Discouraged 4a/4bs... this thread's for you!!!

Re: Discouraged 4a/4bs... this thread\'s for you!!!

This is a great thread! Thanks for that post AJamericanDiva, your hair is gorgeous
smile.gif

American Diva, your hair looks fantastic, I am amazed.
up.gif
I was so shocked
shocked.gif
to see how much length you have, and thank you for writing such an inspirational piece, because sometimes, we need to see that hair growth long hair growth is possible by ladies of 4a/ab
grin.gif
Thank you once again.

I'm laaaaaaaate! (I read every single post, though
smile.gif
)

Your photos are amazing!! When I saw the second picture, I said quite audibly "Holy CRAP!"
tongue.gif

I'm so happy that the braids have been working out for you! I have Robin's video, too, but I can't braid my own hair for jack. The top, where you're supposed to twist and then braid, always comes out like a knob.

You'll be at BSL before me (I'm about one and a half to two inches away). You'll probably be at least an inch past that, the next time you do your braids.

Will you grow it longer, then? (I can't remember if you said you would; I got about two hours sleep last night)

Hey, Miss Bo!!!
I am stealing away to hop on the net as my parole officer is distracted, but not for long. I will come back on and answer everyone's questions. I've added some pics, about 5, to my album of how I styled my hair for church yesterday, considering I have 4 months of new growth. Check my album or here's a direct link... Pic 1 of 5

My braid-a-thon started just last month. I didn't do non-stop braids before. As stated in earlier posts, I only had them 4 times from March 2003 until now. I feel they help you retain length. Length retention is what we're all after here at this board, I would think.
smile.gif

It is so important to take pictures. After I washed my hair, did a protein treatment with Emergencee and then a deep conditioning with Miss Key 10 en 1 Super Conditioner, my hair length looked nothing like the photo. A feeling of discouragement came over me and I was like, "Maybe it really isn't that long. Maybe I'm not really close to brastrap. I even mentioned it to my daughter as it looked no where as long. She was like, "Mom, yes it is. I was there and took the pictures, remember??? It only looks that way because it's washed and shrinked a whole bunch!" I had to reassure myself that pictures do not lie. I was even sure to hold my head up facing straight ahead. That's why I encourage everyone to take pics after every relaxer because while it may appear that your hair isn't growing, it really is. Alright, parole officer cracking the whip... I'll come back on to answer everyone's questions..... We also have to talk about my postpartum hairline.... I'm wondering if I should wait until it recovers before re-braiding.... I really wanna put braids back in, but I know that this is now a very vulnerable area for me. Why I know my hairline is like this due to postpartum shedding... I had this same hairline after giving birth to my daughter over 10 years ago and didn't do braids back then. I also saw it pictured on a white woman in Philip Kingsley's "Hair Bible". It only kicked in after giving birth and is not a result of the braids. It was my intention to do a one year braid-a-thon, but with this hairline, I'm debating what can be done.... ideas anyone in the meantime? I really want to just throw my hair back in braids, but at the same time not jeopardize my hairline and end up looking like Darcelle Wynn from Solid Gold Dancers (ok, I'm dating myself...
lachen70.gif
) or from looking like those Chinese fighting dudes in the movies with the long shiny black hair that starts in the middle of their heads!!!
lachen70.gif
Alright, I'll be back momentarily.... just something to consider in the meanwhile....

[ QUOTE ]
Nay said:
Grow on, with yo' bad self
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif
Its growing nicely.
clap.gif

[ QUOTE ]
AJamericanDiva said:
[ QUOTE ]
Jessy55 said:
Girl, say no more! You've talked me into it!
laugh.gif
I'm gonna buy some hair and I'm gonna braid my own hair this weekend. Hairbraiding challenge, here I come!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OK... do your thang, Girl! If you ever get tired of the braids, you can always take a break. I've only had braids 4 time from March to present, so it's not mandatory to get good growth. In between the braids do protective styles...
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I am braiding my hair as I am typing.
laugh.gif

I plan to wear braids for about 6 weeks, then be loose for 2 weeks while wearing protective styles, then resume braiding again for 6 weeks and so forth. My hair is badly in need of a rest. I had been going to the pool 4 times a week and the manipulation was taking its toll. Thank you for being such an inspiration!
clap.gif

OT Ayeshia,
Your hair just served as an inspiration for me. I find my twa constantly in need of moisturizing. Shoot, it doesn't even respect the distilled water. I noticed that it dries out a lot with the conditioning washes but if I con wash 2ice a week, and moisturize in between with sulphur 8 braid spray, it remains very moisturized and very very soft to the touch. I simply can't stand the snap crackle pop or crispy feel. One last thing, I hope my entire hair grows in as nicely as yours is doing.
Thanks ladies

[ QUOTE ]
TigerLily said:
Thanks so much Diva for posting this for I was getting a little discouraged about my hair. I have braids in right now. I have to chop my hair down to a TWA to get my hair even
cry3.gif
I so needed to see this right now!

