last weekend. I got some human hair and it look the bomb! Thanks for the inspiration!
wink.gif
I was just wondering how long did you leave the braids in? How long did it take you to get that growth? Thank you for posting this thread. Sorry if you answered these questions already didn't read the whole thread it's to long!
look.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Wolftrap said:
AJD..How fast was your hair growing in that year? Were you getting an inch month or 1/2 inch a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, Wolftrap...
I'm sure I got the standard which is no more than 1/2" a month. Unfortunately, I'm not a member of the 1" a month club!
lachen70.gif
As long as it is growing, I am happy! It means that I'm alive...then again, even the deceased's hair grows for a while too!
scratchchin.gif
Anyhow, what I'm trying to say is that it's all about preserving the length that you're accumulating....
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
LEOLADYSW said:
[ QUOTE ]
AJamericanDiva said:
[ QUOTE ]
LEOLADYSW said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Awwwww, Girl!
kiss.gif
I think you can make it.
smile.gif
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you so much for the encouragement and support. You are so sweet.

I do one or two bantu knots or a couple of braids pinned to the top of my head as protective styles. If I do one bantu knot, I often wear a phony pony.

As for regimen, I do conditioner washes twice a week, stretch my touchup to 10-12 weeks, moisturize daily, use no heat except steam curlers every once in awhile, deep condition weekly with steam, protein treatments once a month, and dye my gray with bigen. I use the products in my signature.

I have only been doing good hair care for the last 6 to 8 months or so, but I am so impatient. I needed the boost your words gave me. Thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you started taking backshot photos? I encourage you to do so after every relaxer. It is very encouraging to see that your efforts aren't in vain when you see that hair slowing inching it's way down your back!!!
smile.gif
So far, your plan sounds good. Patience, Girl!!!
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
GiGi said:
Oh - Your daughter's hair is beautiful too!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Gigi! ... and to think, all her growth is accumulated without the use of braids!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
atlien said:
Hey jamaicandiva, I read your post and got my lazy but up and braided my hair in the single braids last weekend. I got some human hair and it look the bomb! Thanks for the inspiration!
wink.gif
I was just wondering how long did you leave the braids in? How long did it take you to get that growth? Thank you for posting this thread. Sorry if you answered these questions already didn't read the whole thread it's to long!
look.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why thanks, ATLien!!!
kiss.gif
I only kept the braids in for 6 weeks tops. The last set of braids had to go by week 5 though. I use the kanekalon hair. I'm tempted to try the human hair one too, though. Post a pic so we can see!!!!! Good growin', Gal!!! I started my haircare journey in March of 2003 up until this point, so that's over 17 months to accumulate that growth. I've worn braids 4 times during that period, basically everytime you see braids in my album. I wanna do a one year braid-a-thon and that started with the last set of braids that I just removed. I wanna re-braid in two weeks or so.

[ QUOTE ]
nicki6 said:
Peace and blessings AJamericanDiva,
It seems that you really touched on what so many of us were feeling!!! This thread is on fire!! I have read every post. You have really done a public service with this post. My hair has grown to shoulder length when I have not done anything so special, so I am aiming for the tops of my shoulder baldes maximum. I think that is the most hair that I want to contend with personally. But who knows..I may get there and feel encouraged to go further.

BTW...I want to steal your baby boy and I don't even want kids!! (lol)

One more question....what is that shade of lipstick that you are wearing in the last pic of your Haircare journey album? Your skin is flawless...any tips? As you can tell, I am an LHCF addict. My excuse tonight is that I am at work and bored.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, Nicki6! I'm sorry I almost lost you in this thread! Thanks for your encouragement.
kiss.gif
I think a lot of us have been "programmed" into believing that we can't really grow our hair long. If we see a "brown" person (as my daughter calls us) with long hair then it's obvious that they must have "good hair" or is of "mixed race" heritage. Then there's the other part of us that may believe that we can do it, but subconsciously are doubting, as if to protect ourself from defeat if we don't make it. The funny thing is that I knew about these clubs almost a year before officially starting my haircare journey, but didn't really think I myself would be capable of getting to even the length that I have now attained. It wasn't until I realized that people had albums and I started looking at them and seeing the transformations. The people didn't even have to have long hair, but just the fact that they were making progress. I'm telling you. So many adults that have known me as a child have been in such a state of, "where did you get all that hair from"... because even though it's grown as I got older, it was never this length and they are taken aback. I even got my Mom into the hair growing thing. She looks to me for advice etc. She's natural though. The funny thing is that both my parents have that softer grade of hair and it completely skipped by me!!!
lachen70.gif
The longstanding phrase as I was coming up was, "You have dryhead like you Gramma!" Well! Needless to say, Grandma feels absolved that I have a head full of hair so she is no longer to blame. Looking at my own pictures have encouraged me. My daughter's pics have encouraged me moreso. It was disheartening to hear her paternal grandmother say, "You'd be so pretty if you had long hair." I would say, "You are pretty already." Her paternal grandmother is what folks from the West Indies would call dougla (don't know if I spelled that right) and I know they thought that she had short nappy hair from me. It was such a touchy topic for me as nappy hair is beautiful. At the same time, I had to be realistic that the mentality in the islands existed that nappy was not really revered. Heck! There are Jamaicans that will still describe hair as "pretty" as in hair type. I kid you not. To be more blunt, some descrive hair as (spelled for pronunciation) "nay-ga" hair and "pretty" hair. I'm from the "nay-ga" hair class. Well, as far as my daughter goes, let's just say her grandmother is shocked and pleased at the condition of Kaila's hair. I let Kaila know that naps are just as beautiful as any other hairtype and she should not feel upset if someone describe her hair a such. Also, now that she has a relaxer and a Mom to take care of it so she can achieve a longer length and when worn down (very rarely), it swings, she shouldn't think she was better than anyone else. OK, let me end here... VENTING, I guess and getting into the psychology behind hair.
laugh.gif

Oh yeah, to answer your questions... my son is such a flirt! Lil' girls and big women alike make complete fools of themselves around him. Is this a player in the making? I hope not?
naughty.gif
As for the lip shade, I put MAC lipglass on first, it's clear and then go over it with MAC lipstick in a shade called Gel. It's a frosty shade. The application of the clear first let's the lipstick go on sheer. Lipliner is MAC's Cork.

Back