Differences on disciplining children

twilight80

Have you and your husband had disagreements about how to discipline children? If so how do ya'll compromise??

Last edited:
Uh what does emotional carefree mean? Is he doing the no no swat of the hand when she touches things that she shouldn't or is he actually trying to discipline her for exploring?

Off topic but kinda on...I'm starting to notice that alot of our children have too much fear in them. I don't neccessarily think that this is a good thing because it doesn't keep them from getting in trouble but it does seem to keep them from taking chances in life on other levels. JMO

Off topic but kinda on...I'm starting to notice that alot of our children have too much fear in them. I don't neccessarily think that this is a good thing because it doesn't keep them from getting in trouble but it does seem to keep them from taking chances in life on other levels. JMO

HMMM, Very interesting and I think what you say is true. In a book I read on positive discipline a few months ago the author stated that if you instill fear in children they never learn self control and the become extremly sneak or fearfully sudmissive.

HMMM, Very interesting and I think what you say is true. In a book I read on positive discipline a few months ago the author stated that if you instill fear in children they never learn self control and the become extremly sneak or fearfully sudmissive.
I'm not for beating kids or instilling fear but look at the world and kids today. Teachers are scared to death of 2nd graders. Sorry the good ole dayz and old school training was worth something.

1 year olds need to be disciplined. But not for everything. I would not punish a kid if what they did was not malicious or of bad intent, or disobedience.

Perhaps the two of you may benefit from a parenting class. I don't have kids but I babysit for a family who has 6 kids, and they went to a parenting class. Their kids are soooooo well-behaved. Extremely. And not afraid.

ITA- from living and having these behaviors....:perplexed

pudding can you pm me the name of the books. sounds interesting.

i think it's common to disagree, especially since its your first child. we still have discussions after events happen on what's the best discipline technique. as time goes on you learn what works and what doesn't.

I think the book she is talking about is actually called "Positive Discipline". It is by Jane Nelson.

BEST PARENTING BOOK EVER. Once you read it, you will say "duh" and daily behavioral issues will END. You and DH won't need to argue about discipline because its will be easy and things will change almost overnight.

And, you will never have to yell at kids ever again to get them behaving. My grandmother was a teacher for 30 years and told me about this book. It has the principles she used in the classroom to control her students.

Last edited:
I think the book she is talking about is actually called "Positive Discipline". It is by Jane Nelson.

BEST PARENTING BOOK EVER. Once you read it, you will say "duh" and daily behavioral issues will END. You and DH won't need to argue about discipline because its will be easy and things will change almost overnight.

And, you will never have to yell at kids ever again to get them behaving. My grandmother was a teacher for 30 years and told me about this book. It has the principles she used in the classroom to control her students.

Yup, thats the book.
Wonderful book?- Yes,

Great concept ?- Yes,

Does it work ? -Yes

Is it easy to implement? NO. Far from easy.

It's really hard to stop yelling and beating ass when thats all you know from your childhood and from those with children around you but its well worth the effort. It's still a work in progress with my family though but I do see great improvements in my kids' behavior when I use positive discipline consistently.

It's really hard to stop yelling and beating ass
when thats all you know from your childhood and from those with children around you but its well worth the effort. It's still a work in progress with my family though but I do see great improvements in my kids' behavior when I use positive discipline consistently.

Serious topic, I know.
But the bold made me :lachen:

I've nothing else to add.

Back