Congrats on your hair growth!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Tigerlily!
Don't despair! You'll reach your goal. It's only a matter of time. I haven't quite reached my goal yet and imagine that 17 months has passed since I started in March 2003. You can do it! Keep on giving your hair the TLC that it needs and you'll reap the benefits before you know it. Trust me, I was taken aback when I casually stretched out my hair and saw the length. I ran to get my camera and start a post. You'll get there. You have all the support you need right here at LHCF!!!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
asummertyme said:
girl, u are definity an inspiration!!
ur hair has progressed so nicely!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, ASummertyme! You're avatar had me in stitches. I'm sure "Arnold" would not be pleased a he's trying to be taken seriously now...
lachen70.gif
I'm glad that I was able to inspire you as the countless others here have inspired me...
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
nonie said:
A-J-a-m-e-r-i-c-a-n-D-i-v-a...

Oh hi
wave.gif
I was just adding you to my list of idols, and didn't realize you were sitting there reading this.
grin.gif

Diva, Diva, Diva...is Miracle Gro part of your supplement regimen?
shocked.gif
Dayuuuum!!!

notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif
I'm simply blown away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, Hey Miss Nonie!!!
Stop, Gal! You's making me blush!!!
blush.gif
Now Miracle gro, just taking advantage of the laws of nature!
smile.gif
You reckon hair grows on average 6" a year, so if I can maintain that, I'd be good to go!
smile.gif
17 months have passed since I started this journey of mine, so I am happy to have someting to show fo it!!! Thanks, Gal and keep it growing!!!

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Your hair grew really well! Congrats on finding something that really works for you.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thnaks, Girl! A lot of this learning has been by trying and error.... Don't forget about my blasted Nutrine Garlic shampoo disaster. What I have learned the hard way is to stick with what I know works, although I do get tempted to try things from time to time. The Nutrine was the last straw for me. I darn near went bald!!! :cry: Thanks for the encouragement!

[ QUOTE ]
Sweetyb said:
That really is inspirational. I only hope one day I can reach such a length.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am confident that you can! Keep on lovin' that hair!!!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
HOTCHOCOLATE said:
shocked.gif
You have done a wonderful job on your hair!

[/ QUOTE ]

wave.gif
Thanks, HotChocolate!!!

[ QUOTE ]
FlowerHair said:
Thanks for an inspirational thread, your progress is amazing!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, FlowerHair!!!
kiss.gif

[ QUOTE ]
bunita said:
Hi AJD,
Thanks for replying. I see in your regimen that you also take the whey protein shakes. Do those shakes help alot by achieving hairgrowth? Just asking..
wave.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

To be quite honest with you, Bunita, I really do think the protein shakes are helping. For one thing, I don't really like meat. I only eat it when I crave it. In Philip Kingsley's "Hair Bible" (he's a world renowned trichologist) he said that breakfast and lunch should consist of protein. The energy levels in our hair follicles and body for that matter are at their lowest in the morning and need that boost. He also encourages eating between meals saying we go o more than 4 hours between eating. This is because the amount of enrgy available to non-essential tissue, such as hair follicles, diminishes after this time. "Without enough protein intake, energy is less available for tissue synthesis- the production of cells for tissues such as the hair follicles- whose requirements are very high due to the rapidity of hair-cell reproduction."

Hope this helps.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
cupcakecutie5 said:
Great Progress!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Cupcakecutie!!!
wave.gif

[ QUOTE ]
KathyMay said:
thanks for the motivation AJD. Your little boy is a cutie pie. Dont worry about the shedding I had a lot of it after I had my son.

