Dime-sized Amount?!! In What World? : )

Hola, gente bella.

Sincere, though very NOVICE question:

Besides perhaps sealing oil, is there ANY product you use which you put ONE dime-sized amount in your hair and its coverage is correct/effective? And if yes, what is it and how do you know?

I'd like to stretch out my product, saving money in the process, but I end up applying a dime-sized amount to each SECTION, typically.

Maybe I can get away with one nickel-sized amount of shampoo. Maybe.

Do the dime-sized directions work for anyone? Do the manufacturers/designers REALLY expect us to use one dime-sized amount (or do they mean PER hair section)?

TIA! Another set of those directions had me shaking my head and smiling and prompted me to post. :) I guess I'm really wanting to know, now. :)

Last edited:
All I know is that a dime is the smallest in size out of all the coins....I sincerely doubt it would work for any woman, period. Not even dime size amount of shampoo is enough. That "dime sizing" is for Barbie dolls.

Dime size? No but I have thick hair.

However, watching someone go all heavy handed with your expensive product will make you fall back and figure out how much you actually need and it's not the handfuls I used to do. Make sure hair is really wet then start with quarter/half dollar amount, really work it through then see if you need more.

Ditto to all of the above comments. Ain't no way my hair will be conditioned or moisturized on a "dollop" or "dime size" :lol:

That said, I recall following that dime size instruction for Sabino heat protectant. Not only because its so darn expensive but a little is truly all that's needed. ;)

Ditto to all of the above comments. Ain't no way my hair will be conditioned or moisturized on a "dollop" or "dime size" :lol:

That said, I recall following that dime size instruction for Sabino heat protectant. Not only because its so darn expensive but a little is truly all that's needed. ;)

A dime size for the whole head? Wow.

Thanks, all. I really love this forum.

I'm really new to handling hair. Doing my relaxed hair was a piece of cake compared to all I'm having to do for my natural hair. I'm reeling right now from the time and money I'm putting into this, and it's good to be reassured that I'm not THAT far off in understanding hair technique. A dime size!

The only thing that has worked for my 4b hair and using "dime size" amounts is grease. When I blow dry and straighten my hair, I truly only need a dime size amount or two for my whole hair and it's set and will protect it. Also just in general moisturizing it.

With Kerastase products I usually only need a dime size or less. I used a pea size of Nectar Thermique leave in on my ends last night before bed.

I seriously only use about a dime size amount of Herbal Essences long term relationship leave in. A little goes a long way. I swear I got 2 bottles for 5 bucks years ago and I still have a lot left. I don't even think they make it anymore, lol.

I seriously only use about a dime size amount of Herbal Essences long term relationship leave in. A little goes a long way. I swear I got 2 bottles for 5 bucks years ago and I still have a lot left. I don't even think they make it anymore, lol.

Really? Wow. I can't even imagine. Neat.

Nope they don't I was so made when they stopped making it I brought about 6 bottles I used them all up last year

Ltr was bae. I'm so mad they stopped making it

Back