I am starting to do another "braid a thon". I haven't had a relaxer since March and my hair loves me for that. I thought I couldnt deal with it in its natural state but between taking my cornrows out and using all my hair products my hair feels great

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reassurance that I wouldn't eventually end up baldheaded!!!
lachen70.gif
Even at 4 months post relaxer, I'm not even in a rush to relax. Once you know how to take care of both textures successfully, it makes a big difference. That's fo' sure! Let me know how your braid-a-thon goes. I was supposed to start my braid-a-thon with the braids that I just took out, but the postpartum shedding has left my hairline in an ultra fragile state. I'm contemplating what to do. Without the postpartum shedding invovled, I'd re-braid after the two week time frame and throw it back in briads. Hmmm.... here's my dilemma.

[ QUOTE ]
keylargo said:
Thanks so much for sharing. I enjoy looking through your album. So, what's your next step? Are you redoing braids after the two weeks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Keylargo...
As I was saying, I really want to re-braid my hair after the 2 week time frame, but due to the postpartum shedding, my hairline is in a fragile state. If I put braids back in this would have been the 2nd set of braids since starting my braid-a-thon. I'm trying to figure out a way to protect my hairline. This very same hairline pp shedding happened with my daughter and I wasn't even wearing braids. Trying to decide. Maybe I should cornrow it, leaving out about an inch along the front hair line and the put on a full coverage wig, just until the hairline comes back into its own. See the post partum shedding pic in my album so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about. Thanks for the encouragement!
kiss.gif

[ QUOTE ]
tbcool03 said:
Congratulations AJD!!!!
clap.gif
Great progress, and you will be at your goal in no time!!!:)

I think I need to start back applying my braids. I did the same exact thing last year to grow out my short tapered cut. I started like January 2003 and by Novemeber 2003 my hair was at the top of my neck, and now August 2004 my hair is at the very bottom of my neck. I'm trying to grow out these layers I got back in February which set me back on my hair length.
ohwell.gif

I'm also a true believer that, braids do give excellent growth!!!
wink.gif
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

TBCool, I think the braids are an excellent way to maintain growth! If you can work 'em to your advantage, this is an excellent plan! Thanks for the encouragement and happy growing!!! What's your goal, by the way???

[ QUOTE ]
Nay said:
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Girl!!! ...especially coming from a Feature of the Month!!!
blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
greAtness333 said:
Hi AJD
wave.gif
I'm so happy for your progress. Your hair has grown so much, it's definately an inspiration.
clap.gif
Keep up the good work.
up.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Greatness!!!
kiss.gif

[ QUOTE ]
caligirl2385 said:
your hair looks amazing. congrats, ajd. u r truly an inspiration. *saving this post to favorites for encouragement*

[/ QUOTE ]

Got me blushing, Caligirl!!!
kiss.gif
Just trying to be like the others that were before me! Even when I reach my haircare goal, I'll be here cheering the rest of you on!!!
smile.gif
weird.gif

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
Thanks so much!!

Congrats on all the wonderful progress!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks,DSD!!! You've always had such a positive spirit.
kiss.gif
love that about you!!!

[ QUOTE ]
nurseN98 said:
This is a great thread! Thanks for that post AJamericanDiva, your hair is gorgeous
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Awwww.... thanks, Nurse!!!
wave.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Valerie said:
American Diva, your hair looks fantastic, I am amazed.
up.gif
I was so shocked
shocked.gif
to see how much length you have, and thank you for writing such an inspirational piece, because sometimes, we need to see that hair growth long hair growth is possible by ladies of 4a/ab
grin.gif
Thank you once again.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are most welcome, Valerie!!! Let's use mother nature to our advantage... hair on average grows 6" a year, so it's all about retention. This is 17 months of concentrated effort. We can all do it!!!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Boadicea said:
I'm laaaaaaaate! (I read every single post, though
smile.gif
)

Your photos are amazing!! When I saw the second picture, I said quite audibly "Holy CRAP!"
tongue.gif

I'm so happy that the braids have been working out for you! I have Robin's video, too, but I can't braid my own hair for jack. The top, where you're supposed to twist and then braid, always comes out like a knob.

You'll be at BSL before me (I'm about one and a half to two inches away). You'll probably be at least an inch past that, the next time you do your braids.

Will you grow it longer, then? (I can't remember if you said you would; I got about two hours sleep last night)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Miss Bo! Brastrap is my goal... but hey, if it wants to get any longer, then that's all gravy!!!!
lachen70.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
[ QUOTE ]
Nay said:
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif
Its growing nicely.
clap.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I give God the praise!!! Thanks, Ayeshia!

Back